John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 09:40:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Premiering New Song & Video On Yahoo's "The Katie Couric Interview" 1/19  (Read 7903 times)
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:20:30 pm »

"Easy Target" is a brand new song written by John to be performed live at 5pm ET on Thursday, January 19th one day before the 2017 Presidential Inauguration on Yahoo's The Katie Couric Interview. "Easy Target" is John’s reflection on the state of our country. An outspoken artist, Mellencamp continues his journey to convey the truth through this passionate and plain-spoken song. Download "Easy Target" on iTunes and Spotify beginning at 6pm ET 1/19. Check out the thought provoking lyrics below.

Easy Target

Here's an easy target
With just one quiet pop
Shot to hell anyway
No reason to stop
In the streets and the gutters
The cotton fields in this land
Here's an easy target
With a trigger, in your hand

So, Black lives matter
Who we trying to kid
Here's an easy target
Don't matter, never did
Crosses burning
Such a long time ago
400 years and we still don't, let it go

well let the poor be damned
And the easy targets too
All are created equal
Equally beneath me and you
Children crying
Under the time-keeping sun
The war on the easy targets
We won't ever, get this done

Easy targets
All along the avenue
Living here in Sucker Town,
Baby me and you
Behind the bars
To keep each other apart
Easy targets
Our Country's broken heart
Our Country's broken heart
williehagfan1
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:16:14 pm »

Hello! I just finished listening and watching John sing his new song, "Easy Target". Wow, what a song! Man, leave it up to John to tell it like it is in this country of ours! Absolutely fantastic. I sure hope that John includes this on the new album. I hope that John takes this as a compliment. If I hadn't of been watching him and had my head turned I"d have sworn that I was listening to Tom Waits singing that song. The voice wasn't quite as rough as Tom's, but the style was sure there. Congratulations, John! You've got a winner there. But, I had no doubts before I heard it. Just reading the lyrics the other day told me it was going to be great. Thanks, John!
williehagfan1
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:06 pm »

Hello Again! I just watched John's tremendous interview with Katie Couric. What John had to say didn't surprise me. Man, what a straight shooter. John tells it the way it is, and truly is the spokesman for the common man and woman. He puts himself on the line with his views, and doesn't care what the bigwigs think. That's my guy! Thank you, John, for expressing what so many of we middle class citizens feel. No one listens to us, so you are our voice, and i thank you for that.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 05:53:55 am »

I think that´s a great new song. fantastic violine and melody though or because so sad. what else to sing on a day like this. thanks to John for this new music!
edhead
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:07 am »

Love the interview, and love him speaking his mind as he always does.  Funny watching him be just a tad more careful about what he says these days. I applaud the song, the timing, and of course the "plain spoken" sentiment and lyrics which ring so true.  Musically the song sounds very similiar to the arrangement of "The Full Catastrophe" that he performed the past tour (and I LOVED that version).

On a side note I listen to Cuttin' Heads (the song) and Peaceful World and the sentiments in those songs ring even more true (imho) today than when they were written.  Or the video for Cherry Bomb, an unpopular (in some circles) commentary on racism 30 years ago. He's been fighting the issue before it was cool to be fighting it.....

Keep up the good work John!!!  And hoping the words I saw somewhere in an article abou the end of the Plain Sooken tour that said "See you next summer" also ring true! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: