John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 04:37:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Ghost Brothers" Not Scary Enough for Broadway  (Read 10872 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »

Not scary enough for B’way
Stephen King should turn off the ‘Darkland’ director
By Michael Riedel
New York Post

Stephen King has killed off all sorts of characters in his 49 or so novels.

Now that he’s working in the theater, he might have a go at killing off his director

"Ghost Brothers of Darkland County,” a musical King’s written with John Mellencamp, opened this week at the Alliance Theater in Atlanta. And while the local yokel critic called Susan Booth’s direction “mesmerizing,” tough minded Broadway insiders who caught the show say she should be interred in “Pet Sematary.”

“The music is excellent, and the story’s pretty good, but this production can’t work in New York,” one of my spies says. “They have to get rid of the director.”

Another source says: “The first act is confusing. There’s too much going on and the pacing is slack. The director seems more interested in showing off what she can do at her theater than in putting together a coherent production. There are lots of special effects, like a full-size car that appears for about 15 seconds. It’s pointless.”

That’s rough. But let’s be honest: Broadway’s a scary place—scarier, sometimes, than the Marsten House in “Salem’s Lot.”

And if you’re not up to steering a $10 million plus musical through its tricky terrain, sooner or later you’re going to get it in the neck.

The situation down in Atlanta is, however, delicate. Booth has been a champion of “Darkland County” for a long time. She’s also raised the Alliance’s profile by turning it into a Broadway try out house, launching such musicals as “The Color Purple,” “Come Fly With Me” and “Sister Act.”

“She’s an excellent administrator,” says a Broadway producer who’s worked at the Alliance.

“But like everybody else in show business, she wants to direct.”

King and Mellencamp are fond of her and on opening night seemed pleased with her production.

But what do they know about bringing a musical to Broadway?

A production source says they weren’t around during rehearsals all that much, and that “Darkland County” is “sort of a busman’s holiday for them. It’s a nice little sideline, a little diversion from writing novels and giving concerts.

“They need a strong director who will sit down with them and make them rewrite scenes and songs.”

“Darkland County” tells the story of a backwoods Mississippi family in the grip of a crime that occurred 40 years before. The narrator is a mysterious punk rocker called Shape.

Shape should be creepy, but in Booth’s hands “he’s about as sinister as the narrator in ‘Rock of Ages,’” says one of my sources, snickering.

The cast is a mix of local actors and New York stage veterans— Emily Skinner and Shuler Hensley, both of whom, I’m told, are excellent.

Mellencamp has written some “terrific songs,” according to a source—country, blues, rock, all “brilliantly” orchestrated by T Bone Burnett.

King’s book packs plenty of twists and, at its best, is as creepy as any of his novels.

My sense is that “Darkland County” is promising—and, with King’s name above the title, it’s certainly commercial.

But I don’t think New York producers or investors will open their wallets until a seasoned Broadway director comes on board.

Mellencamp and King should follow the lead of two other high-profile Broadway newcomers— Bono and The Edge.

They had no qualms about stabbing poor Julie Taymor in the back when “Spider Man:Turn Off the Dark” spun out of control. And, unlike Taymor, a regional theater director is not going to sue a couple of gazillionaires like Stephen King and John Mellencamp.

Pitching her overboard should be a cinch.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/not_scary_enough_for_way_xBhroeeVlltBwYqs5TpiaP#ixzz1rtJmNbdn
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:33:38 pm by walktall2010 » Logged
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:49:31 am »

That's too bad. Some of King's movies used to be disappointing in the end. I knew John's music wouldn't. I was hopeful.
I still think people will like it or go see it. It looked very impressive, don't you think?
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

That's too bad. Some of King's movies used to be disappointing in the end. I knew John's music wouldn't. I was hopeful.
I still think people will like it or go see it. It looked very impressive, don't you think?
nope
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:16:21 am »

I disagree.  Angry
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:18 am »

thats ok. i know better. however i do agree with you jm and meg do look odd together. she looks like she came from the darkside of the moon. it wont last between them. nothing to worry about. still love your songs john
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:47:13 am »

thats ok. i know better. however i do agree with you jm and meg do look odd together. she looks like she came from the darkside of the moon. it wont last between them. nothing to worry about. still love your songs john
WTF does Meg have to do this thread? Huh You sound like a broken record.
BTW. JM and SK never meant the show for Broadway, so what's the big deal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:08:25 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:45 pm »

WTF does Meg have to do this thread? Huh You sound like a broken record.
BTW. JM and SK never meant the show for Broadway, so what's the big deal.
oh get over yourself mellenfan, some of us dont agree with the pairing of john and meg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: