John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 08:42:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why drop "Thinking About You"?  (Read 18841 times)
robuster
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:59:54 am »

"Thinking About You" is my favorite song on his newest album and from the early  reviews it sounded like a highlight of his current tour. In my opinion it's not only the best song on the most recent album but it ranks up there as one of his best songs ever. My hope is he puts it back into the setlist prior to, or at the first Minneapolis show as that is the one I will be at.
littlesusie39
Global Moderator
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:58 pm »

yeah, I was wondering what happened that made him drop that. I thought it sounded excellent the first night; also one of my favorite ones

Freedom’s Road:  If you want to take a ride
Well you’ve got to pay the toll

sweetrose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

I am sure that John is going to do alot of song omitting/changing as this tour progresses, it happens all the time !
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »

I hope he keeps mixing up the setlist, even 2 - 3 songs at a time! Cool

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:29 am »

It will be interesting to see how much changes before my April shows. There are a few songs I hope stay though but I am sure I will be happy either way. Smiley
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:54 am »

If I were going to more than one show this time, I would love to see a variety of songs, but with this being my only show, tonight, I'm praying that everything stays the same, even that he adds "Thinking About You" back in.  I've been going crazy the last few weeks.  this is the show I've been waiting for.

Dar
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »

I was at Bloomington for the first 2 shows and LOVED this song.  I will be going to the Mnneapolis shows and would love to hear it.  There are other songs on the record that I like as well but this is in the top 2 for me.   

There is a time to cry and a time to get with it.
kyralexis
Global Moderator
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:41:21 pm »

I went to 4 shows and was thrilled to get to hear 3 different songs in that spot!  I loved Thinking About You, but it sure was awesome to hear Human Wheels and What If I Came Knocking!  If I were going to more shows I would certainly enjoy the surprise of hearing a different song in that spot!  I don't think I'd want him changing too much else, tho!! 
petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:49:28 am »

Of any song on NBTT, Thinking About You could actually make it on AC radio in my opinion.  Such a beautiful song and the most uncomplicated one JM has written in quite some time.  Very catchy too.  I did not know the setlist when I went to KC, but was saddened afterwards when I read previous show reviews and found out he dropped it.  It is my favorite on NBTT. 

Show was terrific.  Glad to have heard Human Wheels before he replaced that one.

It sure would feel good to feel good again, Oh My Sweet Love...
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

I am a little sad I missed Human Wheels.  It is close to the top of my list of JM songs I love, especially acoustically.  I saw him sing it that way once in 2001, just 1 month after my dad passed away from Parkinson's disease.  I cried through the entire song. 

ana777

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:58:22 pm »

My name is Anita and on November 22, 2010 John picked me to go up on stage to dance and sing with him. Please did anyone videotape it because I would love to see it.
petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »

I am a little sad I missed Human Wheels.  It is close to the top of my list of JM songs I love, especially acoustically.  I saw him sing it that way once in 2001, just 1 month after my dad passed away from Parkinson's disease.  I cried through the entire song. 

I wish he would have played that for you.  He delivered it full band in KC and it was pretty awesome.  I have seen footage of some older solo acoustic performances and it was amazing as well. 
John's music has a lot of meaning in so many ways.  When my mom passed at the young age of 53 with no signs of illness, I strayed in some scary directions.  Somehow, someway, John's music was the only mainstay that kept me in survival mode.  So many nights I wanted to be gone too. 
I will play Human Wheels and send a special prayer in your dad's honor as well.  God Bless.

Pete

oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:50:22 am »

Hey Pete.  I just want to say thank you for your kind words.  I didn't get back to this topic until now and it was really sweet of you to say that.  I can't even imagine what you went through when you lost your mom like that.  Isn't is amazing what JM's music has meant to so many people in their struggles?  I wonder if he really knows how much he has helped others.

petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

You are correct.  John's music simply makes sense to me.

I sure hope he has a clue as to how he has helped so many of us deal with life.

Take care.

davidk55
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:24:13 pm »

I went to 4 shows and was thrilled to get to hear 3 different songs in that spot!  I loved Thinking About You, but it sure was awesome to hear Human Wheels and What If I Came Knocking!  If I were going to more shows I would certainly enjoy the surprise of hearing a different song in that spot!  I don't think I'd want him changing too much else, tho!! 

Human wheels is an amazing song , also in my top 10 !!  Heard him play it a few years back & it was great .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: