John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 08:41:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John on Howard Stern  (Read 13083 times)
cge333
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:22:07 am »

Just found out that John was on Stern this morning.  I haven't listened to it but was able to find a recap of it at this link:

http://marksfriggin.com/news.htm#wed

I'll try and listen to the interview later when I am in the car.
cge333
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:08:54 pm »

I listened to it and it's a pretty interesting discussion.  Here is a link to the audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za6_AHj9hAU
dusty947
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:54:36 am »

I loved it.  John has no anxiety issues with Howard.  They had a great conversation except when Howard talked to John when John wasn't listening.  Too funny.
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »

By far that was the best of the interviews. John is obviously comfortable talking with Stern and the seem to like and respect each other.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »

John is so down to earth in his interviews.  It's always a treat to hear how it all started.

Mike
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:22 pm »

This was a great interview, Howard Stern does a fantastic job getting John to really open up.

I do have a question, at the 37 min mark John talks about how they were making an album a few years back in a make shift studio in Florida and how it sounded awful and therefore they ended up recording a whole new album. I was wondering if Tony or anyone knows what time period this was and which album was the final product from that unsuccessful attempt. I found it very interesting and it would be cool to someday hear those recordings, (wishful thinking but who knows).

Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:40:20 am »

With John's lifetime recording contract, we might very well be treated to some unreleased music that otherwise would never have seen the light of day.  I'm hopeful anyway.

Mike
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 10:00:07 pm »

Found this answer to my question with a little online research. My question stems from when John and Andy were talking to Howard Stern about an album that they recorded that John disliked and therefore scraped. Turns out that recording preceded Cuttin Heads, here is a link to an article from 2001 http://www.mtv.com/news/1450003/john-mellencamp-takes-a-hard-look-at-race-issues-on-cuttin-heads/. Story goes John and the band tried to record an album with a change in scenery (somewhere other than Belmont), and they converted a hurricane shelter into a studio. John said the music came out "smelling like Jimmy Buffet" and therefore scraped the project.

Somewhere out there is a Mellencamp 'beachy' sounding album, lol! While I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that good I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't all that bad either. We all know how hard John is on himself. I challenge Republic Records and John to release this, I love the Dylan Bootleg Series, time for a Mellencamp Bootleg Series.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:13:47 am »

A John Mellencamp bootleg series?  It's an interesting idea.  I'm sure Republic Records will likely want to pair it with some other rare "in the vault" stuff.  Is john interested in doing this or Republic Records for that matter?  It's doubtful.  I would like to hear it though.

Mike   
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:58:22 pm »

i listened to this interview. loved the way john answered sterns questions on his marriages and relationships. specially bout elaine. i really dont believe that elaine hated john at the end, but hated what he did to their marriage and family with meg.  he said that he thought that they would of lasted forever, well, with jm's past track record and he cant handle marriages or girlfreinds, she never stood a chance. i really believe that elaine meant her wedding vows, but of course, just like jm's style, he never gave her the chance or himself. sad..................................................................................
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: