John Mellencamp Community
March 29, 2024, 02:52:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JM to Induct Donovan into Rock Hall of Fame  (Read 8945 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:23:34 pm »

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members John Mellencamp, Smokey Robinson, Carole King, Robbie Robertson and ZZ Top's Billy F. Gibbons and Dusty Hill will be among the presenters for this year's 27th annual induction ceremony, which takes place on April 14 in Cleveland.

They'll be joined by the likes of Public Enemy's Chuck D, who will induct the Beastie Boys, Steven Van Zandt for the Small Faces/Faces, comedian Chris Rock for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bette Midler for Laura Nyro. Mellencamp will do the honors for Donovan, Gibbons and Hill for Freddie King, King for her onetime Brill Building employer Don Kirshner, Robertson for producers Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and Cosimo Matassa, and Robinson for his Motown group the Miracles along with Gene Vincent's Blue Caps, Bill Haley's Comets, Buddy Holly's Crickets, James Brown's Famous Flames and Hank Ballard's Midnighters.

A presenter for Guns N' Roses, meanwhile, is still being finalized and will be announced soon.

Donovan tells Billboard.com that Mellencamp is "my dear friend of recent years," and that he'll be joined in his Rock Hall induction performance by My Morning Jacket's Jim James. He's also pleased to be entering the Hall with "a lot of my pals, it would seem;" the Beasties, he notes, are "family" since his daughter Ione Skye Leitch was once married to the group's Adam Horovitz, while he was a 60s contemporary of the Small Faces and, later, the Faces and has also worked with the Chili Peppers in the past.

"My music translates again and again to younger generations of players because I broke all the rules, and they can break all the rules now, too," Donovan says. "(The induction) focuses on the work, and I love that because it will encourage lots of singer-songwriters to try to excel and get on with it and to experiment like I did. So it's a great honor for a songwriter and a performer, but the spotlight it will bring to my work and, in turn, influencing young artists in the future, that's more exciting to me.

Donovan's work will be compiled in "The Essential Donovan," which comes out April 17. His song "The Trip," meanwhile, is being used as the end-credit theme for the new documentary "Sunset Strip," which was co-produced by his son Donovan Leitch.

The Rock Hall induction ceremony will be broadcast by HBO, debuting at 9 p.m. EST/PST on May 5.

http://www.billboard.com/news/rock-hall-presenters-john-mellencamp-carole-1006512352.story#/news/rock-hall-presenters-john-mellencamp-carole-1006512352.story
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:37 am »

This is really exciting.  The tour with Donovan was one of my favorites.  I still laugh to think of me and Rockchucker in the front row reliving the 60's with our arms waving back and forth during Atlantis!!!  Good times for sure!
mellenq
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

Too cool. Cool

Donovan's daughter also has history with  Red Hot Chili Peppers front man Anthony Keidis so it probably will be like having his family there.  Roll Eyes

And if you want a good read, get hold of Keidis' biography "Scar Tissue".......I couldn't put it down.  Grin

only promises I know to be true, are the promises made from the heart. ~MQDU~
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »

That is awesome! I bet John must be excited to be a presenter for Donovan.  Grin
mellenhead95
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:13 pm »

John's the perfect guy to induct Donovan. Maybe they'll sing Sunshine Superman together at this show as well.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:08:31 am »

Dang dont get HBO!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: