John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 05:33:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp Rocked L.A.  (Read 14096 times)
eyesontheprize
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:49:30 pm »

Write up from the O.C. Register, Ben Harper in the house T-Bone onstage.

Very passionate delivery of The West End.  Funny remarks about he and a "girl" walking down the street yesterday, and an add lib change up during Small Town-it's funny so I won't post it, but it's related to "now she's small town just like me" line. Wink

http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2011/04/09/john-mellencamp-reworks-favorites-at-nokia/47777/

Setlist: John Mellencamp, Nokia Theatre, Los Angeles, April 8, 2011
Authority Song / No One Cares About Me / Death Letter / John Cockers / Walk Tall / The West End / Check It Out / Save Some Time To Dream / Cherry Bomb / Don’t Need This Body / Right Behind Me / Jackie Brown / Longest Days / Jack & Diane / Small Town / Rain on the Scarecrow / Paper in Fire / The Real Life / What If I Came Knocking / If I Die Sudden / No Better Than This / Pink Houses / R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:55:44 pm by eyesontheprize » Logged
Rhonda2
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:20:08 pm »

Were you there yesterday? I noticed some of what you mentioned is missing from the article you linked to, so just wondering.
eyesontheprize
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:11:10 pm »

Were you there yesterday? I noticed some of what you mentioned is missing from the article you linked to, so just wondering.

Yes-very good review by the writer.  The crowd did get a bit restless from the length of the film and then a 25 minute break.  I would have handled that transition much differently if I was producing the show.  Took a lot of drama out of the film setup and utilization-I would go straight to the CASH tune then, band comes out then Mellencamp. 
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:28:55 am »

and an add lib change up during Small Town-it's funny so I won't post it,.

Mellencamp humorously ad-libbed a lyric about his multiple marriages during “Small Town

oh Darn!  :Dwhat did he say???

Funny remarks about he and a "girl" walking down the street yesterday,

Wondering what "girl" he is referring too?

Thanks for the lnk. Some of the comment reviews were a bit harsh sadly.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:06:57 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
mallon
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »

I was there in the 5th row orchestra right.  After reading some earlier set lists and descriptions of the set I was actually worried.  This was my 12th JM show and I know he likes to change things up, so I was not at all surprised, but like I said I was concerned after reading about earlier shows. 

That being said, the show was AWESOME!  Only caught the last 10 minutes or so of the movie.  Sort of a whatever for me.

Here is my only complaint....  I know some of the early songs were slow and even the "hits" were rearranged and it took some of the non-mellenheads a while to even figure out what song he was playing sometimes.  But here's the thing:  It is still a rock concert, so please, pretty please with sugar on top, don't tap me from behind and ask me to sit down.  I don't care that you paid $130 for your tickets.  So did I, and if I want to stand I will.  Slow song, acoustic, hard rocker.  Does not matter.  Still a rock concert.  If you want to sit on your ass stay home.
BenTomas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:30 am »

I was at this show, near the back, but had a blast.  I have seen Mellencamp a few times, but this was my wife's first show, and this was part of her Christmas present from last year. I had a fantastic time, and would see this show again if it came back to LA.  However, I was a bit pissed by all the drunks who kept yelling stuff like,"Play the old shit."  I was difficult to enjoy some of the quiet numbers with people complaining about the set list. 

On a separate note, I was wondering if any of the shows on this tour would be available to buy as a download, as I would enjoy having a sow from this tour to listen to.  My wife and I would both enjoy being able to listen to it in the car on long drives.

walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

Ben, download the show from Lowell on Feb. 3, 2011 below. I'll post a download link to the first Radio City Music Hall show (Feb. 18) in the next day or two. Enjoy.

Disc 1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVU5JT7R

Disc 2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVNJERVO

Setlist:

Disc 1

01 Introduction
02 Authority Song
03 No One Cares About Me
04 Death Letter
05 John Cockers
06 Walk Tall
07 The West End
08 Check it Out
09 Banter and Intro to Save Some Time to Dream
10 Save Some Time to Dream
11 Cherry Bomb
12 Delia
13 Don't Need This Body
14 Right Behind Me
15 Jackie Brown

Disc 2

16 Intro to Longest Days (including John calling out stupid drunk guy)
17 Longest Days
18 Easter Eve
19 Jack and Diane
20 Small Town
21 Hymn
22 Rain on the Scarecrow
23 Paper in Fire
24 The Real Life
25 What if I Came Knocking
26 If I Die Sudden
27 No Better Than This
28 Pink Houses
29 R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.
30 She's So Tough (Mink DeVille cover)
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »

Thanks!

(including John calling out stupid drunk guy)

LMAO Grin
eweeks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:51:16 pm »

I don't care who you are or where your from or even what kind of music your in to.... John Mellencamp absolutely tore the F-ing house down at nokia on friday night!!! One of the best concerts I've ever been to. cheers to man for aging like a fine wine!
dolly23
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55:49 am »

The post above says it all!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: