John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 11:20:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new album  (Read 20163 times)
nicko1
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:41 am »

I do not read all of the newsletters, so I may be asking an already answered question; is there a new album on the horizon?
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:33:08 am »

I do not read all of the newsletters, so I may be asking an already answered question; is there a new album on the horizon?

The next release should be the music/album for Ghost Brothers of Darkland County. It's not a John album per see since it's not him playing/singing the songs, but he wrote them all. The release date is very much up in the air as it depends on any changes made to the show during the preview/run in Atlanta.

John mentioned in a recent USA Today interview that he may release a covers record using things recorded over the years, but that is not a sure thing.

He also mentioned that he may record a rock record, but again that seems off in the distance since parts of his band is in the Ghost Brothers band and then they are touring Canada. That would prevent recording an album until much later this year, again in a best case scenario.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
dolly23
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:31 am »

Would be nice to have a new "Rock" record, although love the
direction he has gone in, in the past few years.   Hoping he comes back to NYC!   
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

Would be nice to have a new "Rock" record,

Totally agree.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:11:41 pm »

Totally agree.
[/quote]

So do I. but before a full live album of this great tour would fit in. this long tour deserves to be immortalized somehow.
and then a rockīnīroll album in the style of "Rodeo Clown". Andy York on guitar for the stones sound, and John still can shout. he should shout it out again that he "just donīt care".
but itīs nothing we can plan...heīll do the right thing anyway!
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »

but before a full live album of this great tour would fit in

Hmmm, we'll see Wink
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »

If you have one of the many high-quality bootlegs of this tour floating around, you'll see there's no need for an official release.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:13:30 pm »

I wished I had one of those high-quality bootlegs. Lol  Wink
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »

Another great rock 'n' roll album is still in the cards.  I think an official live album is a must.  What band musician hasn't released a full length live album?  The bootlegs often don't have the sound quality of a professional recording and the artist doesn't make any money on a bootleg.  Even if john wasn't interested in the money aspect of releasing a live album, the money earned could go to Farm Aid or another worthwhile charity.

It's just a thought.

Mike           
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »

It's 2012, even if John released a live album, it wouldn't sell more than a few thousand copies. His days of big record sales are over, as they are for all veteran artists. The bootlegs have great quality, even if they aren't quite as good as a professional release, there are still quite enjoyable. Many bootlegs from this tour and past tours have been posted on this very site. They are easy to find. The thought of a live album, IMHO, puts me to sleep, unless it was a complete high-quality soundboard recording of a show from the Scarecrow or Lonesome Jubilee tours.

The thought of a new studio album is what is really exciting, and I've long been an advocate for a deluxe reissue of one of his classic albums. For example, if they were going to reissue Scarecrow in 2015 for the 30-year anniversary of its release, they could include in a deluxe box set:

- The Scarecrow album remastered
- A disc of songs recorded during the Scarecrow sessions that didn't make the album
- A complete show from the Scarecrow Tour
- A DVD on the making of the album, complete with interviews with John and the band

They could do the same thing for the 30-year anniversary of The Lonesome Jubilee in 2017. This is incredibly unlikely because of John's dislike of looking into the past, but it would be a treasure trove for fans.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:47:30 pm by walktall2010 » Logged
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »

He should do that, many of them are. It would be a great treasure. Don't get me wrong I loved my box set, but having an anniversary of each album would be cool, they can add even more like photos and music that never made it into the album/cd or even DVD of concert footage of that year. Possibilities are endless.  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:53:29 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: