John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 02:44:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Nominated for Songwriters Hall of Fame  (Read 5040 times)
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »

Remember this is an organization any music fan can join and be a voting member of. Consider joining today so you can vote for John this winter!

By MESFIN FEKADU - Associated Press -

George Harrison, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Madonna, Tom Petty and John Mellencamp are among the A-list contenders nominated for the 2016 Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Blondie, Gloria Estefan, the Isley Brothers, Sly Stone and Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards are also up for the top honor. Winners will be inducted next June in New York City.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame gave The Associated Press a list of the nominees in advance of the official announcement, set for Tuesday.

Nonperforming songwriters nominated for the honor include Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds, Berry Gordy, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and Max Martin, who has co-written No.1 hits for Britney Spears, Katy Perry, the Weeknd and Taylor Swift.

Eligible members have until Dec. 11 to submit their votes for three non-performing nominees, two performing nominees and one deceased nominee.  Not a member?  To be able to vote in the election please join HERE

Performing nominees also include Michael McDonald, Tom T. Hall, Jeff Lynne and Steve Miller, while Lionel Bart, Bert Berns and Roger Miller are among the deceased nominees.

Additional nonperforming nominees include Teddy Riley, Rudy Clark, Dallas Frazier, John D. Loudermilk, Bob McDill, Chip Taylor, Curly Putman and Rod Temperton, who wrote Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” ”Rock With You” and “Off the Wall.”

The 2016 Songwriters Hall of Fame Annual Induction and Awards Gala will take place June 9, 2016.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE:
New York, NY – October 6, 2015 - The Songwriters Hall of Fame has announced its slate of nominees to be elected for induction at its Annual Induction & Awards Gala on June 9, 2016, in New York City.
The Songwriters Hall of Fame is dedicated to recognizing the work and lives of those composers and lyricists who create music around the world. Eligible voting members will have until December 11, 2015 to turn in ballots with their choices of three nominees from a non-performing category, two from a performing category and one from a deceased category.
For information with which to join or renew as a voting member before November 2 in order to participate in this election, please go to songhall.org/join.

And the nominees are: (please visit songhall.org for all nominees in all categories. (*Note that the five songs listed after each nominee are merely a representative sample of their extensive catalogs)

Performing Songwriters

Gloria Estefan
Combined with her voice, Gloria Estefan’s songwriting has made her one of the biggest Latin music crossover stars ever, and the embodiment of the “Miami Sound.” She wrote the No. 1 pop hits “Don’t Wanna Lose You” (the Spanish version, “Si Voy a Perderte,” topped the Hot Latin Songs charts) and “Anything for You,” as well as the chart-topping Adult Contemporary hit “Words Get in the Way.” She also had a hand in co-writing Hot Latin No. 1 hits including “Tradición,” which despite being in Spanish, reached No. 1 on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Songs chart. 
Key songs in the Estefan catalog include: * Anything For You * Can’t Stay Away From You * Don’t Wanna Lose You * Here We Are * Words Get In The Way 

Tom T. Hall
Known as “The Storyteller,” Country Music and Nashville Songwriters Hall of Famer Tom T. Hall typically told stories in songs such as the Grammy-winning “Harper Valley PTA,” which allowed Jeannie C. Riley to top both the pop and country singles charts in 1968, and Hall’s own No. 1 country hit “(Old Dogs, Children and) Watermelon Wine,” which Rolling Stone has ranked in its list of 100 greatest country songs. Hall’s other hits include country classics “I Love,” “Country Is,” “The Year Clayton Delaney Died,” “I Like Beer” and “Faster Horses (the Cowboy and the Poet).” Other artists who have recorded Hall compositions include Johnny Cash, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Bobby Bare, Waylon Jennings and Alan Jackson, who took his “Little Bitty” to No. 1 on the country charts in 1996. 
Key songs in the Hall catalog include: * Harper Valley PTA * I Love * Old Dogs Children and Watermelon Wine * I’m Not Ready Yet * Little Bitty 

Deborah Harry & Chris Stein p/k/a “Blondie”
The creative duo at the core of Blondie, lead singer Deborah Harry and guitarist Chris Stein, artfully managed to span punk rock, disco, rap and reggae. Their No. 1 hit compositions “Heart of Glass” and “Rapture” brought them international popularity and made them by far the most commercially successful group to emerge from New York’s thriving underground music scene of the late 1970s. With Blondie, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006. 
Key songs in the Harry/Stein catalog include: * Dreaming * Heart Of Glass * In The Flesh *Picture This * Rapture 

Ernie, Marvin, O’Kelly, Ronald & Rudolph Isley & Chris Jasper p/k/a “The Isley Brothers”
Initially a vocal trio made up of brothers O’Kelly Isley Jr., Rudolph Isley and Ronald Isley, the Isley Brothers broke in 1959 with their first composition “Shout,” also a big UK hit for Lulu. The first single for their own T-Neck label, 1964’s “Testify,” also stands out for being one of Jimi Hendrix’s first recordings, as Hendrix recorded and toured with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame vocal group. Following the Grammy-winning “It’s Your Thing” (1969), younger brothers Ernie and Marvin Isley and brother-in-law Chris Jasper joined in 1971, and the Isley Brothers, in varying configurations and incorporating different styles, wrote and recorded such hits as “Pop That Thang,” “That Lady,” “Fight the Power,” “For the Love of You” and “Caravan of Love,” with Ice Cube sampling their song “Footsteps in the Dark” for his hit “It Was a Good Day” and Notorious B.I.G. likewise sampling “Between the Sheets” for his hit “Big Poppa.” 
Key songs in the Isley catalog include: * Fight The Power * It’s Your Thing *Nobody But Me * Shout * That Lady 

Jeff Lynne
English pop-rock luminary Jeff Lynne first found fame in The Move, then made it big on both sides of the pond as leader of the Electric Light Orchestra. With ELO, he wrote such hits as “Can’t Get It Out of My Head,” “Livin’ Thing,” “Mr. Blue Sky” and “Don’t Bring Me Down.” He later co-founded the Traveling Wilburys with George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty, and had a writing hand in their hits “Handle With Care” and “End of the Line”; he also wrote hits for the likes of Orbison (“You Got It”) and Petty (“I Won’t Back Down” and “Free Fallin’”). 
Key songs in the Lynne catalog include: * Evil Woman * Do Ya * Don’t Bring Me Down * Mr. Blue Sky * Strange Magic 

Madonna
Madonna could never have become a music icon without songs, and she wrote and produced most of them with estimable collaborators like Steve Bray, Patrick Leonard, Shep Pettibone, Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Rick Nowels, Nate Hills, Justin Timberlake and William Orbit—with whom she wrote the Grammy-winning—“Beautiful Stranger” for the 1999 film Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. Other hits written or co-written by Madonna have become pop classics and include “Into the Groove,” “Papa Don’t Preach,” “Like a Prayer,” “Vogue,” “Frozen,” “Music,” “Hung Up” and “4 Minutes.” With themes spanning everything from love and relationships to sexuality and AIDS, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee has been recognized by Rolling Stone as “an exemplary songwriter with a gift for hooks and indelible lyrics.” 
Key songs in the Madonna catalog include: * Everybody * Into The Groove * Like A Prayer * Material Girl * Vogue 

Michael McDonald
After a stint with Steely Dan, Michael McDonald joined the Doobie Brothers in 1975 and sang lead on some of their biggest hits, many of which—including “Takin’ It to the Streets,” “Minute by Minute” and the 1980 Grammy Song of the Year “What a Fool Believes”—he wrote or co-wrote. Going solo, his 1982 debut album featured his hit composition “I Keep Forgettin’ (Every Time You’re Near)”; his 1990 album title track hit “Take It to Heart” was co-written with Diane Warren. McDonald also co-wrote with Carly Simon her hit “You Belong to Me,” Van Halen’s hit “I’ll Wait,” and his Grammy-winning R&B duet with James Ingram, “Yah Mo B There.” 
Key songs in the McDonald catalog include: * What a Fool Believes * Takin’ It to the Streets * Minute by Minute * It Keeps You Runnin’ * Real Love 

John Mellencamp
Finding fame first as rocker Johnny Cougar, John Mellencamp gradually reclaimed his real name while staking out his own singular rock sound. Indeed, songs like “Small Town” and “Cherry Bomb” embodied the genre of music now known as roots rock, or Americana. Together with massive Top 40 hits like “Hurt So Good” and “R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.,” they propelled Mellencamp into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame—one of many honors bestowed on him during his venerable career. 
Key songs in the Mellencamp catalog include: * Jack And Diane * Lonely Ol’ Night * Pink Houses * Small Town * The Authority Song 

Steve Miller
Schooled in guitar by his father’s friend Les Paul, Steve Miller picked up a heavy blues influence from the likes of T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy, eventually forming his own Steve Miller Blues Band—at one time including pal Boz Scaggs. After removing “Blues” from the band’s name, he became an album rock-era figurehead before breaking through to pop with the chart-topping titletrack of his 1973 album “The Joker.” Other originals include “Rock ‘n Me” and “Abracadabra,” both of which likewise went to No. 1. 
Key songs in the Miller catalog include: * Abracadabra * Fly Like An Eagle * Living In The USA * Take The Money And Run * The Joker 

Tom Petty
Tom Petty led his band The Heartbreakers to a unique position in the rock scene of the late 1970s and ‘80s with a distinctively rootsy sound and great original songs like “Free Fallin’” and “Don’t Do Me Like That.” Such was his stature that he joined Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne in the late ‘80s supergroup Traveling Wilburys. He was rewarded in 2002 with induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 
Key songs in the Petty catalog include: * Don’t Come Around Here No More * I Won’t Back Down * Free Fallin’ * Refugee * Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around 

Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards (d)
With the late Bernard Edwards, fellow producer Nile Rodgers formed Chic--one of the most important bands of the disco era. Both “Le Freak” and Good Times” went to No. 1 on the pop charts, prompting Rodgers and Edwards to produce and write for other artists on their Atlantic Records roster, including Sister Sledge, whose “We Are Family” was a huge hit--and remade by Rodgers as a benefit recording for his “We Are Family Foundation” after 9-11. But Rodgers and Edwards also wrote and produced for other artists including Diana Ross (her hits “Upside Down” and “I’m Coming Out”). Rodgers went on to compose soundtracks while continuing his songwriting and production efforts, scoring a hit in 2014 with the song “Get Lucky” on the Daft Punk album Random Access Memories. 
Key songs on the Rodgers/Edwards catalog include: * Good Times * I’m Coming Out * Le Freak * Upside Down * We Are Family 

Sylvester Stewart p/k/a "Sly Stone"
Sylvester “Sly Stone” Stewart is up there with James Brown and Parliament-Funkadelic as a pioneer of funk. A former disc jockey and producer of Bay Area bands including The Beau Brummels and the Great Society, he formed the boundary-breaking multi-racial, -gender and -genre group Sly & the Family Stone in San Francisco in 1967. The group’s classic pop hits included “Dance to The Music,” “Everyday People” and “Family Affair,” and their hugely influential recordings have been sampled time and again. 
Key songs in the Stone catalog include: * Dance To The Music * Everyday People * Family Affair * Hot Fun In The Summertime * Thank You (Falettin’ Me Be Mice Elf Again)

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: