John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 06:48:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp Newsletter: Ghost Brothers of Darkland County Album Out Tuesday!  (Read 15017 times)
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:00 pm »

Ghost Brothers Of Darkland County Recording OUT THIS TUESDAY June 4, 2013

After thirteen years of waiting, on Tuesday Mellencamp fans everywhere will finally be able to experience the John Mellencamp, Stephen King and T Bone Burnett Southern Gothic supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County when Hear Music/Concord Music Group releases the all-star recording this week. This  extraordinary collaboration features original music and lyrics plus key dialog  excerpts performed by a stellar cast of guest artists including Elvis Costello,  Rosanne Cash, Sheryl Crow, Neko Case, Taj Mahal, Ryan Bingham and Kris  Kristofferson, along with actors Matthew McConaughey, Samantha Mathis and Meg Ryan. 

ORDER THE SOUNDTRACK:
 Hardcover Edition - The 3-disc (2CD/1DVD) Hardcover Edition contains the musical's songs (with and without dialog excerpts), specially printed libretto, liner notes written by noted journalist Alan Light and the Making of Ghost Brothers mini-documentary DVD, featuring in-depth interviews with King, Mellencamp and Burnett along with the digital libretto and other bonus material. Order on Amazon.com

Deluxe Edition - The 2-disc (1CD/1DVD) Deluxe Edition features the musical's songs with dialog excerpts and the digital libretto, along with bonus video including the Making of Ghost Brothers mini documentary and music only digital download card. Order on Amazon.com

Standard Edition - The Singled Disc (enhanced CD) Standard Edition features the musical's songs, dialog excerpts, digital libretto and music only digital download card. Order on Amazon.com

Apple iBook - The illustrated Digital Book features Stephen King’s penned libretto, as well as, original songs & lyrics written by John Mellencamp with musical direction by T Bone Burnett. The digital book also features excerpts of key dialogue along with interactive video, sound effects and graphics. Order the iBook digital edition - Watch a YouTube preview of the digital book edition.

Digital Album Edition -  The songs from Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will also be available in a music only mp3 format via major online digital music stores including a digital booklet with lyrics.
 - Order on iTunes
 - Order on Amazon.com

What Is The Libretto? libretto (ləbrĕt`ō), noun - 1. the words of a dramatic musical work, including both the spoken and the sung parts. 2. a book or booklet containing such a text.

Complete details about the release are available on our Mellencamp.com Ghost Brothers Mini Site and also at the Official Ghost Brothers website.

Here are some of the most recent updates we have posted:
- Preview the entire album HERE

- Listen to five full songs from the album HERE
- Read the lyrics and album credits HERE
- Watch the video trailer for the album showing the artists involved with clips from several songs HERE

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

GHOST BROTHERS PROMOTIONAL APPEARANCES

John, Stephen and T Bone will be doing an extensive round of media appearances to promote the release of the album. Here are is listing of what they are doing, many of the actual air dates are not 100% confirmed at this time, but we expect most will run this week. Be sure to visit our Mellencamp.com for updates as they develop this week! Please your check local radio and TV listings for the correct date/time in your area.

Monday, June 3rd:
- Apple/iTunes: Meet the Creators Taping (live event at Apple's NY Soho store 6 PM) This event will be broadcast later in the week on iTunes.

Tuesday, June 4th:
MSNBC TV Morning Joe (taped on Monday, should air on Tuesday)
PBS TV Charlie Rose (taping on Tues., air date TBD)
World Cafe NPR Radio (taping on Tues., air date TBD)
 - Acoustic Cafe Syndicated Radio (taping on Tues., air date TBD)

Wednesday, June 5th:

All Things Considered (NPR) Radio (taping on Wed., air date TBD)
CBS TV Late Show with David Letterman (taping and airing Wed.)
Bob & Tom Syndicated Morning Radio (approximately 10am ET, possibly being re-aired later in the week)

Thursday, June 6th:

Comedy Central TV The Colbert Report (taping and airing on Thurs)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County - A Riveting Stage Experience Coming to 20 Midwest & SOUTHEAST Cities Oct-Nov 2013
The southern gothic, supernatural  musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, written by Stephen King, with music  by John Mellencamp and T Bone Burnett, will tour 20 American  cities throughout the Midwest and Southeast beginning October 10 in Bloomington,  IN, and ending November 6 in Grand Rapids, MI. Tickets are on sale now at aeglive.com. This extraordinary collaboration, 13 years in the  making, is a haunting tale of fraternal love, lust, jealousy and revenge, which  will be performed by an ensemble cast of 15 actors and a four-piece live band that includes Mellencamp band members Andy York, Troye Kinnett and Dane Clark. The album of the musical will be released on June 4 via Hear Music and the  Concord Music Group.

As the story emerged during the writing of the musical, it became clear to the  collaborators that Ghost Brothers had taken them into unfamiliar territory — and  they liked it that way. "John can make rock & roll records and I can write books  for the rest of our lives," says King, "but that's the safe way to do it, and  that's no way to live if you want to stay creative. We were willing to be  educated, and at our age, that's an accomplishment."

Putting King's words and Mellencamp's songs on the stage is in the skilful  hands of acclaimed director Susan Booth, who calls the musical a "a kind of new  age travelling medicine show." "This is a gothic story-driven rock concert," says Booth. "I want the emphasis to be on this fantastic score and our great singers and how the story advances us from song to song. In most musicals, the songs advance the narrative. With Ghost Brothers, the story will advance the songs."  Read the complete press release on  Mellencamp.com. Check out the Fall tour commercial on YouTube.

The complete Ghost Brothers of Darkland County tour itinerary is below:
October
 10 – Bloomington, IN – Indiana University Auditorium
 11 – Louisville, KY – Whitney Hall
 12 – Knoxville, TN – Knoxville Civic Auditorium
 13 – Asheville, NC – Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
 16 – Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
 17 – Evansville, IN – Aiken Theatre at The Centre
 18 – Indianapolis, IN – Clowes Memorial Hall
 19 – Akron, OH – Akron Civic Theatre
 22 – Columbus, OH – Palace Theatre
 24 – Ft. Wayne, IN – Embassy Theatre
 25 – Madison, WI – Overture Hall
 26 – Rockford, IL – Coronado Performing Arts Center
 27 – Appleton, WI – Fox Cities Performing Arts Center
 29 – Milwaukee, WI – Riverside Theatre
 31 – Minneapolis, MN – State Theatre
November
 1 – Sioux City, IA – Orpheum Theatre
 2 – Ames, IA – Stephens Auditorium
 3 – Davenport, IA – Adler Theatre
 5 – South Bend, IN – Morris Performing Arts Center
 6 – Grand Rapids, MI – DeVos Performance Hall

NEW YORK CITY'S 92Y DISCUSSION SERIES: JOHN MELLENCAMP WITH ALLEN GRUBMAN

Allen Grubman, the leading light in music entertainment law, is hosting a discussion series at New York City's 92nd Street Y where he's joined by some of illustrious and fascinating friends to talk about life, business and the world-at-large. John sits down with his friend Allen on June 4 at 8:15 PM. Tickets to attend this intimate evening are now available on the 92Y site. If you have a question you'd like John to answer please submit it on the 92Y site using the link above. It may be used that night during the discussion.

NOW AIRING ON PBS: WOODY GUTHRIE AT 100! LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER + CD/DVD RELAEASE

This new CD/DVD commemorative package featuring a 12-page booklet containing rare photographs and a personal note from Woody's daughter, Nora captures the historic all-star concert staged in his honor last October in Washington, DC. The CD/DVD includes John's three performances: his solo "Do Re Mi," and his joining the entire roster of artists for "This Train Is Bound For Glory" and "This Land Is Your Land." The set will be available June 11, 2013 through Legacy Recordings.

The release coincides with the televised premiere of WOODY GUTHRIE AT 100! LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER which began on June 1 on PBS. Check your local listings for when the special airs on your local PBS channel. Head to Mellencamp.com for the complete press release, the track listings and a video of all the performers singing "This Land Is Your Land" from the event finale.

Thank you for your continued support!!

TonyB & SharonC - The Mellencamp.com Web Team - [email protected]
shakeyjrc
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:49:34 am »

Tony/Sharon;

I know the standard cd edition/cd/dvd edition of Ghost Brothers Of Darkland County included a digital download card of the music only in mp3. I wish that they had included a high resolution download of the album with the hardcover special edition. Since I now need to spend $18 to buy the 96khz 24bit high resolution version on HDtracks.com.

mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »

Got my copy of the CD and DVD today at lunchtime!!!  Popped it into my car stereo on the way back to work....Heard first two 1/2 songs!!!  Pretty awesome!!!!!!!!!!  The 'casting' on the songs is perfect!!  Elvis Costello in "That's Me" is great!  And the song is cool, too....contains John's quirky humor.

Can't wait til 5:00......

"-somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mary in Michigan
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »

So I've heard the whole CD now...pretty nice!!  Listening to it for the second time now and I think I'm picturing the play...understanding the story a little bit better.  Anyone else have any comments?!  You may notice familiar "lines" or thoughts from other JM songs...(fueding brothers).  You may notice tunes that are also a bit familiar.

I am really enjoying this...cant' wait for the play!

Mary in Michigan
dusty947
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:57 am »

I have played this over and over and have not got tired of it.  It is a masterpiece.  I love the songs and the concept of the play.  I will see the play on Halloween at the State Theater in Minneapolis.  Can't Wait!  Yes Mary, you can definitely hear the Mellenmagic in the songs and the lyrics are so familiar.  AND.... If you buy the Cd you get a free download of just the songs.  Nice gift. 
NewYorker
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:08:02 am »

.  It is a masterpiece.  

Certainly not an overstatement in my opinion. Amazing.
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:13 am »

THAT'S the word....masterpiece!

The two songs that stick in my head right now are "So Goddamn Smart" and "Truth".  But I also love "That's Me" by Elvis Costello....great characterization!!!

And if you are like me and "overthink" every creation Mellencamp...you will learn many lessons as you repeat this performance.

Masterpiece!!!

Mary in Michigan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: