John Mellencamp Community
March 18, 2024, 09:11:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago's 1st Show!  (Read 17841 times)
susan e wagner :)
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »

Let's hear everyone's thoughts on the first show in Chicago!!

I thought it was an AMAZING show (of course)!  John seemed to be in great spirits the minute he walked on stage (despite the cold he's battling).  I enjoyed what his cold added to the more bluesy songs though (sore throats make for some awesome, RAW vocals)!!!

The crowd here was better than a few shows I had seen in Indiana (where people insisted on sitting most of the show).  Last night's crowd danced the night away and I loved it!

It was great to see a young group of kids in the front row as well-it shows that Mellencamp has an effect on ALL generations!

Another awesome night of Mellencamp!

taz7676
Christine
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:04:09 pm »

Chicago show was fantastic! We were in the front row in front of Mike. Very cool!We danced all night. Before the show, a guy came out and told everyone in front it was our own private dance floor and it was ok to be right next to the stage, just to sit during Save Some Time to Dream cuz no one wants to see the back of our heads. The crowd was good and sat during the "slower" songs. During Check It Out John was right in front of me,like 2 feet away. Talk about restraint!!! He did wink at me at one point!! I checked with my husband to make sure and he said "If it wasn't at you then it was at me!" Luv the new scruffy,unshaven look,too!
I got another one of Andy's guitar picks,too! We'll be back Again Tonight in the fourth row pit!!!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:08:37 pm by taz7676 » Logged

Christine B.
Little pink houses for you and me...
Sad
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:57:03 pm »

great show- much better than what I expected

however it's the same setlist night after night after night...
which is why I will not attend tonight's show

Chicago Theater is The Best.
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:11:53 pm »

I didn't get to attend either of the Chicago shows but I was at KC and St Louis....even with them being back to back and the setlist pretty much being the same, each show is different in it's own way. I believe it was St Louis that someone hollered from the audience during Small Town and messed John up, which he acknowledged. It was quite comical, but it is little things like that that make the show different, even if the set list remains the same. Ya know? Plus I find that I might pay more attention to another band member rather than 100% John if I get multiple shows.  I know ya'll are gonna have a grand time tonite, R.O.C.K'in in Chicago.  Smiley
Sad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »

I didn't get to attend either of the Chicago shows but I was at KC and St Louis....even with them being back to back and the setlist pretty much being the same, each show is different in it's own way. I believe it was St Louis that someone hollered from the audience during Small Town and messed John up, which he acknowledged. It was quite comical, but it is little things like that that make the show different, even if the set list remains the same. Ya know? Plus I find that I might pay more attention to another band member rather than 100% John if I get multiple shows.  I know ya'll are gonna have a grand time tonite, R.O.C.K'in in Chicago.  Smiley

mmmm  Undecided
not for me
I guess I'm used to bands like Widespread and Furthur, Allmans etc
where they change the setlists every night, ESPECIALLY back to back in the same joint

whatever...
glad I went and  a birthday show no less  Grin
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

That's cool, nice way to spend a birthday.  Smiley   I don't think I've ever seen anyone back to back at the same venue before but when we followed the KISS farewell tour, it was the same show night after night. LOL   We had the schedule down good when that was done.  hahahhe
duey23

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:47 pm »

I loved last night probably the most out of 22+ years and about 40 shows of seeing John.

Two things that irritated me last night which were related.  During the slow/serious songs, several people just start full blown conversations like they are in some nightclub somewhere and some local band is on stage.  Although I'm not opposed to that, sometimes it was hard to hear what John was saying/singing and that got to me a bit.  Secondly, there seems to always be the drunk a**hole who bitches that he's not singing songs they know.  Particularly a drunk idiot in my section (MNFL1L) who yelled "Sing Jack and Diane" and then a minute later, "Hey John, I said sing Jack and Diane".  He then got out of control screaming that he was getting bummed out by this sad "sh*t".  Thankfully many fans shouted him down and security finally came and got him the hell out.  (about 2 songs before John sang Jack & Diane!!)  Of course, he probably would have been pissed at John for how he's re-worked it (as he's been doing for a few years now).

Okay, on to the things I love.  This current sound and soul that plays with John through his music is wonderful. Very Johnny Cash-like but with a gritty soul of the man who has seen/done it all.  The upright bass adds a fantastic feeling to the music and when Dane is playing the "cocktail drum kit" it just rounds it all out.

Small Town played as a solo-acoustic and stripped down even more is honestly how that song SHOULD be played in my opinion.  But probably Scarecrow should be played that way too as that's really the tone for it.

I love love love Save some time to dream and Don't need this body.  But sadly it makes me think of John thinking about his own elder statesmanship.  Really liked hearing him bring back Jackie Brown with Miriam.  Wow, what a lovely new take on that one off Big Daddy.

The 'new hymn' that Miriam and Troye play is amazing.

I would love it if John would do a solo-acoustic of 'Play Guitar' as frankly, the whole show sort of screams that line "forget about all that macho sh*t and learn how to play guitar".  (has for years, but this recent tour really hits that home)

I have to be honest, if John would record the "hits" as he performs them now and would put it out on an album, I'd buy it in less than a minute and treasure it more than the originals.  They would replace the originals as they are in my iPod.

Great night thought.  A nice date night for my wife and I not having to worry about our 3-year old and really enjoying fantastic music as we've come to know with John.

Great job all the way around.
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:12:40 am »

Amazing show, I loved it.  Used to live near Chicago and flew out from Tucson to see him... and the the family of course, lol.  The crowd for the most part was energetic and dancing most of the time.  Sadly there were a few groups of people that were extremely rude from the top balcony yelling for him to play old stuff (while he was playing a slow song), I was able to hear them all the way down at the bottom and had a hard time hearing John.  Just ridiculous John has said this concert was going to be different maybe about a 1000 times.  For me this concert was great and I am a younger Mellencamp fan (24) and I listen to all sorts of old and new music and I think his direction that he has taken is fantastic.  The first time I saw him in 2005 for the words and music tour he was fantastic as well and obviously was playing all of his older stuff but this time around he seems to be more content, relaxed, and happy.  It comes across when hes singing and it makes the performance great to watch.  I agree with duey23 100% the way he has reworked the songs jack and diane and pink houses is great and Id buy those cuts live in a heartbeat, hope your listening John.  First time Ive heard Real Life live and loved it along with If I Die Sudden.  Both of those were a treat to see live.

Sad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:35:17 pm »

Teardrops Will Fall would be a good tune for John to play as well...
taz7676
Christine
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »

Loved Death Letter live! When he flipped up his collar and did his dancin' moves we all went nuts!

Christine B.
Little pink houses for you and me...
susan e wagner :)
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »

Loved Death Letter live! When he flipped up his collar and did his dancin' moves we all went nuts!

You and me both! If that's not FEELING the music you're singing, I don't know what is!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: