John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 09:40:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Better than this  (Read 59961 times)
JMTPFAN
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 04:29:22 pm »

I've still yet to really concentrate on this album, as I'm usually listening in the car all the while daydreaming and going over the work day in my head, too. However, today it occurred to me that John's voice sounds fantastic on A Graceful Fall.
heyheymymy
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 04:04:49 pm »

Hey Guys,
Here's my review of the album all the way from Australia.
Hope I got the references right!
I actually spent a week in Savannah in 1999, what an amazing town.
Cheers

http://www.heyheymymy.com.au/2010/09/05/no-better-than-this-john-mellencamp-rounder/
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

best songs on an overall great album for me are "The West End" and "No Better Than This".
baloo_115
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »

Saw John for the 14th time in St. Louis at the Fox Nov 6th 2010!! Best show i feel i have ever been to!! I feel John is expressing himself through his music the way he has always wanted to. He is so Awesome and he will always be my most favorite artist ever!! The man next to me ask me if there was any John Mellencamp song that I didn't know all the words to! I told him he wasn't a true fan if he didn't know all the words to all his songs old and new! Can't wait to see him again!
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

I'm also enjoying No Better Than This.  What's really amazing about it is the fact that John recorded it in mono and the sound is exceptionally good. (check out my album review on the "All About John" section)  Easter Eve is my favorite song.  I love story songs like that.  The only question I have about the song is, could a 14 year old kid really beat up a grown man?  How tough must that kid be?

Mike
mellenheadinohio
Global Moderator
One of the Crazy Ones...

~~ Paula

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 01:33:56 pm »

sure they could, i can see it happening.
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 08:15:41 pm »

I know this will not be popular, but I feel that boards like this are for opinions and this is my opinion. I have loved John Mellencamp since the beginning and have been to many concerts over the years. I still love John and his music but I just listened to one of my Christmas presents, John's new CD. I have heard some of the songs from it because I have been to his concerts recently and have heard some of the songs elsewhere. If I am completely honest, I can truthfully say I do not like most of the CD. The actual words are good, but I don't like the music to the songs. Many of the songs have a bluegrass or country twang to them. My husband loves bluegrass and country music, but I really don't like that kind of music. I realize John is evolving as an artist, but I am just too old and stuck with the original "Jack and Diane" tune in my head.

I can feel the rotten tomatoes on my face already!!!!!! 

richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 01:18:55 pm »

Keep playing it, it will grow on you.

RichM752rnEverything is cool as can be in a peaceful world.rnrnrnrnrn
petenkaren
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 10:28:00 am »

"I know this will not be popular, but I feel that boards like this are for opinions and this is my opinion. I have loved John Mellencamp since the beginning and have been to many concerts over the years. I still love John and his music but I just listened to one of my Christmas presents, John's new CD. I have heard some of the songs from it because I have been to his concerts recently and have heard some of the songs elsewhere. If I am completely honest, I can truthfully say I do not like most of the CD. The actual words are good, but I don't like the music to the songs. Many of the songs have a bluegrass or country twang to them. My husband loves bluegrass and country music, but I really don't like that kind of music. I realize John is evolving as an artist, but I am just too old and stuck with the original "Jack and Diane" tune in my head." 

I felt the same way when I first heard it.  I only liked Thinking About You.  That was it!  After several listens, No Better Than This, Love At First Sight and Comin Down The Road Grew On Me.  A short time after, Easter Eve had me laughing my A** off. 

It wasn't until I saw John perform these songs in KC, MO that it really hit home.  John loves what he is doing. He is so proud of this music that I simply could not resist.  That said, there are still 4-5 songs that I RARELY ever play, but I can live with that.  HOWEVER, I sure hope he doesn't do this again on his next release.  He normally reinvents himself.  I'd like to think he will feel the need to PLUG IN again.

-Pete
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:30:33 am by petenkaren » Logged

It sure would feel good to feel good again, Oh My Sweet Love...
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:46 am »

Thanks for not throwing rotten tomatoes at me. I do notice there is a red "X" by my earlier post that says "remove." So I don't know if that means I am going to be kicked off the site or someone just wants to remove the post. But anyway, I truly love John Mellencamp's music, but this last CD just didn't do it for me. 
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 08:35:09 am »

Thanks for not throwing rotten tomatoes at me. I do notice there is a red "X" by my earlier post that says "remove." So I don't know if that means I am going to be kicked off the site or someone just wants to remove the post. But anyway, I truly love John Mellencamp's music, but this last CD just didn't do it for me. 

The red X is on all posts that a user make so they could delete their own post if they so desire, it has nothing to do with the content.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 07:49:01 pm »

Thanks, I'm a "dummy." I didn't know what the red "x" was for,
fourloops
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »

Cool

I think a lot of us were WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?Huh when we first heard No Better Than This after anxiously awaiting for it to be released.  I immediately fell in love with Take Some Time To Dream because it is so relatable.  However, we are all so used to "balls to the wall" rock and roll with John, that the last couple of albums (yeah, I am still in that mind-set) left us somewhat confused.  But once you really listen to what John is saying, it works. His song, Longest Days, makes me cry every time I hear it because I lost 2 of my best friends right beore that was released. He is definitely going in a different direction from his early years and, sure, we miss some of that too.  But none of us can be 16 for as long as we can, and we have to respect, admire and listen to what John is writing and singing.  He is the best songwriter/performer of my generation, bar none!

jcooprx
TonyBClubManager
Administrator
Mellencamp Authority

My Name: Tony

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 09:30:44 am »

Thanks, I'm a "dummy." I didn't know what the red "x" was for,

Ha, no worries! We all start at square one and have to figure out things on these message boards.

TonyB Webmaster, Mellencamp.com
Email [email protected] for assistance or questions!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: