John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 01:26:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: No Better than this  (Read 59962 times)
bradsanders56
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:58 pm »

I will always appreciate JM, buy his music, go to his concerts, watch his TV appearances etc...

I also appreciate how JM sings about what is truly in his heart and mind.

But, I have to be honest when I say I have never felt more disconnected with his music than I feel right now.  And, it has more to do with the lyrics than the folk music, although I don't like the folk music.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:08:53 pm by bradsanders56 » Logged

Thank God for Forgiveness
mellenheadinohio
Global Moderator
One of the Crazy Ones...

~~ Paula

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »

i bought this cd this morning and listened to it while driving in the car alone.  yes, this cd is a different sound for JM.  wasn't sure how i'd feel about it. 

maybe it's my mood today, who knows, but overall i like it better than i thought.  there's a song or two that are probably my least favorites, but thats about how most cd's of any artist are.

**sappy post warning**

like i said, maybe it's just my mood today, but as many times as i've heard "Save Some Time To Dream" before the cd release today, this song really 'got me' today.  maybe it was being in the car alone, driving on the interstate, had my undivided attention, etc.), but i had chills, almost teary eyed at times.  the lyrics are so powerful.  the whole time (which means me playing it over and over and over), i couldn't help but think about my grandkids, and the message the lyrics deliver.  this will definitely be 'my song to them'.   and to those of you around me at shows, don't let me cry when he sings it.
kyralexis72
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:04:33 pm »

...and to those of you around me at shows, don't let me cry when he sings it.

yeah, well, we might be having to stop each other, Paula. I had the same reaction today on my way home with it. 

I am loving this CD!!!  i mean LOVING it!  OMG, I can't wait to hear some of these songs live.  I'm sure I'll be crying all the way through, just because the sound is so raw, so real, so alive.  I can't wait to FEEL it like you can only do at a live performance.  I can't get that at home or in my car.

Try to keep your mind open
And accept your mistakes
Save some time for living
And always question your faith

Could it be that this is all there is?
Could it be there's nothing more at all?
Save some time to dream
'Cause your dream could save us all - JM
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:39:53 pm »

It's a good thing that John never played "For The Children" live at my shows, they would have needed a mop.  Still hits me that way, every time.
tattudemellenhead
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:32:59 pm »

Picked up my copy today, only got to listen to about 1/2 of thus far, but liking it.  Smiley   
Best Buy had a nice little promo pic up of John today, of course love to see that.  And I would say they had at least 20 copies of the new release.
davidk55
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:05 pm »

I just love this cd , really nice to hear an Honest stripped down collection of songs  in this day of "modern production garbage" where music just get's lost ..... with this type of recording it lets' the songs speak for themselves ....
   Target stores has it for $7.99 this week which is a Bargain ....... My Only gripes are the packaging is very minimal  & i really wanted this on Vinyl but it seems that release is delayed until late sept.
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:58:35 pm »

Picked up my copy today, only got to listen to about 1/2 of thus far, but liking it.  Smiley   
Best Buy had a nice little promo pic up of John today, of course love to see that.  And I would say they had at least 20 copies of the new release.

Can you snap a picture of whatever the promo pic was? Or can you describe it more? It was something physically in the best buy store?

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »

Can you snap a picture of whatever the promo pic was? Or can you describe it more? It was something physically in the best buy store?

At the Best Buy I went to today the promo poster was the same picture that's in the upper left hand corner of this website, or at least it was from that same photo shoot -- you know the one that was from Interview magazine right after "Freedom's Road" came out. It's nothing new, it's been seen before.
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

I, for one, am lovin' the direction JM has gone with NBTT. The past few years have found me following Americana music and listening to NPR radio more so than mainstream. So, for me, Americana, rock, rockabilly, blues...keep keepin' on John!

I was thrilled when I saw JM was receiving a lifetime acheivement award in songwriting from Americana Music Conference.

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
davidk55
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »

At the Best Buy I went to today the promo poster was the same picture that's in the upper left hand corner of this website, or at least it was from that same photo shoot -- you know the one that was from Interview magazine right after "Freedom's Road" came out. It's nothing new, it's been seen before.
[/quote]

I was in my local Best buy last night & same poster/Photo on the End-cap of the cd section , it's about 4 feet high & a few feet wide & then there is a new cd release rack next to it  above the poster it has the quote "Cd's under $10"
WildNight
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »

Borders is also using the same poster!!
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »

Lets see some pictures of these displays snapped and posted here!
 I was in my local Best buy last night & same poster/Photo on the End-cap of the cd section , it's about 4 feet high & a few feet wide & then there is a new cd release rack next to it  above the poster it has the quote "Cd's under $10"
[/quote]

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
JMTPFAN
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 06:21:00 pm »

I listened only once to the CD so far, and it grabbed me the first time around. I've yet to concentrate on the lyrics, but I really like the music.

The mono is something I'll have to get used to. Playing it louder doesn't enhance the sound, and I like to be surrounded by the sound, loud in my car, which the mono recording doesn't do. The instruments don't sound crisp as they do in stereo.
dusty947
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:18 pm »

The very first time I played it was on the release date as soon as I got home from work.  Followed each song word by word all by myself.

THe second time I played it, I almost knew all the words.  Because it's John.  You know what he is saying the very first time and it clicks the 2nd time you hear it.  I shock myself when I can do that, but I can only accomplish this with his music. 
JMTPFAN
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:17:46 am »

And to clarify: I understand what John and T Bone were going for, and appreciate that aspect of the sound. It's just not the sound we're accustomed to hearing when listening to music.

I listened only once to the CD so far, and it grabbed me the first time around. I've yet to concentrate on the lyrics, but I really like the music.

The mono is something I'll have to get used to. Playing it louder doesn't enhance the sound, and I like to be surrounded by the sound, loud in my car, which the mono recording doesn't do. The instruments don't sound crisp as they do in stereo.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: