John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 09:07:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Jack and Diane" Video Cost $3K  (Read 6487 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:15 pm »

On Oct. 1 1982, John Mellencamp, who was known as John Cougar at the time, enjoyed the first week of a four-week run atop the radio singles chart with his iconic hit "Jack and Diane." Yeah, you know, his song about two American kids growing up in the heartland!

"Jack and Diane" was the singer's first No. 1 hit and he reminisced about the video with VH1 Classic.

"That video was made for $3000," Mellencamp recalled. "I mean, think about the budgets that people have made videos with. I mean the video, if you look at it today is kinda, I wouldn't exactly call it a world-class video. But it was made, I mean a friend of mine, not even a cameraman, shot that video. They gave me some money and I thought well, ‘Okay, let's go buy an 8mm camera and figure out what to do.' It was shot in an afternoon. Not even an afternoon, it was shot in three hours. The whole thing."

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/john-mellencamp-s-jack-and-diane-video-was-made-for-3k/9255821
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:07:38 pm »

And it is one of his best videos, too.  I loved his home-movie type stuff.  The "Small Town" video comes to mind.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »

Wonder how much it would cost to shoot something like that now?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: