John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 01:53:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 26 june in the Hague - the Netherlands  (Read 25673 times)
melatti
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:46 am »

I'm so happy, after 19 year he's finally coming to Holland. Te last time I saw him twice in the Hague, 2 concerts I never forget. In my closet I've got still a "Big Daddy"concert. I've got even pictures from those concerts from John with his long hair. In that time I felt in love with him, I was 25, now I'm 44 year and still in love...

On the end even the band was playing Dylan's like a rollin'stone, I remember the fantastic band witn Toby Myers, Kenny Arnokoff, Mike Wanchick, Lisa Germano on the violin, 2 fabilous background singers, what a show they've made!

Are there some people still remember those concerts way back then, in the Hague?
I hope to see you all then on 26 juni!
Octon70

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:38 am »

Hi. I remember them very well. Staid Mellencamp through the years. I was even planning to see him in the USA, because I wanted to see him again! Luckely, I can see him tomorow in Den Hague. I am on row 6! See ya. LEX
Willem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:23:07 am »

Well, I guess we can shake hands.
I was there in the Haque 19 years ago both days too.
Great shows and my impression was that John and the band realy enjoyed themselves too.

I was surprised it took so long before they returned to europe.
Me too was thinking about going to see a show in the states if they had'nt come this year.

Looking forward to tomorrow!!!
(First row!!)

Groet, Willem
melatti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:53:33 am »

And Willem and Lex,

What do you think of the concert after D-day?
Personally, the film was too long (better waste the time for live music). I even thougt I've seen his whole concert in this film:-)
I think his concert was surprisely! With a very steady band, very good professionals, they all seem to disapear in this big background painting on stage (made by John I presume).
I'm very satisfied about his setlist, he played some old song with a new sound and his getting better when aging, his sound became very hard, I like that ROCK!
It's a pity he didn't give a bonus at the end, but on the other hand, he was playing over 2 hours! I sat on row 11, also a pity I couldn't see his face and mimic (too far) and I like do dance on some songs, was not possible in that place.

I'm even enthousiastic about his last CD, back to the roots, where it all began. He's a proud American, critical and politic engaged. I like his concern about the States, the world and especially the people. Keep on goin' John!
I hope to see him more often in Europe.

By the way, I saw a post that someone offers his ticket in France (Paris) for 70 euro, it's a that special front ticket (some where in the firts ten rows)

Who knows the setlist from that day?

Melatti
Wilco64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:16:04 pm »

To all,

I was very impressed by yesterdays show at the World Forum in The Hague. John played an excellent set, with old favorites (but Jack and Diane in a completely new style, nice!) and recent songs. He even played a request (Cherry Bomb) for a fan he met on the streets who kept insisting that John should play old song (to which John replied that he wants to look forward, I know he also met a fan in Copenhagen who asked the same, but I like the story anyway). Like 19 years ago he again took a fan on stage during R.O.C. in the USA. But unlike 19 years this fan didn't know the words and so he took another fan (the father?) on stage and together they sung a verse. I remember from 19 years ago that the guy who was asked then to sing this song took over things completely leaving John in awe and laughing about it. Highlights for me were Small Town and Scarecrow, these songs are like treasures. I also like the new songs, I think John is on a creative peak the last few years. Let's just hope he stays there for a long time!

Wilco
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:22:04 pm by Wilco64 » Logged
Willem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »

Hi Melatti and all others,

Looking back on yesterday I just get more excited by the hour.

The film before the show was o.k I think. Not the best documentary I have ever seen but a nice way to warm up for the show. Maybe it took away some surprises.

I think John is realy into the sound and songs from his last album "No better than this" which I think is absolutely great.
The band plays fantastic. They can play embittered like in "the west end" but can rock too like in the last half hour.
If John just sings alone with his guitar he got the whole crowd quiet. Even now his voice was not at the very best I recon.

For me I wish he played the whole new album. I realy love the songs and sound. But I can understand people wanna hear the old stuff.

It was a touching moment when he took the boy on stage at "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A", and later with his father (?) too.

I was sitting in the first line. A wonderfull happening. When the show was almost over I in John's direction wanted to shake hands to thank him for the show. And he grabbed it!!! For me a once in a lifetime experience, I got my chance and it feels great. (looks like I am acting like a 16 year old girl who meets her big idol...) It was just a way to say "thank you for your music" for me.
I just hope we, here in europe, don't have to wait another 19 years before he returns. for some shows. D-day was a appetite for more!!

Willem
slowburn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »

He even played a request (Cherry Bomb) for a fan he met on the streets who kept insisting that John should play old song (to which John replied that he wants to look forward, I know he also met a fan in Copenhagen who asked the same, but I like the story anyway)

This just doesn't make sense to me. I mean I guess the same request could happen two shows in a row but a/ hasn't Cherry Bomb been played on the US tour? b/ what's different with Cherry Bomb than all the other old songs played without comments.

Just seemed like an odd intro to me in Copenhagen. Loved the show though.
melatti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:41 am »

Hi to all (guys),
I'm glad to read to see so positive response on the concert!
I'm a real fan through all his years, I've still got vinyl albums, Scarecrow, Uh-huh, John Cougar, American foor, and all the rest on CD. I think to buy No better than this on vinyl again just for the authentic sound.

I'm a gail and I'm jalous of Willem! I understand wat he felt, so close to him, lucky you!
JM  is still looking good for me, I remember the show 19 years ago, I've still got some great close-up pictures from that time, A litte bastard with big hair Wink I was then 23 years old and he was about 40 years old, and even then I was in love...
I must find this pictures at my attic, than I can put this pictures on this site somewhere.
I saw a lot of pictures taken and video's made, they probaly will showup.

I saw the setlist in Copenhagen en Berlin : http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/john-mellencamp-53d6bb81.html

I think for the Hague concert he playes "Crumblin'down" for extra?

well fans, nice way to talkin'to you and to share JM's legacy with you all!
Melatti

SurroundSister

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:50 am »

Re: Cherry Bomb request

It just happens that, in Berlin, JM also met some guy in the streetbefore the show who wanted to hear CB  Grin

When I heard him in Copenhagen, i kinda believed it...but its just a trick I guess making us feel lucky we actually get to hear that song.

Me and my friends actually wondered why he in Copenhagen did not mention at all the long time he had not played Europe, also it would have been pretty nice and personal although standard to ask if there were any Swedish fans in the audience. Nothing.

Still, great to see the band, voice ok, song selection fine, no encore less fine.
Wilco64

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:14:50 pm »

He even played a request (Cherry Bomb) for a fan he met on the streets who kept insisting that John should play old song (to which John replied that he wants to look forward, I know he also met a fan in Copenhagen who asked the same, but I like the story anyway)

This just doesn't make sense to me. I mean I guess the same request could happen two shows in a row but a/ hasn't Cherry Bomb been played on the US tour? b/ what's different with Cherry Bomb than all the other old songs played without comments.

Just seemed like an odd intro to me in Copenhagen. Loved the show though.

Artists like Springsteen, but also Mellencamp, are clever people who want to give their audiences a certain message during a show. John will probably mention each show in Europe that he has to play some old song as a request because he met a guy on the streets. And he plays the song (sometimes in a new setting), but at the same time tells us that he moved on, made new songs and wants to share these new songs with us, that's what I meant, but probably didn't say clearly enough because English isn't my mother tongue!

Wilco
Willem

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:23:31 pm »

Yes, he DID play crumblin'down in the Haque. So that was extra, don't think there were more.
For Berlin it is descriped for "cherry bomb" he only played the first verse. I'm sure in the Haque he did the whole song, lucky us!!
He also did 2 lines from "taxi dancer" and 1 song he started twice. Don't remember wich one..

Funny, Melatti, we are the same age I guess. I am from 1969.
Verhor70

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 04:31:05 pm »

He didn't actually play the whole song, just the first verse.

Never mind though it was a great concert, enjoyed every minute of it. Although I didn't care much for the film.
aherne

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 02:04:41 pm »

HELLO ALL.
im going to the concert on sat in london. doors open at 7pm but i dont want to watch the film and would rather spend that time in a bar...... so can you tell me at about what time mellencamp comes on stage! thanks!
DirkDB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:08 pm »

great show in The Hague!!!!! Next time i come to America!!
Wilco64

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

HELLO ALL.
im going to the concert on sat in london. doors open at 7pm but i dont want to watch the film and would rather spend that time in a bar...... so can you tell me at about what time mellencamp comes on stage! thanks!

Film at 7 pm, about an hour I think, short break (15 minutes) and without any warning in The Hague the lights went out and the intro music started. You just make sure you take your seat at 820 pm.

Wilco
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: