John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 04:59:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So what's the deal with "ICON" being "Greatest Hits 3"?! How's that work?!  (Read 8578 times)
AlexKx
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:08 am »

Sooo what's the deal with the new compilation "ICON" being "Greatest Hits 3"?!     How does that work?!     What is it the third greatest hits to?!     There isn't a one or two and don't all of the others already have a bunch of the songs on here?     Wow!    I don't know when I've seen such a blunder before.     Can you all explain this?
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:07:20 am »

Sooo what's the deal with the new compilation "ICON" being "Greatest Hits 3"?!     How does that work?!     What is it the third greatest hits to?!     There isn't a one or two and don't all of the others already have a bunch of the songs on here?     Wow!    I don't know when I've seen such a blunder before.     Can you all explain this?

It's the third single disc best of/greatest hits that Universal has released for John. We didn't make a big deal about this on John's site or social media pages. I agree it's a slightly  confusing title.

These releases are a way to get John's music into various stores. The Icon series is a budget priced series and gives potential new fans a low price collection to pick up as an introduction to John.

There is no new material on this release. You will often see this series on displays right near checkouts of retail stores or even truck stops.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
AlexKx
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:22 pm »

Thank you for responding and trying to explain to me what the deal is.     

I am familiar with the "ICON" series and I do think it is cool.   

With that said would the first two "greatest hits" that you all are referring to be "The Millenium Collection: The Best Of" and "The Best That I Could Do 1978-1988"?     If that's the case then why does "ICON" have the same songs on it from the others?    Are they different versions from one compilation to the other?     
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:34 am »

Thank you for responding and trying to explain to me what the deal is.     

I am familiar with the "ICON" series and I do think it is cool.   

With that said would the first two "greatest hits" that you all are referring to be "The Millenium Collection: The Best Of" and "The Best That I Could Do 1978-1988"?     If that's the case then why does "ICON" have the same songs on it from the others?    Are they different versions from one compilation to the other?     

The versions on ICON are the same as on other/previous greatest hits. I haven't had an in depth conversation with John's manager about the release but my understanding is these days these types of repackagings really help get a title into retail stores due to their ever shrinking music spaces. I am assuming the volume 3 is based on the 2 earlier volumes of GH that Universal/UMe have released, the two you reference. I assume the repeats of tracks have more to do with wanting to get a title that stores will want on the shelves.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
AlexKx
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:48 am »

No, no!    The compilation is great!    The whole title is too...it's the "Volume 3" part that does not make any sense!    This is VERY funny.    I've never seen anyone (a company or even artist for that matter) admit that there are "other compilations out there like this one too"!     Usually you want to try to act like "this is the only place to get these hits altogether" EVEN if that is not so.    I totally understand the reasoning for it all of the way down to what you say...and I think that is great and really cool so please don't mistake what I am saying!     The whole title  "ICON: Nothin' Like I Planned - Greatest Hits" is cool and fine...just the "Volume 3" part lol.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: