John Mellencamp Community
April 25, 2024, 11:09:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JM and Donovan to Duet at Rock Hall Ceremony  (Read 11156 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:27:12 pm »

No word yet on if other members of Guns N’ Roses will perform without Axl Rose at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions. But more details about the ceremony were announced today.

The Faces and the Red Hot Chili Peppers will perform. Donovan will perform with his presenter, John Mellencamp. And LL Cool J will join presenter Chuck D in inducting the Beastie Boys.

Also, Darlene Love will perform in honor of Don Kirshner. And ZZ Top members Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill will be joined by Joe Bonamassa for a performance in honor of Freddie King.

http://www.cleveland.com/rockhall/index.ssf/2012/04/faces_and_red_hot_chili_pepper.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

so cool!!
geegee
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:48:24 pm »

dont know why they had to take so long with inducting donovan. come on now. hes been around since creation. as far as G&R without axl rose, good luck, he is the man of the band
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:03:01 pm »

I found this on twitter. Sounds like JM is in free spirit mode these days. Love it!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/donovan-chili-peppers-rock-hall.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PopHiss+%28Pop+%26+Hiss+Music+Blog%29

John Mellencamp took a good-natured poke at the Red Hot Chili Peppers while giving his introduction to inductee Donovan.

Reading from the liner notes on the back of the first record he bought at age 14, Mellancamp invoked the word "ungimmicked," used in those notes to describe the Scottish singer-songwriter.

Mellencamp paused and said, "You know what a gimmick is, right? Like when you wear your hair all puffed up, cuss a lot onstage and maybe come out wearing socks," referencing the Chili Peppers' famed stunt years ago when the group would show up for a performance with only socks covering their private parts. "I'm just kidding!" Mellencamp added.

Donovan then recited a poem he said the honor inspired, calling his induction "a singular honor ... the brightest searchlight on my music the world can shine."

Mellencamp, who brought Donovan on tour with him in 2005, joined him for "Season of the Witch," the  final number of his three-song set that also included signature hits "Catch the Wind" and "Sunshine Superman."

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:32:18 pm »

More from twitter RE: Rock and Roll HOF Museum induction ceremony:

luvlyreada ‏ @luvlyreada
Mellencamp is a riot inducting "the guy he stole a lot of shit from" - Donovan.

Chip Latham ‏ @chiplatham
Paul Shaffer, JC Mellencamp and Donovan...on stage...cool

Outer Focus Photos ‏ @OuterFocusPhoto
John Mellencamp singing ”Season of the Witch” with his idol Donovan. This must be a dream come true for Mellancamp. @rock_hall @examinercom

Amanda Rabinowitz ‏ @a_rabinowitz 
Donovan now folking out on stage with Mellencamp playing "Season of the Witch" #RockHall2012

Mark Meszoros ‏

#rockhall2012 Liked this from Mellencamp when introducing Donovan: “The further we get away from the original, the worse it gets....

Heather E. Carpenter
 John Mellencamp inducting Donovan. Mellancamp is hilarious! #RRHOF

RachelTeron5

I wonder who's going to step on the gum Mellencamp just tossed on the stage in mid-speech. #rockhall2012

Sarah Rodman

Mellencamp calls Donovan one of the "original originals" and he gets a nice ovation from the crowd.

Brian Ives ‏
Mellencamp points out Donovan + producer Mickie Most were an incredible collaborative team. truth. Most did lots of great LPs #rockhall2012

Michael Norman

John Mellencamp inducting Donovan into #rockhall2012. Jokes that he stole most of his early
material from him.

Kevin McClister ‏
John Mellencamp is pretty f*cking cool.

Sarah Rodman
Mellencamp recalls meeting Donovan during a fistfight with one of his bandmates. He paused mid-punch to profess his love.

Sarah Rodman ‏
Mellencamp is killing reading the liner notes from the back of his own copy of a Donovan album from 1965.

BeastieBombShell ‏
JOHN MELLENCAMP is on stage cursing up a storm. Hes inducting Donovan. Hes so funny

Pamela Gant ‏
John Mellencamp comes to the stage full rock star style. Smoking a heater. Mother effing everything. Aces. #rockhall2012

Brian Ives
John Mellencamp: I thought Donovan was going to kill me cause I stole so much of his sh*t! #rockhall2012

Chris DeVille ‏
Mellencamp: "I bought my first Donovan record in 1965. I was in the seventh grade." #rockhall2012

BarbaraSandon Norris
#RockHall2012 OK Mellencamp flippin hot for a 60 year old. HOT I say!

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »

Love the last comment.
He is flippin hot! Well said.

Hope its on Youtube  Grin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:05:36 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
mellenq
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:35:01 am »

Kevin McClister ‏
John Mellencamp is pretty f*cking cool.

Uh huh....!   we already knew that, right?  Wink

only promises I know to be true, are the promises made from the heart. ~MQDU~
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:04 am »

If there is truth in this statement (remember "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"), I find it hilarious, almost like a scene in a movie. It describes John's youth, as it's been relayed to us over the years, to a "T."

Sarah Rodman ‏
Mellencamp recalls meeting Donovan during a fistfight with one of his bandmates. He paused mid-punch to profess his love.

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: