John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 10:43:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John's Mom Passes Away  (Read 42441 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:32 pm »

Mother of Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famer John Mellencamp had died
January 31, 2012

The mother of Rock ’n Roll Hall of Famer John Mellencamp has died.

Marilyn J. Mellencamp, 83, Seymour, died Monday at Covered Bridge Health Campus.

A Lawrenceburg native, Mellencamp was a longtime Seymour resident. She was married to Richard L. Mellencamp, who survives.

She had worked many years as a rural mail carrier in Jackson County.

Besides her husband, she is survived by her children, Joe N. Mellencamp, John J. Mellencamp, Ted E. Mellencamp, Janet L. Kiel and Laura A. Hackman.

Below is the obituary:

Mrs. Marilyn J. Mellencamp, 83, of Seymour, passed away January 31, 2012 at Covered Bridge Health Campus in Seymour.

Born Sept. 7, 1928, in Lawrenceburg, she was the daughter of Joseph and Bessie (Lowry) Lowe.

On Oct. 23, 1950, in Indianapolis, she married Richard L. Mellencamp, who survives.

Mrs. Mellencamp was a member of Seymour First Church of the Nazarene. She was a homemaker.

Besides her husband, Richard, she is survived by her children, Joe N. (Lynn) Mellencamp, John J. Mellencamp, Ted E. (Debbie) Mellencamp, Janet L. (Todd) Kiel, Laura A. (Mark) Hackman, grandchildren, Ian Mellencamp, John Michael Mellencamp, Carly Mellencamp, Michelle Mellencamp, Teddi Jo (Edwin) Arroyave, Justice Mellencamp, Hud Mellencamp, Speck Mellencamp, Mandy (Eric) Wessel, Melissa (Troy) Stiller, Eric (Sulivan) Mellencamp, Casey (Amber) Mellencamp, Jamie (Jami) Kiel, Justin Kiel, Laura Jo Kiel, Jordan (Reggie) Kiel, Leigh Kiel, Luke (Cassie) Hackman, and 13 great grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her parents, brother, Charles Lowe, and sister, Lois Panzi.

Memorials may be written to Southern Indiana Center for the Arts.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:03:16 pm by TonyBClubManager » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »

Condolences to the family.  Cry
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »

John, I am deeply sorry about your mom. I will say a prayer for you and your family. Cry
fourloops
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

This is very sad, indeed.  Met John's mom at SICA several years ago - a totally charming and poised individual. And loved her paintings of landscapes.  Wow, had she been sick?  She always appeared so together and healthy.  Our prayers are with John and his family.
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:01 pm »

She was very gracious and honest in the interview clips they used of her on John's "Behind The Music" program.  A very endearing lady.  To raise a big family -- especially the difficulty of raising some of those kids! -- during the 60s (that crazy decade) -- shows that she deserves accolades regardless of the worldly success her famous son brought to the family.  I love that, given John's great dislike of the "Cougar" handle in his early years, his Mom insisted "I thought the name suited him"!  And when he insisted on going to New York to be discovered, she said: "Let him get a few doors shut in his face, let him get it out of his system."  She understood the odds against him, in the earliest days. .  A loving, independent-thinking, honest, and remarkable lady.  She will be missed
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »

john this is very sad news.  im still fortunate to have my mom.  she will be the ripe old age of 95 in april.  however, i am already starting a grieving process as i know one day she wont be with me either.  i try to spend as much time as possible with her.  this song i picked to have played when the time comes.  and i wana share it with you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oR6okRuOLc8

what captured me in the video is the very beginning before the song was being sung what was said. 

and yes me and my prayer partners are still praying for you

keep the faith / peace & love

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:00 pm »

So well put...
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »

http://www.tribtown.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=34716

The Tribtown had a similar write up about John's mom, but has a real nice photo of her.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »

The Indy Star had a nice article too. Cry

Marilyn J. (Lowe) Mellencamp, the mother of singer/songwriter John Mellencamp, died Monday at Covered Bridge Hospital in Seymour. The Seymour-native was 83.

Born Sept 7. 1928, in Lawrenceburg, Ind., Mellencamp married Richard L. Mellencamp Oct. 23, 1950, in Indianapolis. The homemaker and mother of five is survived by her husband, all of her children, 18 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren, according to information in an obituary from The Jackson County Banner website.

Memorials may be sent to the Southern Indiana Center for the Arts, 2001 N. Ewing St., Seymour, IN 47274.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120201/ENTERTAINMENT/202010381/Mother-of-Rock-n-Roll-Hall-of-Famer-John-Mellencamp-has-died?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:01:58 am by TonyBClubManager » Logged
mellenq
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:20 am »

Love and sympathy to the Mellencamp family.

God Bless you all.

only promises I know to be true, are the promises made from the heart. ~MQDU~
Alex1974
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »

My condolences ... John and his family will be in our prayers.
oberturn
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:35 pm »

It is so diffucult to deal with one of your parents or grandparents passing away, my heart and prayers go out to the Mellencamp family.  I did not get the opportunity to meet Marilyn personally but it is easy to see what an incredible, talented woman she was.  John's music helped me through the grief I experienced and gave me some peace when my dad passed away from Parkinsons disease.  I hope music will help him through it too.

There is a time to cry and a time to get with it.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:47:38 pm »

No doubt many came together today to remember this amazing woman. Very Loved.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:01:09 am by Mellenfan71 » Logged
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

John, When my dad passed away last year from Congestive Heart Failure, he was also 83. It's still very hard for me, but at my dad's funeral they played this song. It was comforting to me and it let me know he was in a better place.

I dedicate this same song to you, in memory of your mom.
God Bless
Sheila

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcxOkht8w7c
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:59:07 pm »

My dad passed away when I was 15 years old.  That was 37 years ago.  He's always with me in spirit.  I'm fortunate that I still have my mother.  She is now 88 years old. (I'm 51 years old)

My thoughts are with John and his family.

Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: