John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 03:26:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rome  (Read 36583 times)
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 10:14:26 am »

I've seen no billboards in the city, heard no radio advertising, the press simply ignored the concert.

BIG problem.
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:23 am »

I've seen no billboards in the city, heard no radio advertising, the press simply ignored the concert.

BIG problem.
Yes indeed.
It's about 30 years that I go to rock live shows and the biggest problem, here in Italy, is the local promotion. Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd etc.... every artist I quoted and more had the same problem with the local promotion.

Maybe I'm too severe but, in my opinion, it's a matter of fact. Rock music TV networks neither have reported the news about John's coming to Italy.
So just the first hour fans attended the italian shows.

After that, if you add the fact that your preferred artist ain't a "pop singer" (and doesn't write pop songs), that he never came to Italy, it's quietly understandable that Italian concert halls' seats remain empty. Wink

Alex
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »

I have to add my opinion on this for all of you fans that were so excited to finally see JM in Italy.  It is very sad the concert was not promoted well and I can't imagine watching the film without understanding it.  There should of definitely been some translation to Italian.  If I waited that long to see a show in my home town or country and he played a much shorter show than the rest of the shows, I would not be happy.  I also understand that he probably wasn't too happy with the promotion of the show, the audience reaction to the film, and maybe some other things. 

I love JM and nothing will ever change that.  He can sing whatever he wants as long as he keeps singing.  I just don't ever want those shows to end when I get an opportunity to actually see him perform live.     

There is a time to cry and a time to get with it.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:03:29 pm »

Good Luck to John in Zurich!
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:02 am »

I love JM and nothing will ever change that.  He can sing whatever he wants as long as he keeps singing.  I just don't ever want those shows to end when I get an opportunity to actually see him perform live.     

I totally agree with you. I was one of the Roman fans and came to the show at 3 pm.
I saw the soundcheck and had a chance to meet the tour manager and the great Mike Wanchic who showed me one of his Gretsch guitars. I saw John performing when there was only his tour staff.
Though I was a little bit disappointed by the lenght of the show, what elese could I have deserve?
The location gave me the chance to see John at less than half a meter from him that I almost could have touch him.
After all, I'm a happy guy. Wink

Alex
LittleStevenMilano
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 10:32:52 am »

First of all who says that maybe there was a "curfew" problem is absolutely right but the curfew time is set at midnight and he finished well before that time.

100% with your message on overall, but in Vigevano the midnight deadline was almost there and, also due to proximity with a beautiful tourist spot as Vigevano Square I think that the delayed start hasn't helped to facilitate a (potential) extension of the 18-20 songs

For this reason (and for the language issue etc) I would have preferred a shorter abstract from the movie with a brief intorduction/explanation from an Italian speaker/promoter/friend or whatever. I enjoyed both shows and film but felt somehow "strange" due to John attitude and (part of the) audience response.

Great american music, by the way and nice record the last one

Greetings from Italy!
messico
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »

L'ho visto a Losanna nel 1988 (grandissimo), a Parigi (nel 1991? non ricordo bene) grande, a Vigevano, mah! Buon concerto ma frettoloso (aveva ordinato le pizze che sono arrivate esattamente due minuti dopo la fine...), quel film bello da vedere in TV, ma prima del concerto...
Qualcuno sa dirmi di Udine? Data cancellata, perchè? Delusissimo.. mi crolla un mito...
Ciao.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: