John Mellencamp Community
March 18, 2024, 09:33:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about a show (first time I saw John)  (Read 14661 times)
Harlan59
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:51:10 am »

So last night (Happy New Year btw) I was talking about the great 30th anniversary of Farm Aid show this fall in Chicago, and the first farm aid I was at in Champaign with friends at our party last night. I said I saw John for the first time as an opening act at the Assembly Hall in Champaign in '78, or '79, or sometime about them, maybe as an opener for a Springsteen show (or someone else perhaps my memory is muddled) and was told this never happened. Can any one confirm this ?
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 01:06:44 pm »

So last night (Happy New Year btw) I was talking about the great 30th anniversary of Farm Aid show this fall in Chicago, and the first farm aid I was at in Champaign with friends at our party last night. I said I saw John for the first time as an opening act at the Assembly Hall in Champaign in '78, or '79, or sometime about them, maybe as an opener for a Springsteen show (or someone else perhaps my memory is muddled) and was told this never happened. Can any one confirm this ?

John did several arena opening slots in the US, The Kinks, Kiss, Heart most notably. He never opened up for Springsteen.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Harlan59

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:21:10 pm »

Thanks Tony!  - is there a record anywhere of John doing an arena opener at the Assembly Hall in Champaign on this era ? I'd like to figure out what show I saw him.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:52:20 pm »

Thanks Tony!  - is there a record anywhere of John doing an arena opener at the Assembly Hall in Champaign on this era ? I'd like to figure out what show I saw him.

Not any official record connected with John or his website. I think your best bet is to keep posting here, maybe post/ask on Facebook and the YahooGroups Human Wheels mailing list.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
aburke32

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:48 pm »

I couldn't have been luckier ..my first show was April 1986..at I.U. memorial stadium little 500 concert..I was 13 and it was a total blast..MTV was in Bloomington all weekend ..I was a huge fan before that but that night was a memory I'll never forget..I'm 43 now and have seen john a total of 30 times live..maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to shake his hand in person..I would love to have my t-shirt I bought that night but I think a ex girlfriend made off with it..I do have my ticket stub..and all the rest of my old t-shirts from the rest of the shows..I would give my right arm for that shirt back!

little bastard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: