John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 10:23:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 14729 times)
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:28:39 am »

I was away for the past two weeks when this new board rolled out.  I've been trying to figure out my way around and I think I'm getting caught up, but I just have a question or two. 

Is there an easy way of telling what posts are new so that I don't have to wade through every thread?  I've seen the blue "new" in some, but is there a way of telling that before I go into each thread?  Also, is there an index button like we had on the old board, or do I have to back arrow to get out of every thread.  That will be a problem with multiple pages. 

Thanks for any info.
mellenheadinohio
Global Moderator
One of the Crazy Ones...

~~ Paula

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:25 pm »

I was away for the past two weeks when this new board rolled out.  I've been trying to figure out my way around and I think I'm getting caught up, but I just have a question or two. 

Is there an easy way of telling what posts are new so that I don't have to wade through every thread?  I've seen the blue "new" in some, but is there a way of telling that before I go into each thread?  Also, is there an index button like we had on the old board, or do I have to back arrow to get out of every thread.  That will be a problem with multiple pages. 

Thanks for any info.

i'll try to help Dar, although Tony may have a better explanation.

after you've logged in and went to "Community", in the top left corner underneath your "welcome darlene", is a link that says "Show unread posts since last visit".  that would probably be the easiest way to see anything new.

or if you log in and go straight to "Community", where the list of topics are, any new posts will have a shaded icon in the first column on the left.  once you open that, you will see the blue "new" under the respective thread. if you click on the blue "new", it will take you to the first new post since you last logged in.

as for 'backing out', the only way i've found to do that is either by hitting the back arrow (which i rarely do), or by going right above the list of topics, it will say "John Mellencamp Community", followed by the name of the board you are in (i.e. Announcements), following by the topic (i.e. Tech Support).  you can click on any of those 3 links to go back to that respective section.

hope that helped
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:47:55 pm »

Thanks, Paula.  I figured out the shading and the blue news pretty much, and I think I got the same impression as you on those. 

However, I think there needs to be a better way of backing out and getting to the new posts. In the old board, if I went to a thread, the first post I saw was the first unread one of each topic, then I'd just hit index, I think it was, to go back to the previous choices.  A lot faster.  I just think this will become a major issue with long lasting topics, like when we had 800 beautiful man pages.  (That might not be that much of a problem, lol)
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:04 pm »

Thanks, Paula.  I figured out the shading and the blue news pretty much, and I think I got the same impression as you on those. 

However, I think there needs to be a better way of backing out and getting to the new posts. In the old board, if I went to a thread, the first post I saw was the first unread one of each topic, then I'd just hit index, I think it was, to go back to the previous choices.  A lot faster.  I just think this will become a major issue with long lasting topics, like when we had 800 beautiful man pages.  (That might not be that much of a problem, lol)

Just below the message board navigation (HOME HELP SEARCH) is a path for where you are:

John Mellencamp Community > MELLENCAMP.COM ANNOUNCEMENTS > Tech Support > Post reply ( Re: Question )

If you click on them you can quickly get back to the main page or the sub board or thread you are on.

Also I take advantage of a few links:
1. The Show Unread Topics link - This is right below your user name after you have logged in and arrived in the community:

http://www.mellencamp.com/forum/index.php?action=unread

2. After I am sure I have read everything I intend to read on the board's main page at the bottom right is a link that says Mark All As read, this makes all of the unread blue icon's go away until there are new posts.
http://www.mellencamp.com/forum/index.php?action=markasread

3. Recent Posts: I read most of the board this way, it doesn't work that great because it shows the very newest posts first, typically I click back a page or two and then read forward:
http://www.mellencamp.com/forum/index.php?action=recent;start=0

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »

Thanks, Tony.  I seem to be liking the show unread posts method.  I just remember the lights on the old board not always working and occasionally missing new posts. 

That step about mark all as read is a good idea too.  I'll do that after I finally get through all the reviews!

TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:16:48 am »

Thanks, Tony.  I seem to be liking the show unread posts method.  I just remember the lights on the old board not always working and occasionally missing new posts. 

That step about mark all as read is a good idea too.  I'll do that after I finally get through all the reviews!

So far I haven't found any technical issues with post notification icons/lights so to speak. The good news is this board is far more up to date technologically than our old one which essentially was setup and then unchanged for 5 years.

I'll be honest, I have been so busy with the album and tour roll out I really haven't completely dug into all of the features of this new board.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: