John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 03:21:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Indy Veterans Day Show - Lack of Respect  (Read 15503 times)
bmontgom2001
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »

I have been a fan of Mellencamp's music since growing up in a small Indiana town. I was thankful for the opportunity to spend my hard-earned cash last night but I was very disappointed with his attack on our military. The lack of tact on Veterans day shows his total lack of disregard for the troops that have fought for our freedom.

He owes our brave Veterans an apology. Please show some respect!
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:32 pm »

Was it a comment on our government or our military, can't see John attacking our troops, he always shows much love and support for our military folks.  Just curious what he said.
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:50:58 pm »

It's the comments he makes before "Jackie Brown" about how we can always come up with money for bombs and war, but not for feeding our own people and helping those who are down and out. I don't think that is in any way offensive to our troops, but as the man himself said, "people believe what they want to believe, when it makes no sense at all."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:40:05 pm by walktall2010 » Logged
bmontgom2001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:39:09 pm »

I agree and believe it was more about the government; however, he is an extremely smart guy. He could have easily said 'I love the troops and appreciate their service on this Veterans day' but don't support our government's military policy. The people in our section were pissed-off and found the comments tasteless on Veterans day. Our troops are the reason he's able to speak freely and write songs without the fear of retribution. 
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 09:18:38 pm »

When all those people were booing, someone should have reminded them that in 2007 John performed in front in wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Medical Center. He supports the troops even if he doesn't support the war; it's not his fault people misinterpreted his comments.
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »

I was at the Nashville show and he pretty much says the same things at each concert. I had read about the set up of the show from someone who had been at the first concert in Bloomington. I didn't think what he said, at least in Nashville, was the least bit offensive. My dad was in the Navy for six years. His brother, who was at Pearl Harbor, and Uncle were Career Navy. I totally support the troops, but I am against war in general.
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:51 pm »

Everything is as cool as can be in a peaceful world.  We all know that John believes in peace and I don't think he is cutting any of the guys down for defending our country.  He has a right to say what he thinks just like all of us do.  It would of been good to say thanks to all of the veterans on such a special day but he isn't perfect either.

There is a time to cry and a time to get with it.
petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:54:04 am »

Too funny to me.  We all cheered in KC when he made similar comments.  John is pretty much saying the same thing each night.  However, it comes out differently each time.  I imagine he looks for the right words spur of the moment.  It is possible that it was not as eloquent as he would have liked.
In KC, it was along the lines of "It is amazing how much money our country spends on bombs and war, but we won't even spend money on hungry people right over here" or something close to that.  Again, a loud cheer followed.

So sorry if anyone was offended.  However, those that have followed John's career at all KNOW FOR A FACT that he would never put the troops down.

Pete

It sure would feel good to feel good again, Oh My Sweet Love...
joy2010

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:44:22 am »

Some things get better with age...John's performance is one of those things.  Save Some Time to Dream is one of the finest songs on the No Better Than This cd.   The West End, Clumsy Ol' World, all of the tracks on the new cd, are beautiful songs. Once he began, I did not want the show to end.   The venue was good, the crowd, not so much.  Some people kept shouting out during the performance of the high quality softer poetic songs. It was just disrespectful as those songs were being performed with the seriousness they deserved.  John never missed a beat and continued on with a stellar performance.  I think those people needed to hear him rock the house with Scarecrow, etc, which he did.
karenkat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 08:35:09 pm »

I was at the Fort Wayne show and agree with John's comments as did the cheering crowd. Anyone who thought his comments were about lack of support for veterans is looking for an issue.
vikki631

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:45 am »

I watched his concert special at the Walter Reed hospital and he said he supports the troops. He doesn't support the war.
richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 04:52:38 am »

The greatest honor that any American can pay to any veteran is to exercise the liberties guaranteed by the Constitution.

Wage Peace.

RichM752rnEverything is cool as can be in a peaceful world.rnrnrnrnrn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: