John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 03:40:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Was he considered for the Superbowl Halftime show?  (Read 39788 times)
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

I see Madonna is doing it Roll Eyes Angry

Was he intrested and/or considered for it?
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:57 pm »

I heard somebody in the NFL say a few months ago that the Super Bowl is a global event and John isn't popular enough outside of the United States to get offered the chance to do the Super Bowl halftime show. I imagine he would do it if asked, but hearing that gave me the sense that he will never be asked. Unfortunate.
Rhonda2
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »

If the NFL thinks the Superbowl is a 'global' event, they're insane, sorry. It is NOT a global event and there is no real interest in it at all outside the US. Soccer is what rules the rest of the world  Grin

I think Madonna is just a really poor choice for this event. But I guess the NFL wanted someone really famous to attract extra attention or perhaps she even offered herself since she will have an album/single to promote right around that time...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:08:41 pm by Rhonda2 » Logged
kicker
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:04 am »

If the NFL thinks the Superbowl is a 'global' event, they're insane, sorry. It is NOT a global event and there is no real interest in it at all outside the US. Soccer is what rules the rest of the world  Grin

So true, the NFL is simply delusional, there are people within the league who actually believe the Superbowl is the biggest sporting event in the world, what a laugh, and not all Americans like or watch the SB either, i haven't watched one in two decades and i guess i'll miss this one as well, even if John had been chosen he'd be the only thing i'd be watching, the NFL and the SB are nothing but a freak show, let them have Madonna, their loss.
richm752
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:30:12 am »

I like it when the Superbowl is televised. It's a great day to go out and ride your motorcycle. All the idiot drivers are in front of the TV an the freeways are clear of traffic.

RichM752rnEverything is cool as can be in a peaceful world.rnrnrnrnrn
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:52 am »

I think Madonna is just a really poor choice for this event. But I guess the NFL wanted someone really famous to attract extra attention or perhaps she even offered herself since she will have an album/single to promote right around that time...
I couldn't of said it better!!!!! But i wouldn't apologize for saying it.  Everything you said Rhonda I am right there with you. I am by no means a football fan, however, sometimes there are people who are just plain stuck on being stupid.  And the NFL really did just that by picking Madonna.

keep the faith / peace & love

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

What is it with the Super Bowl?  They are finally picking amazing artists, but 2 to 3 decades too late.  Petty, Springsteen, Madonna, the Stones, the Who, Prince.  Those are all awesome choices, but all deserved to be selected back in the 80s (or in Springsteen, the Who, and the Stones case, the 70s or 60s).

Perhaps some of you missed the 80s.  Madonna and MJ ruled it.

John would obviously be an awesome choice too.

God, I miss the 80s!
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »

My #1 heart breaker Tom Petty, The Boss, The Who, and the Stones already did their time with the Super Bowel. As for Prince, I really don't know and Madonna I think she was considered a couple of times before this.  I come from the hippy generation and the music is timeless and still meaningful even today.  I don't believe its too late for anyone from back then. 
And it may be true that John and Madonna were at their peak then, but lets not forget the group U2.  They also played the superbowel.  Back in the 80's there were alot of good artists and good music.  But just like with my generation, in the music industry its a survival of the fittest to see if a group can keep going even today and in the future.  But once again every generation has their turn in the history book.

keep the faith / peace & love

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
Maradona10
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:14:10 am »

Super Bowel.

LOL

Maradona10
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:15:12 am »

What is it with the Super Bowl?  They are finally picking amazing artists, but 2 to 3 decades too late.  Petty, Springsteen, Madonna, the Stones, the Who, Prince.  Those are all awesome choices, but all deserved to be selected back in the 80s (or in Springsteen, the Who, and the Stones case, the 70s or 60s).

Perhaps some of you missed the 80s.  Madonna and MJ ruled it.

John would obviously be an awesome choice too.

God, I miss the 80s!

Please..Springsteen is still selling out 80,000 seater stadiums..a relic of the 70's he ain't.
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:32 pm »

Please..Springsteen is still selling out 80,000 seater stadiums..a relic of the 70's he ain't.

Absolutely no disrespect intended.  The Boss is amazing, and God bless him that he is still thrilling fans like crazy.

But for those who witnessed his 70s shows, and were actually part of it, ...., well better leave it alone.

But, absolutely, see him now and enjoy.

John, to me, is the same.  His shows in the 80s and 90s were beyond belief.

I feel extremely blessed to have gone to them.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »

I guess Madonna has yet to be confrmed and is still negotiating
NewYorker
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:35:01 pm »

Can't even remember the last Madonna
 song I listened too.
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »

The list is not quite as long as my favorite Mellencamp hits, but, off the top of my head:

Dress You Up
Burning Up
Crazy For You
Holiday
Into The Groove
Angel
Lucky Star
Material Girl
Borderline
Open Your Heart
Papa Don't Preach
La Isla Bonita
Live To Tell

Well, that's just from before 1987. 

Madonna's live shows, especially her early shows, featured her dancing as well as her music.  The live concert video "The Virgin Tour" is of course legendary.

And for those of you who loved and love John's looks and stage presence --  for many of us fans, Madonna took that to a whole new level.  Her "Desperately Seeking Susan" movie was an early peek at the quality actress and amazing beauty that she of course conquered the world with a few years later.  And I don't just mean beautiful.  She was drop dead gorgeous.  Her videos of course defined the medium.  Like Michael Jackson, she worked with the best people in the business, and it showed.

John's in good company. 
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

Regarding the "pre-1987" period, I forgot to mention "True Blue" as yet another Madonna hit.

And, while we are talking about the 80s (or, at least I am) many of us tended to frequent dance clubs or aerobics classes "back in the day".  I don't need to emphasize the huge influence Madonna had in the world back in those days.  And please, don't forget, John's most commercially successful period was the 80s too.  And why not?  From American Fool through Big Daddy, John established his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame credentials during that amazing decade.

And I will be happy to talk about John's contributions in the 90s and 2000s too.  Whenever We Wanted was tremendous, Human Wheels perhaps even better, and Key West and Just Another Day showed John at his absolute best in the mid-90s. 

His Columbia debut showed what legions of us always knew -- that John is an amazing song writer, singer, and performer.  We all knew he was awesome, and the late 90s only confirmed what we all had known for so long.

And, to carry it forward just a little, I maintain that "Cuttin' Heads" is on a par with his best 80s stuff.  That album, which he showcased live on NBC's Today show the week before 9/11 (and in Manhattan, no less), is the "type specimen", in my opinion, of John's mature career.  His music will always be brilliant and timeless.  And though I have a special affinity with his late 70s / early 80s pre-stardom period, I proudly proclaim his brilliance into the 2000s and, let us hope, into the 2010s and beyond as well.

But of course I am preaching to the choir here.

In fact, let's get off Madonna and start a groundswell to get John selected to a Superbowl.  It would be icing to a career that many of us knew would be brilliant three decades ago.

We are endlessly proud of you, John. 
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: