John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 05:44:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen  (Read 15915 times)
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »

THE BOSS is one of my all time favorites.  His 1982 album Nebraska is the one that got me hooked.  Musically speaking there are some similarities between Springsteen and Mellencamp.

Other favorite artists are Nazareth. (mainly their classic stuff from the 1970s)  Bob Seger, Warren Zevon, Johnny Cash, Rolling Stones, Elvis "The King" Presley and Big Country to name a few.

Mike          
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »

Sorry, don't mean to step on any toes, but to me Springsteen is not even in the same ballpark with Mellencamp.
To be honest, I hate it when people make that comparision.
dusty947
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:14 pm »

There is absolutely NO comparison regarding John and Bruce.  John is a prophet and Bruce can't sing.  I know many Mellenheads agree with me. 
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »

They don't call Bruce "THE BOSS" for nothing.  It is also a well known fact that Bruce has sold a lot more albums than John. (Born In The USA sold about 15,000.000 copies)  What I like about both of these guys is the fact that they both have a lot of mutual resect for one another.

The comparison is this, I can imagine Bruce doing a version of Pink Houses and John doing a version of Racing In The Streets.  Or Bruce could do Easter Eve and John could do The New Timer. (just to name a couple of tunes that are comparable to some degree)  That's why I say there is a comparison.    

I have been to a few Springsteen shows and the man can sure belt it out.  He's got a powerful voice and he definitely can sing.

Mike

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:06:52 pm by Smalltownboy » Logged
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »

You certainly have a right to your opinion, however, I totally disagree. "The Boss" as you put it, is not the boss of anything in my opinion. Selling a certain number of records doesn't prove anything to me. In fact, an artist who sells a  lot of records just means that the mainstream or crowd  happen to like them. I do not like Mellencamp because he is popular with the crowd.  I don't think John cares if he is popular with the crowd. Actually a reason I like him. Again, Springsteen is not in the same ballpark as Mellencamp.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:55:48 am »

I like John because he has made and still makes great music.  I like Springsteen for the same reason.  Both of them love Bob Dylan and Dylan is also in another league. 

If Mellencamp sold 15,000.000 album and Bruce only sold a 1,000.000, you'd be singing a different tune.  At least that's the way your sounding.  They're both great artists and deserve the recognition they are receiving.  Why don't people just leave it at that.

As for THE BOSS reference, that was something he was dubbed many years ago.  Elvis was "the King".  Was he really a king?

Mike   

Heartlandrocker
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:26:35 pm »

Bruce springsteen and john mellencamp shoud be on the same ball park!!...the 2 best ever performers hav consistantly proved themselves all nite!!...2 new albums from the boss in the fall...."running scared"(acoustic)...and "cloudburst"(e-st band)...also check out hyde park 09,london...stunning show!
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 05:19:15 pm »

It's "in the same ball park." Nor do I think Springstein is in the same "league." Afterall, this is a Mellencamp lovers site. Smiley
Heartlandrocker
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 03:16:27 am »

I am a john mellencamp lover....and a bruce springsteen lover!!
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:45 pm »

The two new albums were an April fools joke which Backstreets does every year.  So as far as new material goes, we'll have to wait for a legitimate new album news update.  It's a given that we all like Mellencamp but in this section we're talking about other artists we like.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Mike       
Heartlandrocker
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »

Thanks mike!...im an april fool,read it on backstreets!...im enjoyin ur posts..u know ur music!
Heartlandrocker
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:25 pm »

Babys back!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: