John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 02:27:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is playing what?  (Read 9513 times)
drewandjo
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:58 am »

Went on a small road trip this past weekend down here in New Zealand (my car has a cd player) and decided to air some of my Mellencamp cds. Got through John Cougar (3 out 5), John Mellencamp (4 out of 5, just love Your Life is Now), No Better Than This (1 out of 5) before getting stuck on Cuttin' Heads. Man I'd forgotten how good that cd was. The title song is just as powerful now as it was then, Peaceful World was now a joy to listen to without thinking about trucks, love Just Like You, Worn Out Nervous Condition and ends with a great In Our Lives. A definite 5 out of 5. Heading away again this weekend so will report next week on the next crop. Anyone else done a rewind lately and listened to a few JM tracks?
Aeroplane2
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:54:58 pm »

I have to admit, each CD i play, i have my favorite few songs; but i rewind my CD's weekly of just JM, like Mellencamp "Words and Music" and there are too many songs on there to name one, since this is a greatest hits CD set; but "Wanna Say Thank You" is just an awesome track of when John started to take a turn away from all the past music and move on to other forms he enjoyed.  Love "Mr. Happy Go Lucky" with "Key West Intermezzo" and "Just Another Day".  his self titled album in 98, "Mellencamp" , I played a groove into "I'm Not Running Anymore", "Eden is Burning", "Fruit Trader", "Miss Missy" he's just got TOO many great songs to name just a few".

Thanks for the post, i love to think about the favorites and that can change as i rewind through the CD's too!
Cheesy
drewandjo
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:17:52 am »

Hey Aeroplane2 - looks like its just you and me remembering those great Mellencamp albums. Went on another roadie last weekend and Scarecrow (a big 5 out of 5) got an airing. From the opening Rain on the Scarecrow, the time less Small Town (that's me and probably a hundred others!!) through my (and I am sure many others) personal favourite Mellencamp song Minutes to Memories, the haunting Justice & Independence, my second favourite on this album Between a Laugh and a Tear and ROCKing at the end. A timeless classic which resonates even today with some of the song subject matters - the ongoing struggles of small town farmers, the destruction of small towns not only across America but even in my country and the destruction of values among our leaders.

The Lonesome Jubilee, another favourite, gets a slot this coming weekend.
Aeroplane2
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:06:46 pm »

Oh my gosh, you saw the band and John play "Between a laaugh and a Tear"?  I have always wanted to hear them play that song!  I remember John saying he is not a juke box; so just happy he's not retiring anytime soon!  Are you going to go to Farm Aid in Wisconsin too?

Cheesy
drewandjo
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:34 am »

wish I could go to Farm Aid but live in New Zealand so.....too far to travel this year.....but am planning a visit to the USA & Canada next year around this time to visit my son so may be able to take it in then
KCRottenkowski
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:41:32 am »

My song of the day holds the quote probably not quite word for word "there is room enough for science to live and room enough for religion to forgive". 
drewandjo
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:58:09 am »

Big Daddy was on rotation last weekend....probably a 3 out of 5. A lot of album fillers on this album I think but also a couple of classics - Jackie Brown and Pop Singer. You can hear the contempt in John's voice as he belts out Pop Singer. Always had a soft spot for Theo and Weird Henry - "Theo and weird Henry went chasing after something And neither one of them believing in nothing"......the bonus track of Let it all Hang Out is a great finisher plus of course John taking aim at Reagan in Country Gentleman …...the last album released under the name John Cougar Mellencamp….
drewandjo
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 02:59:26 am »

KC - a classic when not trying to sell trucks - Our Country
Aeroplane2
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 03:48:54 pm »

When speaking to the masses, his best to me is still "Rain on the Scarecrow" and i figure John must think the same because that song has stayed in the band's repertoire of songs played in all the Farmaid as well as recent shows! 

"Rain on the scarecrow
Blood on the plow
This land fed a nation
This land made me proud
And son I'm just sorry there's no legacy for you now
Rain on the scarecrow
.."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: