John Mellencamp Community
April 19, 2024, 05:02:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John on Letterman  (Read 10841 times)
marianne123
Global Moderator
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:03:15 pm »

It was worth that second cup of coffee to stay up and see John on Letterman.  "Save Some Time to Dream" sounded great. I definitely have a bias, but I think Letterman's audience  might have really enjoyed a little less focus on whether John smokes.  That just is what it is.  I had hoped Letterman would have spent some time on the historic locations where the album was recorded and the unique format it was recorded in. Then there is always all the great reviews of the album and the tour.  Did I mentioned I have a bias?

-Marianne
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »

I'm right there with you on the topic of conversation....he smokes, the world knows it, evryone knows it's not good for anyone.....he's never going to change and the way John is the MORE you talk about it the MORE he's going to do it.  If Dave wanted to pull out one topic he could have brought up the baptism.  John now places the Jesus statue at every performance....even last night.  THAT would have been interesting.  I really, really think the whole world is tired of the cigarette conversation.

They also could have talked about John's new look.  Baby!! You're NOT THAT OLD!!!  You don't really need to look it!!  Anyway.....it's growing on me.

"-somedays I still don't know what to do-" 
Mary in Michigan
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:09:29 pm »

I agree the smoking thing is annoying to keep bringing up BUT... heres the thing Letterman is good friends with Michael Douglas and I think its been rough seeing his friend struggle with throat cancer.  I think Letterman being a fan of Johns music like all of us wants to make sure he can keep making new music for awhile, especially considering how good this new album and tour are. Everyone has bad habits and hopefully Johns stays healthy in other ways, just scary considering the man did have a heart attack at such a young age.

On a lighter side the beard looked awesome and the song was performed to perfection, probably my favorite performance he has done on Letterman.
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »

Loved the performance but loved the interview more.  Good to see John with his sense of humor and great smile intact!  Handled with all the frankness and honesty we know him for!!
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:29:12 am »

The best part of the interview...pointing out Hud on the cover and then informing us that the one girl was Spec's old girl friend.  Yes, it was nice to see John smile and joke around.  Did anyone catch what he said to Dave after the song performance?  I re-wound and turned the sound way up several times to try and figure it out.  He asked Dave, "Did it bring a tear to your eye?"

Mary
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:23 am »

I see there is a blurb on the home page now about RS conversation with John backstage at Letterman.  There's another subject Dave could have brought up....Willie's run in with the police.  For god's sake he had a joke about it in his opening monolog!!  I thought for sure he would discuss that with John..... 
Even Dave joked....."they can't find Bin laden, but they've got Willie!!!"

That would have made for a much more interesting interview.

Mary in Michigan
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:27:59 pm »

My husband taped it for me, so I got to see it. I too have a bias, I really don't like Letterman. Anyway, I felt it was a total waste of time asking John about all that smoking stuff. I was shocked that John didn't tell him off. I would have.  As someone else said, everyone that knows John remotely, knows he smokes. Where is there a story about John Mellencamp smoking?Huh It's old news!
I have never smoked in my life. My mother died three years ago with lung cancer at age 77. So I know the effects of smoking, but it does no good to bring it up with someone who smokes. I'm sure the smoker knows more than anyone else  the damaging effects, but it's an addiction.
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:27 am »

I thought he was going to tell him off and walk out!!!  I'm surprised he hung around...I would have been - "do you want to talk about the new album or what? "   It's not like he's the only celebrity who smokes!!!!

"-somedays' I still don't know what to do-"
Mary in Michigan

ps - Let us Mellenheads conduct on interview with John....THAT would be the interview to beat all interviews!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: