John Mellencamp Community
April 19, 2024, 02:49:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: set list  (Read 4967 times)
spokenplain
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:06:00 am »

With over 20 albums to his catalog why doesn't Mellencamp change his set list? It seems like he just plays a few songs over and over again. He could do a whole show of non hit songs and I am sure everyone would still be happy. Any ideas?? Maybe get the old band back and rock once again
MadWiccan
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:24:05 pm »

I don't think everyone would be happy. I'm sure the majority of us on here would love to see a concert of his where he does lots of the "non hits". But I think a lot of people who buy tickets would be pretty disappointed if he didn't play Pink Houses, Jack & Diane, Small Town, etc. With the number of classic hits he's got, there's probably about 10 songs he has to put in each time, because that's what the audience wants. And so many are likely first time ticket buyers for his shows so they'd want to hear the classics.

I do like that he usually includes one or two slightly more obscure songs from his past catalogue in each new tour. But I would love to see a concert where he played some of his other great songs. What he's doing sure works though. I've brought a few friends to his shows over the last few years who were all casual fans and they've all been blown away.

Swell67
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »

I am happy to hear what ever he plays and i agree, his catalogue of hits and other songs is vast. I hope he mixes it up a bit between states or tours, but it is easy for me to say this, I'm not on stage remembering words and entertaining the masses.  Roll Eyes
bju
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 12:41:30 pm »

I heard John tell the following story on a radio interview:

John attended a Bob Seger concert in Detroit.  I believe Bob is from the Detroit area and is loved there.

Seger proceeds to play all of the songs from his new album, ignoring the old sing along hits that the crowd wants to hear.

Bob is then booed mercilessly by the crowd.

John leaves that show knowing that his job is to play the hits.

I guess it boils down to what we do with our lives, how we deal with our own destiny - JM 87
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: