John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 06:31:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John: "I am more thrilled about this than anything I've done in my whole life"  (Read 8235 times)
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:48:10 pm »

Stephen King musical to debut in April

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

Mellencamp often talks about his music in an aw-shucks, self-deprecating manner, but he's not hiding his pride when it comes to Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, the Southern gothic musical he and author Stephen King have been tinkering with for 12 years.

More:  Mellencamp co-headlines Woody Guthrie tribute concert

"I think it's going to be one of the best original American musicals in quite some time," says the singer/songwriter, likening the work in tone to Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey Into Night. "I am more thrilled about this than anything I've done in my whole life. I'm pretty pumped up!"

Ghost Brothers, on stage from April 4 to May 13 at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, presents a mysterious family drama that springs from a 1967 tragedy in Mississippi, with the bluesy roots music and lyrics by Mellencamp, book by King and music direction by T Bone Burnett. Susan V. Booth is the director.

"The first time Steve and I worked on it in New York, it was terrible and we wanted to kill ourselves," Mellencamp says. "Then we got involved with Susan Booth, who found the real meaning of the words. She is unbelievable and I love her to death. Everyone is down there working seven days a week. I'm just excited that it's so good."

No release date is firm yet for a three-disc soundtrack album.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/03/john-mellencamp-stephen-king-musical-to-debut-in-april/1?csp=34life&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-LifeTopStories+%28Life+-+Top+Stories%29

Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:56:31 am »

i feel sorry for john on this one already.  its going to be one big disappointment.
lkunze
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:13:54 am »

I think this has potential to be amazing...
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »

I think this has potential to be amazing...
No doubt it will be brilliant. The "poster" is just trying to get attention.
I think there was a preview event in ATlanta of the music last night.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:58 pm »

Based on everything I've read about this, it should be really good.  I'm looking forward to it.

Mike 
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:55:40 pm »

Anybody here attending the show? Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: