John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 02:25:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for the moderator  (Read 6506 times)
Alex1974
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:55 am »

I was watching a UK news program yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by a news story about "urban climber" Alain Robert, the so-called "French Spiderman" famous for scaling the Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera House, the Golden Gate Bridge and numerous other landmarks around the world.  In this story, he was wearing a black leather jacket with "Mellencamp" emblazoned across the back and down his left sleeve.  I then googled him and found this Blog, with photos of him wearing a similar (red) leather jacket with "Mellencamp" emblazoned across the back:

http://www.danhimbrechts.com/blog/2009/06/french-climber-alain-robert-appears-in.html

Given that one does not hear Mellencamp's music much on UK television or radio these days, or come across references to him in popular media here all that often, I found this story rather tantalizing.  Robert is something of a celebrity in France and, I am guessing, a John Mellencamp fan.  His jacket is great and I am curious about its history.

Does anyone know anything about Robert's interest in "Mellencamp" and/or the history of his jacket?

Alex
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:06 am »

I was watching a UK news program yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by a news story about "urban climber" Alain Robert, the so-called "French Spiderman" famous for scaling the Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Opera House, the Golden Gate Bridge and numerous other landmarks around the world.  In this story, he was wearing a black leather jacket with "Mellencamp" emblazoned across the back and down his left sleeve.  I then googled him and found this Blog, with photos of him wearing a similar (red) leather jacket with "Mellencamp" emblazoned across the back:

http://www.danhimbrechts.com/blog/2009/06/french-climber-alain-robert-appears-in.html

Given that one does not hear Mellencamp's music much on UK television or radio these days, or come across references to him in popular media here all that often, I found this story rather tantalizing.  Robert is something of a celebrity in France and, I am guessing, a John Mellencamp fan.  His jacket is great and I am curious about its history.

Does anyone know anything about Robert's interest in "Mellencamp" and/or the history of his jacket?

Alex

My understanding is that there is a handbag company in New Zealand that is named Mellencamp. It's very possible they made this jacket, it's not something made by John. The jacket was new to us and John's team.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Alex1974
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:18:15 am »

Thanks for this, Tony.  Just looked up "Mellencamp Carrywear" in New Zealand ... they look more like a retail outlet for bags and fashionware rather than a 'label' as such.  They don't have their own website, in any event. 

I thought the Alain Robert "Mellencamp" jacket looked custom-made for hom (it certainly did not look like any of the Mellencamp jackets I have ever seen through this website or on ebay) but it was still a rather odd image, given the unusualness of the name and the fact he did not have his own name emblazoned on the jacket. 

Still, I would like to think this counts as a pseudo-"Mellenmoment" ... :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: