John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 04:28:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Other People’s Stuff  (Read 9628 times)
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:24:01 am »

So it was made official today that this was old material, most of which available on other albums. Why is this being touted as a studio album? Press releases are calling it John’s 24th studio album- this is a compilation album, like words and music and the best that I could do-not a new studio record. Is it intended to bamboozle fans into thinking it’s a new album? I’ll admit I am a tad disappointed and I know a lot of die hard s will be too.
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:11:09 pm »

Not sure why you’re disappointed. John generally doesn’t release anything between studio albums, so a compilation of cover songs, many of which are not readily available digitally at this point, is a nice addition to his catalog. Plus, we get one brand new recording out of it. Having all these songs available under a title in John’s catalog instead of on a bunch of disparate compilation and tribute releases is a good thing.

I’d recommend you take a look at the big picture, which is this is better than nothing, and nothing is what usually accompanies the gap between original Mellencamp studio albums.
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:51:59 pm »

I am not disappointed in the collection. I’m disappointed in the way it was promoted as a new album. It is a new release, and any time there is a new Mellencamp release it’s cause for celebration. I just just think it should be called what it is: a compilation of Johns covers, with one new recording. I do not think it should be called “the 24th studio album”. I mean two of the tracks are from trouble no more, one of his great studio albums.
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:28:09 pm »

A bit disappointed with this release, wish the album was longer, and included some of John's more obscure covers, glad ''Gambling Ballroom Blues'' was included.
sgoodwin
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:08:41 pm »

Well.... I have to be honest..... I thought the song stunk.     I am a big fan ...love his shows and energy...but this song does not cut it.    Disappointing ....it's not rock it's not country ....it's terrible.    If I introduced this song to non JM fans ...they'd say WTF is this ?   that was my thinking too

Most of the songs on the new album were already available on another artist's cd, etc.

I wish he put out 'new' stuff that wasn't available on iTunes etc already

i pre-ordered the album ....hope it's a lot better than this song
sgoodwin
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 04:11:21 pm »

and to those that replied about how it was promoted ... you are right ...it's not a studio album
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:02 am »

Well.... I have to be honest..... I thought the song stunk.     I am a big fan ...love his shows and energy...but this song does not cut it.    Disappointing ....it's not rock it's not country ....it's terrible.

If we're talking about ''Eyes On The Prize'', the fact that ''as you say'' it's not rock or country doesn't make it terrible. To be honest some of the greatest music ever made is neither of those things, while some of the worst ''like much of what passes for rock or country these days'' IS.
sgoodwin
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »

you are correct ....i should not have labeled "eyes on the prize" as a 'type' of music ....i just did not care for the song at all .... i'd like to hear others comment on the song
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »

If i'm correct, the song is just a more stripped down version of the song as performed at The White House  that is included on the upcoming CD, with John sounding a bit more ragged. I didn't care much for the arrangement when i first heard it, which is why i hadn't commented on it until now, but after having watched the video a few times it's really grown on me.

Here's the great White House version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0Ne813QUU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: