John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 06:57:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minutes To Memories....  (Read 10752 times)
SeaHound95
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »

Minutes To Memories is the one song that made an impact on my life. Scarecrow was released when I was 15 and listening to that song moved me later on. My father is the best man I've known. And if I can be half the man he is when it is all said and done, I'd be a huge success in life. He made sure I always had everything I've needed and received everything I've ever earned (the good and the bad. LOL). When you're 15 you might not be as aware of how important your father is as you should be. Listening to the lyrics of MTM; and in particular the last verse, made me aware.
I am 40, single and have no children. However, there is a boy that lived upstairs from me the past 14 years (he is 14). He never met his father, and his birth mother was never involved in his life and she passed away last year. The boy was raised by his grandmother, and generally had a tough go of it in his life so far. I've been active with him his whole life. Whether it's going to a baseball game, a movie, watching him in little league, pointing him in the right direction when he needs it, or just spending time with him, I just try to be there whenever he might need me to be. I really do not know if I would have been as involved with him as much if I did not appreciate my father so much. But the fact is MTM let me appreciate my dad. I am not certain to what extent I have helped or changed this boy's life, but one thing is certain he has changed my life. If I could say one thing to John it would be Thank You for writing that song.
mellenheadinohio
Global Moderator
One of the Crazy Ones...

~~ Paula

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:40:27 pm »

thank you for sharing your story.

i'm sure you have more of an impact that you will ever realize on the young man's life.  it's hard for a boy to not have a strong, positive role model (take it from a single mom with a teenage son). 

be proud of yourself and of the man he becomes because of you!
colojo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:54:25 am »

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind." I first heard those words in Minutes to Memories, at the age of 21 in 1985. They are the words I live by. Thank you, John.
kyralexis72
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:35:52 am »

Minutes To Memories is the one song that made an impact on my life. Scarecrow was released when I was 15 and listening to that song moved me later on. My father is the best man I've known. And if I can be half the man he is when it is all said and done, I'd be a huge success in life. He made sure I always had everything I've needed and received everything I've ever earned (the good and the bad. LOL). When you're 15 you might not be as aware of how important your father is as you should be. Listening to the lyrics of MTM; and in particular the last verse, made me aware.
I am 40, single and have no children. However, there is a boy that lived upstairs from me the past 14 years (he is 14). He never met his father, and his birth mother was never involved in his life and she passed away last year. The boy was raised by his grandmother, and generally had a tough go of it in his life so far. I've been active with him his whole life. Whether it's going to a baseball game, a movie, watching him in little league, pointing him in the right direction when he needs it, or just spending time with him, I just try to be there whenever he might need me to be. I really do not know if I would have been as involved with him as much if I did not appreciate my father so much. But the fact is MTM let me appreciate my dad. I am not certain to what extent I have helped or changed this boy's life, but one thing is certain he has changed my life. If I could say one thing to John it would be Thank You for writing that song.

SeaHound95, I enjoyed reading your story - thanks for sharing it.  I'm with Paula, a young boy can never have too many positive male role models in his life, and it sounds like you are definitely a good one for this young man!
Kyra

Try to keep your mind open
And accept your mistakes
Save some time for living
And always question your faith

Could it be that this is all there is?
Could it be there's nothing more at all?
Save some time to dream
'Cause your dream could save us all - JM
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:24 am »

Thanks SeaHound, what a lovely story.  If only more people were willing to take an interest in the well being of others and to care.  Must say I echo you, this is one of my favourite songs.  Love the images of that bus ride and having driven across a lot of the Deep Southern U.S. I have many of my own to fill in.

The other fav. I have is Your Life is Now. Love the message in this one, live for today and with respect for others and believe you can make a difference.
drram05

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:14:30 pm »

My dad died before my boys were born. When they ask about him I play them " Minutes To Memories". John captured the essence of my dad in that song. The hardest working, most honest man I have ever known.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: