John Mellencamp Community
May 02, 2024, 11:51:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anticipation building for Mellencamp concert  (Read 4255 times)
sharonc
Administrator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:32 am »

http://www.journalpioneer.com/News/Local/2012-06-27/article-3018606/Anticipation-building-for-Mellencamp-concert/1

Anticipation building for Mellencamp concert

SUMMERSIDE – Ron Crozier has every one of John Mellencamp's recordings, some in all three formats – CDs, cassettes and vinyl.
But there's one item in his musical collection that's not directly related to the American singer: His personal Yamaha acoustic guitar.
The Kensington native hopes to change that at Mellencamp's July 30 concert at Summerside's Credit Union Place.
"My secret plan is, I'm desperately trying to get the old guitar that I played back in the eighties backstage for (Mellencamp) to sign," Crozier said.
"If he only knew the literally thousands of Mellencamp songs that would've been played on the guitar. Just to have his signature on it and know that he was holding the same guitar that I played 'Jack and Diane' on so many times, would mean the world."
Needless to say, Crozier's knowledge of the singer's library is extensive.
He last saw the Grammy winner in concert back in 1987 in Ottawa and, like about 5,000 others, is eagerly anticipating the Summerside performance.
Tickets are still available for the concert, but CUP staff anticipates the remaining seats to sell fast.
The performance takes place on a Canada Day weekend that also falls in the middle of the popular five-day motorcycle festival Atlanticade, which is expected to draw more than 9,000 into Summerside.
"I would suggest to people who are interested in going to the show that they don't delay. With a large contingent of bikers converging on Summerside in the next couple days, I'm assuming there's going to be a strong demand (for tickets)," said the city's event development officer, JP Desrosiers. "We're going to be looking at security for the parking area. Parking's obviously going to be a bit of a challenge with the Atlanticade people around, and the four or five thousand people coming to the concert."
"If he only knew the literally thousands of Mellencamp songs that would've been played on the guitar. Just to have his signature on it and know that he was holding the same guitar that I played 'Jack and Diane' on so many times, would mean the world." - Ron Crozier
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. for the concert, and CUP staff advises attendees to show up a short time after that to avoid traffic hassles.
Not that it matters to Mellencamp superfans like Crozier, who were first in line to purchase tickets months in advance.
Crozier said Mellencamp has stripped down in music in recent years, and he is interested to see how the more traditional flavour translates to the stage, nearly 25 years after he last saw the singer live.
"At that time, no one was making more honest, real, straight-ahead rock and roll music that was being played on the radio," Crozier recalled. "Through the years... he really has taken people on a really interesting journey with his music. Right now, no one in the world is making better roots music than John Mellencamp, and who would've thought that in 1982?"
[email protected]
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: