John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 05:43:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Classic Mellencamp Band Reunite?  (Read 8243 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:07 pm »

Will ‘classic’ Mellencamp band lineup reunite?

By David Lindquist

Near the end of a John Mellencamp interview published in The Sunday Star (http://www.indystar.com/article/20101107/ENTERTAINMENT/11070302/Mellencamp-at-ease-no-hits-in-sight), the Hoosier rock star addresses rumors that he might work again with guitarist Larry Crane, drummer Kenny Aronoff, bass player Toby Myers and guitarist Mike Wanchic.

Working with Wanchic wouldn’t be news. He’s been a full-time member in Mellencamp’s band since 1978.

But Crane, Aronoff and Myers were fixtures of Mellencamp’s MTV heyday who left the touring lineup more than a decade ago.

Myers exited on good terms after 1998′s “John Mellencamp” album, citing “retirement” — although he appeared on 2003′s “Trouble No More” project and presently performs with multiple Indiana-based bands.

Aronoff and Mellencamp parted ways in the mid-’90s, largely because Aronoff stacked up a wealth of high-profile jobs with acts other than Mellencamp.

Crane and Mellencamp had a contentious split in the early-’90s, based on Crane’s view that he and his band mates were underpaid.

“I got no bones with any of those guys anymore,” Mellencamp said during an Oct. 28 interview in Bloomington. “If there’s a tenuous relationship, it’s probably between me and Larry — but I’m sure he’s mature enough and I’m mature enough.

“I know what would happen if we got into a room. I’d look at him, he’d look at me and I’d say, ‘Let’s go.’

“That would be the end of it: ‘Let’s go to work.’”

For now, Mellencamp has shelved any reunion of his “classic” supporting cast because he doesn’t want to give the impression that a tour with Crane, Myers and Aronoff would follow.

“This is the best rock band in America right now,” he said of Wanchic, guitarist Andy York, violin player Miriam Sturm, drummer Dane Clark, bass player Jon Gunnell and keyboard player Troye Kinnett. “Why would I abandon them?”

Tomorrow: Mellencamp’s “dangerous” offstage accessory.

http://blogs.indystar.com/sounds/2010/11/07/will-classic-mellencamp-band-lineup-reunite/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:43:01 pm by walktall2010 » Logged
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:16 am »

I have to agree that the present band is mature, talented and works like a well-oiled machine.  People part ways for reasons known, and unknown at times, but what has evolved to present day is a fantastic group of talented musicians who are outstanding live.  They have also been able to do their independent work while maintaining their input with Mellencamp and this is also hard to maintain as artists grow and their musical tastes differ and develop.

The only thing I'd love to occasionally see live would be some of the female backing vocalists who have appeared with the band over the years.  The band does well without them but there are some songs where they are truly missed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: