John Mellencamp Community
March 19, 2024, 02:59:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Better Than This Prince George  (Read 289260 times)
aggiebaby
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:44 am »

John Mellancamp is my favorite in the whole world, therefore I was looking for ward to an encore and two of my favorite songs, which are Hand to Hold on to and China Girl. He did neither and I was wondering why? Other than that, the concert was super! I love you John!
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:29 pm »

Not sure why you would think he'd play "China Girl" -- it was never a hit and it's a song he didn't even write. While "Hand to Hold Onto" was a hit, it's far from a great song with nursery-rhyme lyrics like "Go to work and be a Hollywood stud/Drive your 4-wheel drive right into the mud." John would never write anything like that today, and therefore, he steers clears of playing songs like this live. "Hand to Hold Onto" hasn't been played live since the Lonesome Jubilee tour 25 years ago, and even then he didn't play the entire song, just the first verse and chorus. It was done in gospel style. It's clear John doesn't like the song all that much. 
maryjohnson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »

Hand to hold onto, not a great written song, but Aint Even Done with the Night certainly is, and he never plays that neither. Loved Abbotsford show, surprised he never played Jackie Brown?
marianne123
Global Moderator
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »

On this tour that never ends (yeah!),  I've seen him in Lowell, MA, Boston Ma,  Radio city Music Hall (both nights) and now we leave tomorrow for the 5 hour drive to P E I and then on to Monction. I never leave disappointed, I feel like he plays and plays and sometimes I am left wanting one particular song I didn't get, but mostly he always hits the spot with what he plays.  I'm so excited for this weekend, I want to leave NOW!

-Marianne
littlebastard
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:13 am »

It comes down to numbers. With the number of hits John has recorded over the years. It's impossible to play all the hits in a two-hour show let alone some of the more obscure songs. He is playing a great deal of the new songs off of NBTT (at least he was in the States). That cuts down on the number of remaining songs that can be played. I think it would be a challenge to come up with a set list. Someone is always going to be disappointed that something wasn't played.

I'm a big fan of "Pop Singer", "Play Guitar" and "Get A Leg Up" live, but I understand why he doesn't play those live.

Suck it up and tough it out and be the best you can.
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

i have been to prince george, and anybody who lives in that area of BC is damn lucky. i remember the 7 sisters mountain, mckenzie river and etc. beautiful country. i bet john and the band had a great time in your neck of the woods and hope they took up some of the scenery. if they didnt, they missed out on a whole bunch.

in the old concerts that i have seen john perform, no he didnt  please everybody either, but still the performances were wild!!!!!
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »

He is playing a great deal of the new songs off of NBTT

Like some of the moderators mentioned. he is only playing one song off NBTT, . But many seem to enjoy him playing the oldies. Grin
chrisingle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:28 pm »

He is playing a great deal of the new songs off of NBTT

Like some of the moderators mentioned. he is only playing one song off NBTT, . But many seem to enjoy him playing the oldies. Grin

Indeed ! I do love him more when he plays those oldies songs. But the new songs off of NBTT are also very good.

faire part helps you creating your photo book.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: