John Mellencamp Community
April 18, 2024, 04:50:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steinbeck Show Review  (Read 5589 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:11 am »

Review: Mellencamp delights fans at Steinbeck show

By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune

John Mellencamp likes to shoot from the hip.

He's honest, observant and unafraid -- which goes a long way to explaining why he's such a terrific songwriter. Those same qualities, however, could make him a bit of a wild card during a Q&A session in front of a live audience.

Thus, before he started fielding questions on Monday night in San Jose, Mellencamp thought he'd better first caution the crowd.

"I think it only fair to say I come with a warning," the 60-year-old singer-songwriter said right after taking the stage at the lovely California Theatre. "So just be aware of that."

Mellencamp continues to be a breath of fresh air in an industry otherwise consumed by political correctness, where watching what you tweet seems at least as important as writing what you know. That factor is one of the main reasons why he's such a deserving recipient of the 2012 John Steinbeck Award.

He came to town to receive the prestigious honor, which is also known as "In the Souls of the People" Award, from the Martha Heasley Cox Center for Steinbeck Studies at San Jose State University. The award presentation also included a Q&A session, moderated Robert Santelli of the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, and a short seven-song concert, featuring Mellencamp and his six-piece band.

The whole package was a treat. The Q&A, which basically came across as a conversation between Mellencamp and Santelli, was insightful. The mini-concert that followed was well-rehearsed and fun, focusing mainly on greatest-hits material. Both parts of the program helped to explain why Mellencamp was chosen to receive this honor, previously bestowed on three other musicians -- Bruce Springsteen (1996), Jackson Browne (2002) and Joan Baez (2003) -- as well as actor Sean Penn, director Michael Moore, author Studs Terkel and other well-known figures.

The award is handed out to -- and I quote from the Center for Steinbeck Studies -- "writers, artists, thinkers, and activists whose work captures the spirit of Steinbeck's empathy, commitment to democratic values, and belief in the dignity of people who by circumstance are pushed to the fringes."

Yeah, that fits Mellencamp.

Having got his start in the mid-'70s as a rock-pop idol -- who sang cover songs and went by the manufactured name of Johnny Cougar -- Mellencamp dramatically matured as an artist over the years and went on to champion many of the causes associated with Steinbeck, including, most famously, the plight of the American farmer. He's stuck up for the downtrodden, challenged "The Man" and constantly fought the good fight.

Bravo.

The most interesting topic, of the many explored during the Q&A, was the songwriting process. It was intriguing to learn that Mellencamp does not consider himself an autobiographical songwriter.

"As I said to my girlfriend the other day, 'You know that when I say 'I,' I'm not talking about me," Mellencamp said. "I never write about myself."

Ironically, he doesn't take full credit for his best tunes. Instead, he thinks of himself simply a conduit — a human vessel that songs pass through on their way to the page — and sometimes it takes him a while to understand just what he's written.

"There have been songs that I've written in five minutes that, 20 years later, I'm like, 'Oh, I get it!'" he said.

After the Q&A, Mellencamp finally gave the fans what they'd been waiting for -- a live concert. He strapped on his guitar and joined his six-piece band onstage for a pumped-up run through many of his best-known songs, including "Rain on the Scarecrow," "Pink Houses" and "Crumblin' Down."

The legacy of Steinbeck colors those songs, as it does so much of Mellencamp's catalog. Now, thanks to the Center for Steinbeck Studies, the two Johns are forever linked.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_21197898/review-mellencamp-delights-fans-at-steinbeck-show

Here are our top 10 John Mellencamp songs:

1.          "Rain on the Scarecrow" — The haunting title track of Mellencamp's best album addresses the plight of the modern-day farmer.

2.          "Jack & Diane" — A poignant portrait of young love in a small town.

3.          "Pink Houses" — The imagery in the song is among Mellencamp's most memorable.

4.          "Crumblin' Down" — Search out the video for this terrific rock anthem.

5.          "Lonely Ol' Night" — One of his best country-rockers.

6.          "Authority Song" — A guilty pleasure, which always sounds better at maximum volume

7.          "Paper in Fire" — Urgent vocals and driving rhythm make this a keeper.

8.          "I Need a Lover" — See "Authority Song"

9.          "Serious Business" — Intriguing lyrics, sung with conviction, show "John Cougar" maturing into Mellencamp.

10.          "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. (A Salute to '60s Rock)" — Mellencamp at his most fun.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_21197907/top-10-john-mellencamp-songs-all-time?source=pkg
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »

Congrats John! You definately deserve it. Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:04:48 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »

hopefully there is some pics/video etc. Acceptance speech text
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:11:01 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged