John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 10:05:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp on Letterman  (Read 7880 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:06 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUFnQrkJWzk (interview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGZiS7cn9A (Save Some Time to Dream)

Hours before taping The Late Show With David Letterman Monday night, John Mellencamp soundchecked a cover of Blind Willie McTell's "Delia" and talked to Rolling Stone about his new dark material. "If you look back at American music, like 'Delia,' it was all about death and suffering," he said. "That why they call it blues. In today's world we have so many candy-coated songs that have become popular music."

He also shared his views on his longtime friend Willie Nelson's arrest in Texas for possession of marijuana. "It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Mellencamp said. "He had the IRS mess with him a few years ago and lost everything. Willie's always doing good things for people with the American farmers and biodiesel. He's always doing something. We should all aspire to have the kind of kindness that Wilie has. And to arrest him for something stupid..."

On Letterman, Mellencamp played a stark, solo acoustic version of his new song "Save Some Time To Dream" (see video above). Before his performance he sat on the couch to talk with Letterman about his refusal to quit smoking despite his health problems and pleas from his doctors and family. He estimated that he's smoked 650,000 cigarettes throughout his life. "I'm toast," he said.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/68404/239883
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »

I haven't got to watch the DVR yet, but watched the youtubes...thank you for posting!  I loved it!!!!  The lil' interview was great & I LOVE the facial hair. Smiley   Smiley   Double smiling!
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:49:02 pm »

awesome performance, his last two performances on letterman were "someday" and "trouble land", but this one takes the cake.  beard is great, what a badass
mellenq
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:23:20 am »

Thank God for youtube!  Sat up late to catch this show, sat through the other guests, and woke up when John was half way through the 2nd verse of Take Some Time To Dream....I was dreaming alright!!! argh! Cry

only promises I know to be true, are the promises made from the heart. ~MQDU~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: