John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 11:46:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's up with Rolling Stone magazine?? No "Sad clowns and hillbillies" review?  (Read 11337 times)
bradleym
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2017, 05:06:03 pm »

Is John and Rolling stone magazine at odds with each other? They have not put out a review for  Mellencamp's new album "sad clowns and hillbillies". Plus in their last magazine it looked like they were trying to make John look bad. They posted someone's "Mellencamp Blues" comment that was an attack on Mellencamp. Then they posted about him touring and made him look like him did not care about what his fans wanted him to play. So what's up with all this?  I wrote the authors and editors at Rolling Stone magazine asking about a review for his new album and still haven't heard anything back. Do you guys have any insight as to why Rolling Stone magazine has not given a review for the Sad clowns and hillbillies album???  Here's what I wrote to Rolling Stone magazine-   "I've been a subscriber to rollingstone magazine for years!!! I've been a huge Mellencamp fan my whole life. I always look forward to reading your guys reviews on albums he releases. Which he normally gets high praise. Are you guys not going to release a review for sad clowns and hillbillies?? I have the album I think it's one of the better ones he has put out in recent years. Hopefully to be reading a review from you guys here soon"  Thanks, Michael Bradley

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:12:18 pm by bradleym » Logged
hoss13820
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:40:10 am »

I noticed this too. I have been a Rolling Stone subscriber since 1985, and in the past few years the quality and quantity have gone down hill. The reviews used to be one of my favorite features, but I have noticed this section has gotten smaller, and the reviews offer little insight, like they used to. I feel it isn't only John, but I have also noticed some other high profile releases not get a review.  Might be attributed to today's cherry pick songs mind set, and the decline of the actual art know as the album.
bradleym
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »

And now RollingStone just put out their top 50 albums "so far" of 2017 and once again John Mellencamp's - sad clowns and hillbillies album was not on the list. What a joke!!!  I'm about to unsubscribe to that magazine, that makes no fucking sense.  That magazine gives John Mellencamp no love at all. If Bruce Springsteen put that same album out, that magazine would say it's an instant classic and give it five stars!!! They are so biased to certain people it's not even funny. I'm done with that garbage magazine... 😡😡😡 RollingStone magazine is= 🐶💩
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »

And now RollingStone just put out their top 50 albums "so far" of 2017 and once again John Mellencamp's - sad clowns and hillbillies album was not on the list. What a joke!!!  I'm about to unsubscribe to that magazine, that makes no fucking sense.  That magazine gives John Mellencamp no love at all. If Bruce Springsteen put that same album out, that magazine would say it's an instant classic and give it five stars!!! They are so biased to certain people it's not even funny. I'm done with that garbage magazine... 😡😡😡 RollingStone magazine is= 🐶💩

I have nothing but contempt for both RS and Bruce, one is garbage and the other has been putting out mostly garbage for decades. Both are, and have been extremely overrated for as long as i can remember, they deserve each other.
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:39 am »

So glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking! I've said the same thing about both for years. It kills me that Bruce can do something John has done years before and then get praise for his "ground breaking" work. It may not be his fault but I can't listen to him because of that. Well, that's not entirely true, I cannot deal with his voice either!

Lisa in Georgia
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:08 pm »

So glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking! I've said the same thing about both for years. It kills me that Bruce can do something John has done years before and then get praise for his "ground breaking" work. It may not be his fault but I can't listen to him because of that. Well, that's not entirely true, I cannot deal with his voice either!

Lisa in Georgia

I cannot stand his voice either, but it's not only that, it's also that wanna-be midwestern/southern accent of his ''or whatever the hell it is'' the stupid bandana, the make-up, and the way he struts on stage like he's still 25. But what really gets my dander up is the fact that so many of his apparently blind and tone deaf followers still think John is the lightweight of the two. Still none of that would matter if his post 70s output was one tenth as interesting and compelling as John's is, but it's not even close.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »

any comparision of artists is somehow stupid. they all are influenced by all and do their OWN thing in the end. dylan never was the new guthrie, as springsteen never was the new dylan, and mellencamp never was springsteen etc...everyone can listen and like what he wants, for me bruce springsteen has made great records and his live shows are unique. if i had to chose one, iŽd always take john, but i am happy that a few more guys make great music.

btw, german rolling stone had a review of "Sad Clowns & Hillbillies" and gave it 3 and half stars, as they always do. and in the past issue they had a Q&A with john.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: