John Mellencamp Community
April 18, 2024, 02:23:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Brothers of Darkland County  (Read 10026 times)
TCEckels
Official Mellencamp Curmudgeon
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:48:29 am »

Hey there, I've been gone for about 4 1/2 years due to a heavy dose of real life, but starting to come back now.

I looked for somewhere more specific to post on this topic, but I don't see anything so I'll put it here. If there's a better place for it, feel free to move it....just let me know<g>

I haven't seen John live since 2006. I'd been reading about Ghost Brothers, but figured I'd never get to see it due to things, but out of the blue about a week ago another Mellenhead by the name of Mary posted on the mailing list that she had an extra ticket to the show at Devos in Grand Rapids. I looked in the cookie jar and the wife said go for it if you want to so I emailed her back and after a bit of a wait she let me know the ticket was mine.

This was going to be my first concert in quite awhile and I was excited about going and then got even more so when I found out that the tickets she had were for row AA, which is front row and center. You couldn't have gotten a better seat for a thousand bucks.

Anyhow, we met at the venue and exchanged cash for ticket and then spent some time chatting before the show. I had not heard the CD before the show, deciding to go cold turkey and just see how it was live.

Well, the show started just a bit after 7:30 and by the time intermisson arrived I was completely amazed by the whole affair. By the time it was over 3 hours later I was just freakin' amazed on how very cool it was. It was simply fantastic. EVERYone on the stage did an awesome job playing their character. It was impossible not to get fully immersed in the performance. The music was out of this world and the songs were sung with so much emotion that it was almost too much at times. The cat that played the devil / shape was just amazing. Several times when he was in the lights I got chills watching him be his character. Bruce Greenwood did a great job as the dad. I had no idea he could sing that well and towards the end when he was singing it was hard not to tear up.

It seemed everyone on that stage that night was fully involved in what they were doing and it came out to where we were sitting in spades. I really didn't want it to end and truth be told I'd go again tonight if it was an option, bills be damned. That was the most involved I've gotten into a show in a long, long time. John and Stephen both should be very proud of their work and the ensemble they put together for this tour.

Which brings me to my real point. I NEED A DVD OF THIS PERFORMANCE WITH THESE FOLKS. I don't have the CD yet and frankly I'm afraid to buy it now as it'll never live up to what I saw last night. My companion for the evening told me that there was a heckuva lot more going on, on stage then is on the CD, including more songs and a lot more story line.
Tony, John, Stephen, T-Bone or whoever.....I sure as hell hope someone recorded at least one night of this show as I simply can't imagine it ever getting any better than last night. Of couse I said the same thing about Scarecrow too, but that's a different deal.
WE NEED to have a DVD available of this performance PLEASE. I would love to sit here right now and immerse myself in the story all over again. There was simply too much going on to just see it once. I need to see it multiple times....please tell me there's DVD coming at some point in the future.

In closing, DVD please<g>  If you didn't go and see this show, boy did you miss something special. I am so glad I got to go...things are  starting to finally look up again, thank god.....

Tom

Wintertime is a Razor Blade, that the devil made. It's the price we pay for the summertime.   Joe Walsh - Collage 1969
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:34 am »

3:48:29 AM?Huh!!! 

I'll ditto everything you said. 

I wish there was more conversation regarding this ... or maybe I've missed it ... again ... I have trouble finding things on the community pages.

As I reminisced about Wednesday night all weekend one thought that came to me was that John is always trying something different.  Musical styles he's treated us to over the years, acting, painting, and now this.  Isn't that cool???  To me that's the sign of a true artist...delving into new territory...always 'pushing the rock up the hill'.

Whether he continues with more of this or stamps out a new 'album'  (Tom!) I'm ALWAYS going to look forward to what he has instore for us.

"-somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mary in Michigan
TCEckels
Official Mellencamp Curmudgeon
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »

3:48:29 AM?Huh!!! 

Yeah, I'm a bit of a nightowl.

Glad to know I'm not the only one here.......maybe they've all gone somewhere new and we missed the memo.

Tc

Wintertime is a Razor Blade, that the devil made. It's the price we pay for the summertime.   Joe Walsh - Collage 1969
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

Hi folks,

I'm here and reading and checking the messages every few days but I rarely post anymore as most of the regulars seem to have dropped out or gone to other types of social media which are faster and easier means of communication.  I however, have a dumb phone without even texting and a plugged into the wall old time slow computer in the basement which is not exactly the way I want to spend a lot of my time as I get older.

I enjoyed reading your reviews, and yes, I did attend the play in Akron last month and loved it.  I wish I had been able to attend another but that one was the closest to home.  If it makes another round anywhere closer, I will be sure to attend. 

We had front row balcony seats which I thought might be better than up front for a play. I have not yet bought the CD or book package as I wanted to see the play and be surprised.  I did listen, just once to the individual songs as they were posted on here for us to listen.  I did not want to become familiar with them.  I wasn't sure about a couple of the songs at that point, I can' even remember which ones they were, probably those of the characters that served to introduce themselves to the audience. However, in a stage setting, they made more sense and helped me to relate to those characters.  I do remember that I liked That's Me  and Truth right away.
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:55 am »

Continuing here as I seem to be limited in the size of the message I can type. I plan to buy the deluxe package or request it as a Christmas gift. 

As far as the play goes, I think the story was very good, but a little slow in the very beginning as the characters were being introduced.  I read a lot of S. King and I know most of his books take 100-200 pages just to meet the characters! But it quickly grabbed our attention from there and held it for the rest of the play. The actors were very good and had fabulous voices and the band was perfect.  I even got a kick out of the music in the beginning before the play began as I heard some of the hymn that Miriam and Troy play during recent concerts.  The set was interesting with the performers being onstage the whole time and the center microphone, but I have to wonder how the original staging differed in Atlanta last year.  I wish I had been able to attend one of those shows. The songs were very good, in fact I wonder if there were a few that did not appear on the CD as it seemed like a lot more songs were in the play that I saw.  Again, I liked some of them much more as I saw them in the context of the play and some like Away From This World, (I think it was), Tear This Cabin Down and the Truth were instant hits. I can't help but wish that I could hear them in various stages of development as I am sure they have chauged much as the play was written. 
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:53 am »

Lastly, I agree that both JM and SK should be very proud of this work that was a long time in the making and I wish them much luck with it in the future as it evolves. 

As far as the lack of involvement on this site and HW, I just feel that this one was never as user friendly as previous ones.  It seemed much harder to find subjects and recent posts.  Then we have had the problem of a few contributors who attack everyone who posts, so that drives many away.  I really appreciate Tony, Mike and Sharon who keep this updated with reviews and news and occasionally pictures.  It's not as active as the old days, but neither are a lot of us, lol!

Dar
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: