John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 10:39:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John singing at Ali's 70th birthday  (Read 17015 times)
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:00:47 pm »

this is so cool that john gets to be part of ali's birthday. i remember when ali first started his boxing career. i think its a great honor that john gets to do this. does anyone know what song or songs he mite sing?

yes john me and my prayer partners are still praying for you.

keep the faith / peace & love

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 10:02:25 am »

I picked " Take Some To Dream" since the center is about inspiration to others. Then I believe John will find if Ali has a favorite of his and play that.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

"Take Some To Dream" is definitely a great choice.  "Longest Days" would also be a terrific choice as would "Minutes To Memories".

Mike
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »

I think I read he sang "Small town".
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:43:24 pm »

I saw a youtube videos showing John singing
"Take some time to Dream" and "Small Town" newer verson. Not the best quality but here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkonLvPybA&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:45:47 pm by sheilafarmer » Logged
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:26:28 pm »

these are some great songs mentioned. im sure ali would appreciate them all. him and john old tuff guys thats for sure, but kids at heart

checked out the video, nice, and john crackin his jokes bringin a couple of gals to this small town, (actually 3, early dementia maybe lol) anyways and then says then maybe its me and says it probably is me. yeah john it is you becuz the longest distance you have to travel is the space between your head and your heart.

me and my prayer partners still praying for you, wont stop, more stubborn than you.

but one thing i will say is i am very disappointed john that you were not picked for halftime at the superbowl, since indiana is your home state. you and elaine did a lot to help out the state, and i feel you should of been acknowledged for that and honored for that and you should of been picked. its a shame

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:18:53 am by marilynb » Logged

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
Rhonda2
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »

Sorry mellenfan, but there is NO international interest in the Superbowl. It is almost purely a US event. Soccer is what rules the rest of the world. So no way was that the reason for Madonna to do the Superbowl. My guess is Madonna offered herself to do it because she has a new CD/single to promote. Purely commercial interest. It's a shame, I think a lot of people feel they should have asked someone local.

And does 'a couple' always mean two? Don't think it's a fixed number ;-) Anyway his girlfriend sure didn't mind, she was right there at the event as were his sons :-)
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »

I saw a youtube videos showing John singing
"Take some time to Dream" and "Small Town" newer verson. Not the best quality but here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkonLvPybA&feature=related
Thanks for posting.  I saw another one listed on youtube also.
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

It's sideways but here is Save Some Time to Dream at the Ali party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTpHoNLNo2A&feature=related
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:32 am »

It's sideways but here is Save Some Time to Dream at the Ali party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTpHoNLNo2A&feature=related
thanks for the video. yepprs watched it sideways too. lol

Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »

I have watched some of the early Ali interviews with Howard Cossel. He was quite the character.
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »

Watched a good bit of Ali's 70th birthday celebration but missed john's performance.

I also remember some of Al's interviews and matches.  The guy had great charisma. 

As for John's performance, it's excellent.

Mike 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: