John Mellencamp Community
April 20, 2024, 07:09:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp got booed at NL concert last night...  (Read 38422 times)
Newfie24
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:42:06 am »

No encore, everyone starts to file out of the stadium then his security guys near the stage start clapping their hands to get the remaining crowd pumped up and everyone comes back in, but nothing...people were REALLY mad. Now don't get me wrong the show wasn't bad but his lack of interaction with the audience really put a damper on things.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 08:53:14 am »

He doesn't do encores, SO WHAT! From what I have seen of the set list, he is putting on a great long show. They should be greatful. He hasn't come close to where I could go to any of the shows so I am grateful to see the photos and videos posted.

So John keep on Rockin!

Grin
fourloops
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:10 am »

Encores are so fake and contrived - and John is not.  What you see is what you get and admire his honesty and genuineness Roll Eyes
Newfie24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:31:01 am »

Encore is a standard that shows respect for your audience. He did not do that, he also had his own security going around deleting people's pictures. It was ridiculous! Who does that? By far the poorest preformance I have seen to date and I have seen a lot of them.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:52:29 am »

Encore is a standard that shows respect for your audience. He did not do that, he also had his own security going around deleting people's pictures. It was ridiculous! Who does that? By far the poorest preformance I have seen to date and I have seen a lot of them.

I saw quite a few great comments on FB about his Concert last night(except for no encore).

Have u been to any other of his concerts before? Its always the same format for the most part.

No 1. he does not do encores, respect has nothing to do with it.
No 2. It is always announced that NO recordings /photos are allowed during the concert, and they mean it.

Maybe the moderators can elaborate more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:37:27 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

There a note on the forum dated a couple of years ago about camera policy. But I guess it either changed by John or even the venue, which explains not many have been posted.
My opinion, I hope pictures can be taken, you want to remember those events clearly.

here the quotes on camera policy.

Quote from: geislesa on August 12, 2010, 12:14:03 AM
Are small point and shoot cameras allowed at the shows, or is it according to venue? I would hope to think they are all becoming more lax with all the fancy phones out there today.

Thank You!

It always starts with venue policy, because no matter what we say what the building managers tell their security people the night of show is what happens.

However in the past few tours John and his staff has loosened up allowing non professional cameras to be used at shows. However use them sparingly, don't take hundreds of pictures, it can be very annoying to John & band, especially if you are up close. Also don't use flash, it doesn't improve the picture in a concert situation and just proves to be a distraction.

Again this is for NON professional cameras (aka small/portable or cell phones). Cameras with big zoom lenses or detachable lenses are going to probably draw attention and might end up with security coming over to you.

Now I DO NOT know what our policy will be on the fall tour. It is best to ask me about a week before the first show. Things could be different in theaters this time compared to arenas or outdoor amphitheaters.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »

I only have great things to say about Mellencamps show in Abbotsford on June 19th, 2012.  There was nothing but applause and praise.  The show was fantastic.  John is a true showman.  It really can't get "No Better Than This".  I was so impressed with his show last year.  It was flawless as was the show this year.

I hope to see John again next year. (promoting a new album)

Mike 
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »

There is one more thing I'd like to add.  On the subject of taking pictures or videos, there was no problem.  A lot of people were doing that at the Abbotsford show.  My brother actually recorded John while he was performing Small Town.  The video actually turned out pretty good.

Mike
Newfie24

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 02:37:22 pm »

It's really too bad. The venue had nothing to do with it and VERY apologetic. All his other shows seem to have postive reviews but the consensus in St. John's is widely negative (maybe tonight well be better). I think the main issue lies in that it was his people who encouraged people back after they started exiting the venue making it seem as though there would be an encore. Then eveyone booed him for 5 minutes or so when nothing happened. His people were also trying to delete photos on people's cell phones! I watched it happen several times.
richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »

I always turn my cell phone off at a concert. There are always good photos to download from the internet. I think it's very annoying to see folks holding their cells phones up at a show. Especially when they are in front of me. Enjoy the show.

RichM752rnEverything is cool as can be in a peaceful world.rnrnrnrnrn
Newfie24

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »

I saw quite a few great comments on FB about his Concert last night(except for no encore).

For the NS concert I think. All the St. John's ones are for the most part negative.

Ex:
*Just seen him, disappointed. Never came out for an encore, a good night out, but not what I expected.

*John, I'm a Hoosier living in St. John's who got to see your show as a belated Father's Day gift. You are one of my major musical idols, and tonight, you made a lot of your fans angry with a lack of an encore. Also, how is it the No Better Than This Tour, when you're only playing one song from the new album? I love your music, John, but I kind of wish I could get my money back.

*Saw the concert last nite it was great loved it but dissappointed there was no encore.we cheered,clapped and even stampped our feet but no encore .Sad

*What's up with NO ENCORE in St. John's, NL on Friday night!!!! Maybe Saturday night we'll get one!!?Huh

Source: http://www.facebook.com/johnmellencampdotcom
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »

I have a problem with that. To tell people no taking pictures is one thing but his people trying to delete pictures from cell phones is ridiculous.
Something is not right with this picture.  Huh
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »

I always turn my cell phone off at a concert. There are always good photos to download from the internet. I think it's very annoying to see folks holding their cells phones up at a show. Especially when they are in front of me.

Yes! Big problem at Many concerts.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:45:56 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 07:27:50 pm »

There a note on the forum dated a couple of years ago about camera policy. But I guess it either changed by John or even the venue, which explains not many have been posted.
My opinion, I hope pictures can be taken, you want to remember those events clearly.

here the quotes on camera policy.

Quote from: geislesa on August 12, 2010, 12:14:03 AM
Are small point and shoot cameras allowed at the shows, or is it according to venue? I would hope to think they are all becoming more lax with all the fancy phones out there today.

Thank You!

It always starts with venue policy, because no matter what we say what the building managers tell their security people the night of show is what happens.

However in the past few tours John and his staff has loosened up allowing non professional cameras to be used at shows. However use them sparingly, don't take hundreds of pictures, it can be very annoying to John & band, especially if you are up close. Also don't use flash, it doesn't improve the picture in a concert situation and just proves to be a distraction.

Again this is for NON professional cameras (aka small/portable or cell phones). Cameras with big zoom lenses or detachable lenses are going to probably draw attention and might end up with security coming over to you.

Now I DO NOT know what our policy will be on the fall tour. It is best to ask me about a week before the first show. Things could be different in theaters this time compared to arenas or outdoor amphitheaters.

John is no longer comfortable with picture taking at his shows. He loosened up and let it happen for a few legs, but by the end of the last leg of the tour it had become extremely distracting and disappointing to him. People up front were spending more time with their devices than they were enjoying the concert. Worse they were distracting others around them. So now we have swung back to the no cameras.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:53 pm »

Thanks Tony for clarifing this, of coarse it takes a few people to spoil it for everybody.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: