John Mellencamp Community
April 18, 2024, 08:05:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Just Gonna ASK, because I care. Is John Ill?  (Read 10906 times)
sweendog67
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »

Maybe it's none of my business and though I don't know john personally he shares his soul with me, us, his audience through his art. "No Better Than This" is by far in my opinion, his best album to date. It's honesty in John finally becoming true to himself, his every man struggles with faith and perception. The nonsense of life and our failure to fix it. I've seen John preform well over 80 times between 1984 to the present and through those concerts, interviews, and his lyrics, I know John is a man I could easily see myself sharing a beer with. OH, My question??? I saw John play at Farm Aid last night in Hershey, Pa. Just under 2 hours south from my home. Johns voice was a off and that in itself is forgiving but there was more to it. He was pale and would wipe spit into a bandanna from time to time. John, if you are sick, I'm sorry and I hope you get well. If it's your battle to fight or not is your decision alone.  In my time I hope to go out on my terms as well. Either way, your always in my prayers and your music has meant so much to me, my family and friends for YEARS. No Better Than This shows where wisdom and knowledge meet and the questions a man must face from that perspective as well.... Feel Better my Friend.
mtotch123
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

I saw/heard John last year at Farm Aid and attended a concert once more after that.  His voice was bad both times.  Occasionally it would come back to the sound we're used to, but not often.  I'm not sure if he's trying some new style or if his voice is starting to go.  The spitting into the bandana doesn't sound like a good thing.  I'm sure the smoking over the years hasn't helped...as people have said.  I'm not at all fond of this "new voice".  I am going to listen to the download from Farm Aid and see how that sounds.  But I too, am worried....not necessarily that he's sick but that we're losing him....

"-Somedays I still don't know what to do-"
Mary in Michigan
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »

There are lots of 2112FA vids on Youtube and I saw no spitting in Bandanas, nor does  he look pale Roll Eyes.  He looked like he was having a good time and looked good.  As for his voice ... obviously decades and decades of Cigarette smoking have affected his voice.

He has multiple projects going on now so its safe to say he still has lots of energy, Grin  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:13:19 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:29:36 pm »

i have notice john going down hill the last couple of years. his health doesnt look all that great. when one gets up in our age bracket and of course smokes changes come. coughing and spitting is normal for someone who smokes. the changes in voice is normal due to smoking too. i dont think its something john is trying to change, but that it just comes along with the territory of being a smoker and he is doing the best he can with the voice he has right now. i can talk from experience. i too smoke and have for as many years as probably john. and before anyone gets on their high horse and wants to reply to this post, people like john and me dont need to hear how bad it is and blah blah blah. we already know. and if john or i choose to keep smoking then thats our choice.
and it is also safe to say that john working on multiple projects could wear him down too, by spreading himself to thin and other things he shouldnt of done.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:32:18 pm »

My personal opinion is that John has a lot on his plate. Since last year he has finalized his divorce to his wife, he has been on a four leg tour  last year and then a tour in Canada this year. His sweet mother had just passed away in January of this year, His son Hud has started his first year of college and believe me the first year is tuff, traveling to see him sending him things he will need.  My son is on his second year so I can say this. His been on a roller coaster ride with the Ghost Brothers project in Atlanta and now fighting to keep it going in NYC. Not to mentioned receiving well deserved awards and performing there too. He also has done charity events and helping fight for our farmers with Farm Aid. He also had an art exhibit in Tennessee this year too. Then some how try to spend time with his family, wow I am tired just thinking about it.
He is probably tired, I think there other projects we don't even know about yet. I think John is being detoured away from what he loves to do, which is writing songs and painting. I hope he just decides to stop letting unimportant things prevent him from his destiny which is writing and painting about the "human condition" I personally can't wait for the next album and I hope it's rock album like he said. I also wish the best of luck to Hud on his first year.

love ya John  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:23:57 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
Maradona10
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

I hope he just decides to stop letting unimportant things prevent him from his destiny which is writing and painting about the "human condition" I personally can't wait for the next album and I hope it's rock album like he said.

Did he say the next record as gonna be rock'n'roll? I missed that I guess. Cool.
valeree
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:36 am »

i too worried about john when he was in Ottawa last July /2012 but now a year later he looks pretty good  life it can knock it out of you sometimes  love ya johnny always

i love johnny with a passion  i hope he tours every year and makes everybody happy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: