John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 11:32:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp got booed at NL concert last night...  (Read 37753 times)
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:33:41 pm »

It's really too bad. The venue had nothing to do with it and VERY apologetic. All his other shows seem to have postive reviews but the consensus in St. John's is widely negative (maybe tonight well be better). I think the main issue lies in that it was his people who encouraged people back after they started exiting the venue making it seem as though there would be an encore. Then eveyone booed him for 5 minutes or so when nothing happened. His people were also trying to delete photos on people's cell phones! I watched it happen several times.

I think you are making assumptions about who are John's people and who are the venues' hired security. John has exactly 1 person who goes out in the crowd at shows, his stage manager. The person often comes out before the show and tells the front row what is and isn't cool. Then he will walk through the crowd a few times during the show looking for issues.

Is it possible he saw someone, from looking out from the side of the stage, who was using a professional grade camera or was way overusing their camera and made them delete the pictures? Possibly.

Far more likely it was an overzealous venue security person and from first hand experience they can vary wildly from section to section, show to show.

No one from John's team would tell people to go back to their seats or tell them to cheer for an encore or anything like that. They know John doesn't generally do them and wouldn't want to work the crowd up for one. That sounds like all local security's actions there.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 07:41:32 pm »

Thanks for explaning Tony. As far as encores,   people should do research before going.
joann13
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »

Well here's my take on the July 7th show in St. John's....

ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' AWESOME! 

I found it quite nice to not have flashes going off all around me.  Yes, venue security laid it all out as soon as I sat in my seat.  No cameras and no phones...PERIOD!  That was not a problem for me as I left my camera at home and had no intention of using my phone anyway!  I was in the front row and had a super awesome time.  Didn't sit down all night!

For the most part the whole front row was quite courteous and obviously there to enjoy the show and not cause any fuss.

I did notice a guy behind me in the second row trying to take pics and the venue security just told him to put it away.  He didn't take it and delete anything. 

All in all, the concert was a lovely experience for me. 

Oh, and regarding John not interacting with the crowd?  Well I can say for sure that there was a whole lot of interaction tonight!

Thank you John Mellencamp and team for one of my best concert experiences ever!  God Bless you all!  MUAH!!!!!   Grin
Jake9000

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »

I just came back from the second of John's concerts in St. John's, I have to say it was fantastic!
There was a "no picture taking" announcement made, and for the most part it was followed.  There was noticeably less picture taking than at the recent Tom Petty concerts.

Again, there was no encore tonight, but he asked for the house lights to be brought up after he introduced the band, and then stated there would be two more songs "that you can dance to".
It was very obvious there would be no encore.

I think it was an excellent show and was very pleased with my seats gained through the premiere packages at VIP Live nation.

All in all a great night!  Thanks for coming to St John's.
lette
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:21 pm »

I've seen John a bunch of times and never noticed any issue with picture taking. I have taken a few myself and also recorded a few songs but they never come out well! I do agree it is a nuisance and all the flashing probably is distracting for John. I do remember in the last couple of shows I saw last year John asking everyone to get out their cellphones and then John taking a cellphone from someone in the front row and chatting to someone on the end of the persons phone so for him to make such an abrupt "U" turn does seem strange.
I went to a Kid Rock show 2 years ago in Toronto when a couple behind me got dragged out for taking pictures with a camera while all around me people were continuing to take pictures with cellphones I dont see the point in that at all myself surely a picture is a picture cellphone or camera? As for the encoure I to agree that John has never done much of an encoure and personally I dont see the point in them if it was a good show thats good enough for me. Just listen to the set list and if he's done most of the major hits then there wont be an encoure if a few big numbers are missing then John may come back and do those songs as an encoure!
balsamic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 11:56:12 pm »

I get it, it is a real shame that people have become so addicted to watching a screen be it a smart phone or ipad or flatscreen monitor. We have lost part of the way we interact with performers giving live performances. John comes from a time not too long ago when he used to look at his audience they would be interacting in the performance. It's so very important - showing expression with how the artist makes you feel- with every note sung or scene acted. Watch people seated in a arena durring a live sporting event - they will watch the wide screen more than the actual players durring a game, we are hooked on these screens!!. So everyone, put your cameras away and just soak up the moment that the perfomance and artists are providing for you.
You life is now..............
Michael  " balsamic"
Surrey B.C. Canada

Ps. Thanks to John and band for the two memorable shows i had the honor of watching Penticton and Abbotsford.To Mike W. let me know when you need more Fig & Fire Reduction ( from Penticton Farmers Market).

FiG & FiRe !
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 08:56:21 am »

Last week we went to see Roger Waters and "The Wall". It was one of the most spectacular and interesting things I have ever seen.  However, every third person was sitting there, looking at their phones, texting and not even looking at the show.  Between that and walking out to get more beer, 5 times during the first half, I wonder why people even go to the concert. 

I still think about the idiot behind me screaming for a particular song at JM's Heinz Hall concert at the beginning of the NBTT tour. Sometimes you need to shut up and listen, you might enjoy the show.  I didn't come to listen to you.

People.
dusty947
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 01:02:25 pm »

Amen Jakesmom204!  We went to see John Prine last week in Rochester, MN  And for an older crowd, I felt they were so disrespectful.  They kept hollering things when he tried to sing a ballad or in between songs they would yell out for him to sing a certain song.  He responded once and said...."I know that one too".  Then a lady proceeded to walk up to the stage and tried to get on the stage.... guess what?.... she did get on stage but only to do a digger (fell right on her back....) and since the security guards were seniors they had a hard time trying to get her off stage during the song "It's going to be a long Monday"  She was kicked out of the 1100 seat venue but why do people think it's OK to ruin it for the rest of them.  Selfishness. I was embarrassed to be among one of the faces in this crowd.  I am sure artists get used to all this nonsense but why do people have to behalf to badly?  Again, we are here and there to listen to the artist not people who need to get a chuckle from some other idiot in the crowd.  Disrespect is all I can say.  So sad.  No cameras were requested from him at the venue so I left mine in the hotel room.  Most waited until the last song or curtain call to pull theirs out.  That was some respect.  We were seated in the 6th row.  I saw very few pull their cameras out.  That is RESPECT!
mellenfan
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31:42 pm »

Watching some YouTube videos it looks like mike wanchic is missing from recent shows. Can anyone verify this and where he's at?
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 10:34:17 am »

I like that reply from Tony about people spending more time with their devices than watching the show.  I, too, enjoy a "souvenier" photo of the "concert I was at"....but it amazes me how much time others spend snapping pictures and filming videos.  It's very easy to do now.  But in my mind they are missing the whole point of being at a concert.  They are not experiencing the full excitement of the show.  So yeah - I guess when the majority start mis-behaving, it's time to put your foot down and so no-more.  I think John wants his audience to watch and listen.  I witnessed his repremand at a concert last year when he told some chatters in the front row to take it out into the hallway if they wanted to have a conversation.  Seriously, why are you spending the money on attending a concert if you're going to stand around and chat and snap pictures through the whole thing?  And, hey - my husband is a "picture snapping" and I will be happy that someone else is going to tell him to put his phone away!!!!!!!!!!  There was always a bit of a thrill in trying to sneek a picture....

Just sayin--

"-somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mary in Michigan
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: