John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 04:07:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Ghost Brothers" CD Set Drops May 22  (Read 19281 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:50:10 am »

The long-awaited Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, a dramatic "roots musical" collaboration between novelist Stephen King and veteran performer John Mellencamp, will finally be launched this spring via a theatrical run in Atlanta beginning April 4 and the release of a star-studded studio concept album on May 22. In the works for a decade, King originally penned the story while Mellencamp joined up to write the music and lyrics. Both projects are produced with the input of producer T-Bone Burnett -- who described the sound as "dark, foggy...and scary".

The conceptual studio album released via Hear Music in both a single disc and 3-CD deluxe version, will feature spoken word readings and music. Elvis Costello, Rosanne Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Sheryl Crow, Taj Mahal and Neko Case taking are among those taking the singing roles, while Matthew McConaughey, Meg Ryan, former boxer Joe Frazier and Costello doing the reading. "It sounds like the 'Sgt. Pepper' of Americana to me," says Mellencamp, adding that the goal was to make the recording sound something like "an old radio play" complete with dialogue and sound effects. Other musicians contributing to the project include Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Will Dailey and Mellencamp himself.

The deluxe three-disc set of Ghost Brothers will offer two discs of music and dialogue and a third disc of just the music. A full booklet of text will also be included.

"So many people are involved, it’s taken a long time," says Mellencamp. "But we don’t have to worry about money or record companies – it’s our own money we’re putting into it, so we said, let’s just make something beautiful."

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2012/1/28/john-mellencamp-and-stephen-kings-ghost-brothers-gets-spring.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:13:12 am by walktall2010 » Logged
Alex1974
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:36:43 am »

This is absolutely brilliant news!  I will look forward to purchasing the CD and hope that the show might come to the UK!
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

I plan on getting the cd. The show is too far to go see for me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:00:21 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »

"
It sounds like the 'Sgt. Pepper' of Americana to me," says Mellencamp, adding that the goal was to make the recording sound something like "an old radio play" complete with dialogue and sound effects. Other musicians contributing to the project include Dave Alvin, Phil Alvin, Will Dailey and Mellencamp himself

Sounds incredible.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

walktall, Is this on pre -order anywhere?
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 03:15:38 pm »

No, but I just found the article and linked to it, I don't have any inside knowledge. Tony may be able to offer a timetable of some sort. 
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »

No, but I just found the article and linked to it, I don't have any inside knowledge. Tony may be able to offer a timetable of some sort. 

Thanks!'
Sooooooo looking forward to this CD.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:55 am »

There still is no firm release date, it's still coming together but it's look like late Spring or Summer.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:03:39 am »

Here's a little blurb I found on the CD -- it looks like a press release has been drawn up, so I'd say we could expect some news soon:

The Alvin brothers are even set to turn up together again on the forthcoming soundtrack to “The Ghost Brothers of Darkland County,” a new musical penned by author Stephen King that features music written by John Mellencamp. A three-CD recording of the production, which is scheduled to open onstage in Atlanta this spring, includes a roster of performers that reads like a who’s who of Americana music. Produced by T. Bone Burnett, the album features contributions from Rosanne Cash, Kris Kristofferson, John Mellencamp and Neko Case, among countless others.

“Somebody showed me a press release, and it’s pretty funny. There are like eight paragraphs, and then at the very bottom of the last paragraph it says, ‘Also appearing are Dave Alvin and Phil Alvin,’” said Alvin, and laughed. “It’s like it’s this big all-star thing, and then there’s us.”

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/music/for-songwriter-dave-alvin-folk-music-is-poor-people-s/article_e9f311dd-dcb9-5e15-b3c5-827e6b691c6f.html?mode=story#ixzz1nh1HIRD0
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:26 pm »

That's pretty cool. Can't wait to hear more! Grin
Rhonda2
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

I understand from this recent interview with Stephen King the actual play differs now from the version that was recorded in 2010. Any idea if that will influence the release?
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:54 pm »

so I'd say we could expect some news soon:

Encouraging. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: