John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 06:38:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time for John to lighten up.  (Read 16771 times)
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:10:45 am »

I've been a fan of John's since 83, i respect his talent and acomplishments and his tenacity, i own every album, have attended about fifteen shows and will probably go  to grave listening to John's music, having said that i find John's demeanor in his interviews of late to be a real downer.

He's a fun guy on stage and on Letterman, and doesn't seem to take himself too seriously when in those situations, but his interviews of late on A&E, the one in NY this week and in many print articles are real bummers, someone should tell him that he's not old, is not about to die and that he doesn't look like a sack of shit.

On the subject of his music i actually prefer John's new songs ''as dark as they are'' but i just hate it when he tries to disown or put down the songs that made him what he is today, by doing that he's showing a lack of respect for his fans, and he's certainly not gaining new ones, Jack And Diane, Small Town, Pink Houses are timeless classics, that is why people like and want to hear them, it's not because people are stupid.

The thing that irks me the most is whenever John is asked to name one great song of his, his answer is always ''i haven't written yet'' give me a fuckin' break John, you've written countless great songs, there are more great songs in your last two albums alone than most artists write in a lifetime, you're writing better songs these days than even your ''and mine'' hero Bob Dylan, please stop being so negative, and stop insulting us.
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

Kicker I agree with you 100%, the poor guy needs to loosen up a little.  Hes had a hell of a good life, 5 kids, beautiful wifes, his father is still around, survived a heart attack, written hundreds of great songs, had some amazing tours (including this one), rock and roll hall of fame, farm aid, etc... and yet when you hear him talk its like none of that existed.  It does seem insulting and John you arn't that old buddy.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »

ITA, ridiculous he thinks  59 is so damn old. You had/have an an amazing life and career John, Quite dissing it.
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:49:23 pm »

Couldn't agree more.  Have fun and enjoy every moment of your life John!!!  You are the man and your fans love you!!!!!!!

There is a time to cry and a time to get with it.
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:15:14 am »

Have fun and enjoy every moment of your life John!!!

This is what John preaches to us in songs, and i really believe John is a happy man, so why does he sound so unhappy in these interviews, and it only seems to be getting worse.

I really don't know what he's thinking,  if he only knew what a turn-off this, i don't even send links or recommend him to friends when i know he's being interviewed on TV, and it saddens me to say this, but i won't even watch him any more unless he's only performing.
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

I too have wondered about these interviews I read.....they do always seem dark, cranky, etc.  I've met John a few times.  I've seen him perform more times than I can count.  When my relatives were asking me about the divorce (because I'm supposed to know everything about John) I told them that I figured Elaine had gotten tired of his attitude because I had heard he's very hard to live with - cranky, ornery, stubborn, etc.  My sister-in-law asked me if he had ever been that way when I met him and I said, "No."  So I don't really understand all these reports and I don't understand these interviews.  Sometimes I think you need to see his face to understand the true meaning of what he says....because sometimes I think it's tongue in cheek.  Or maybe he's trying to be too humble....I don't know.  The one interview from some magazine, (forget the name of it) where they talk about him brandishing a cane and Elaine deserving a better man, was VERY disturbing to me.  Personally I've never seen-with-my-own-two-eyes this John Mellencamp.  And I said back then that he's NOT THAT OLD and needs to stop thinking he is. 

Mary in Michigan
"-somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »

I figured Elaine had gotten tired of his attitude because I had heard he's very hard to live with - cranky, ornery, stubborn, etc

But, Didn't he file for divorce?
Maybe they just got sick of each other, It happens.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:29:08 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »

I agree with the opening post except for the "I haven't written it" part.  I love that about John the most.  If you feel like you've already peaked, then what is going to drive you personally?  We as fans have our favorites "Love and Happiness" and feel like he is cheating himself, but his motivation is to keep on writing the best songs he can.  The day he says he has done that is the day he quits.  I for one do not want that day to come any time soon.

Lighten up a little on yourself John.  We all love your musical talent and enjoy the passion you bring to the table and your innovative approach to songwriting and delivering your music in a variety ways.  NEVER STOP TRYING FOR THE PERFECT SONG!  We are all the benefactors of this amazing journey known as the life of John Mellencamp.

BTW, I remember when John stated that "Human Wheels" was the best song he ever wrote.  Love that one too!!!   Smiley

It sure would feel good to feel good again, Oh My Sweet Love...
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:06 am »

Have to agree with this....I, too, think that if he feels he's written the perfect song he will quit.  Yes - we all are fortunate to be the recipients of his thoughts and musing.  He is taking us through life with his music. 

I also tend to think that when it's "not business" John is a very comical guy.  Maybe it's the whole shop talk that irritates him.  And really - they keep asking the same stuff...

Mary in Michigan
"-somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:08 am »

Couldn't agree more.  Have fun and enjoy every moment of your life John!!!  You are the man and your fans love you!!!!!!!

Well said!!!!!
hoffman1611
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:05 am »

This is one of the best posts I ever read on here. Couldn't possibly agree more with you
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »

A lot of artists say that they haven't written the perfect song yet.  John's put out a lot of songs that could be considered perfect. 

As for him saying he's old, maybe when he looks back on his live, marriage and career, there might be things he wishes he could have changed.  As the years pass and he reflects on this, he might get a little down.  It's really hard to say.

Mike   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: