John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 07:00:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Letterman  (Read 15430 times)
lette
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:40:50 pm »

I saw John on Dave's show last night and was just wondering if you could tell me how many times over the years John has appeared on Late night?
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:19:30 pm »

Last night was his 13th appearance on the CBS show. He did appear a couple of times on Letterman's old NBC show.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:48:02 pm »

he didnt look so hot...

John, Put the dang cigarette out. Smoking During the interview Undecided
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:00:32 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
MNorris149
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:23 am »

Sorry but I have to agree here. I really hate to see him smoking. I know it's not any of our business but I really hate to hear him talk about being really good at smoking. I don't think that's a big accomplishment and he's had lots of those. Talking about your body being too polluted for cancer? All I hear these days is someone else I know finding out they've got cancer. I feel like he's playing Russian roulette and doesn't care. It really upsets me to no end to hear him talk like that.

Before anyone blows me out; I watched my mother take her last breath when I was 14 years old and she was 35. She died of lung cancer and yes she smoked. I think I've earned the right to feel the way I do about it. I do know it's hard to quit and I have several family members and friends who do and even they can't believe how John keeps talking about being good at it.

Sorry for the rant!
Lisa in Georgia
Sk8ingMellenhead
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 10:31:59 am »

I agree with you Lisa. Seems as though he's in denial about the dangers, which unfortunately, a lot of people are. The idea is, if it hasn't hurt me yet, it won't. No, it isn't a big accomplishment and certainly not one that I would be proud of but I think it goes back to trying to make light of something. When we know something is bad, but do it anyway, if we make light of it, it "automatically" becomes "better". It is very upsetting.

I completely get where you're coming from and you certainly have the right to feel this way. My condolences about your mother.

Cry

Sk8ingMellenhead

It's what you do and not what you say, if you're not part of the future then get out of the way.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

I hear ya Lisa.

I have have several relatives who say they's would rather die than stop smoking. Its a bad addiction. he forgot he had a heart attack?? Talk about denial.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/john-mellencamp-smokes-on-letterman-cant-remember-own-heart-attack-2015284

I really thought it was way over the top to smoke during the interview .Im Shocked they LET him. I thought there were laws.

Apparently hes off again with Meg, and his grueling touring schedule combined and other stuff maybe be contributing to increased smoking.

He looks like he could use a looooong vacation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:06:36 am by Mellenfan71 » Logged
shelly0728
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:58:18 am »

let him be himself...you dont know what he"s feeling

kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:44:10 am »

Do i wish John would quit smoking, sure, but i've resigned myself to the fact that he's probably never gonna give it up, and he'll probably outlive many ''if not most'' of us. The fact that John looked so tired on Letterman, as if he hadn't gotten any sleep bothered me more than the smoking.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:46:27 am by kicker » Logged
lette
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 02:28:17 pm »

I agree, John isn't about to give up smoking anytime soon! He had a heart attack and that didn't make him stop, I do believe his sons started a Facebook petition to get him to stop too and that didn't work either. I think John knows he's had a good life he's done everything he wants to do and he really is not worried about dieing - listen to the lyrics of his songs - so he is going to carry on smoking and doing what he wants to do the way he wants to do it until he drops down dead and happy! I'm thinking he shouldn't have been smoking on tv either but hey All us fans know he smokes like a chimney so apart from breaking a few laws it made no difference to me, didn't he smoke at his hall of fame induction too?
michellepolonis
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »

I recently saw him on the 2015 tour. Thinking back now about the concert and after seeing the Letterman interview I have a feeling John is giving us a message. (I hope and pray I am wrong about this)

Having Carlene Carter open. The songs she sang and the stories she told.
The songs John sang and the stories he told.
It was THE most amazing concert I've ever seen. It was also THE most thought provoking 'play' I've ever seen.

A person knows in their soul everything including their future, but, as John put it so well
"In these days of uncertain futures
Who knows what the masters might do"

Everyone has the power to change the course of anything in their life at any point in their journey. I'm sure 'Buddys' grandmother would agree with that.

John Mellencamp IS John Mellencamp. I feel blessed to have listened to his poetry over the years.
I am excited and anticipating to hear more of his wisdom for many decades to come.

For anyone reading this that thinks he should give up smoking. Let the man be himself and walk his own path.
Read Johns own words regarding smoking and other things before you tell him how to live his life;
""I'm gonna keep smoking and I'm good at it," he added. "I've written a couple of good songs, I'm kind of good on stage, and I have a good first kiss."

On that note I'm going outside to burn one and crank Minutes to Memories.

Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 07:32:38 pm »

the only thing good i can say is im glad he got away from meg.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:37:15 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: