John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 05:21:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit to Seymour  (Read 11563 times)
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2015, 07:08:54 pm »

Hi everyone! My husband Michael and I are in Seymour Indiana tonight! I never got to attend the Mellencamp fests because I had a crappy job and couldn't be out of work. So this is our first time visiting!
We actually only realized we would pass by on our way to see our son graduate Navy basic training on Wednesday so we really didn't plan anything out. Thursday we stopped in at Larrison's for breakfast and that was great. Everyone was super nice. The Southern Indiana Center for the Arts was closed so we decided we would come back on Saturday.
Our son's graduation was awesome and we were able to spend the day with him. I'm hoping that he is able to come home for Christmas but won't know until next week. Fingers crossed!
Today we went to the Southern Indiana Center for the Arts. It was amazing to see John's paintings and all the Mellenhead items. I couldn't believe that the page I did all those years ago for John's birthday is displayed there. It was nice to see that! Michael bought me the autographed "John with puppet" poster. Can't wait to have it matted and framed!
Tomorrow we are going to do the official Mellencamp tour before we leave town. Tonight we are just going to rest! This week has been a whirlwind! After we eat we are going to be trying big red soda! Since we don't do sugar it's going to be interesting to say the least!

Best,
Lisa in Georgia
MrSickboy50
MrSickboy50
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »

Oh that sounds AWESOME! I've never been to Indiana even through I share a border right here in Michigan. But I REALLY hope to someday! I've been planning to in a couple of years when I get out of high school and learn how to drive and get a job.
It's so awesome that you got something displayed at SICA! Smiley Did you go to Bloomington? It's right next to Seymour and that's where John Mellencamp lives. He lives on lake Monroe. I think it's so great that John never forgot where he came from and stays here in Indiana. Gosh I love that guy! <3

I'm 19 years old and proud to be a hardcore John Mellencamp fan. - Brianna Hojnacki
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:40 pm »

No, we weren't able to go to Bloomington this time. We didn't plan this trip; it just happened. Our main focus was seeing our son graduate from Navy Basic training but he thought it was cool that we were able to visit Seymour.

Best,
Lisa
Jgmanns81
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:42:18 am »

That's funny you are from Georgia cause that's where I 1st heard john I was 5 I'm 36 been living in Seymour 24 years now my mom thought he talked about it nice I lived in dalton Calhoun and Augusta just really can't remember where John started which town I know it was Georgia and I hope you enjoyed what I call my hometown now Seymour Indiana
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:10:37 am »

That's funny you are from Georgia cause that's where I 1st heard john I was 5 I'm 36 been living in Seymour 24 years now my mom thought he talked about it nice I lived in dalton Calhoun and Augusta just really can't remember where John started which town I know it was Georgia and I hope you enjoyed what I call my hometown now Seymour Indiana

I did! I'm hoping to go back and spend more than just a few hours bugging around! I live in Northeast Georgia. We are fairly close to South Carolina but not far from Athens, Georgia. Athens is a great music scene (REM, B-52's etc) and the home of The University of Georgia and the Bulldogs! I've been through Dalton a couple of times. My husband works for the Agricultural dept and Dalton is one of his areas so he knows it pretty well.

Hope you are able to see John this time!
Best
Lisa
Jgmanns81
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:01 pm »

Augusta was where I lived for longest but I remember all of it yeah r.e.m another band from '80s MTV days best part of childhood but other than larrisons and art gallery the Seymour John sang about is long gone most places in videos are gone but downtown has a parking meter dedicated to john that's probably my favorite thing here and the mellencamp tombstone on edge of town but it's still my hometown it's still my my favorite place to be I'll probably die and they better bury me here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: