John Mellencamp Community
April 25, 2024, 08:13:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mellencamp lyricist dies, is remembered  (Read 11266 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:07 am »

Mellencamp lyricist dies, is remembered
IDS Reports

His lyrics are some of John Mellencamp’s most recognizable and helped bring him great fame and notoriety.

He was the  man behind the words of “Hurts So Good,” “Human Wheels,” “Minutes to Memories” and “Crumblin’ Down.”

Long-time songwriter for John Mellencamp, George M. Green, died at the age of 59. Like Mellencamp, Green was an Indiana native and lived in Bloomington for some time. The two had a partnership that lasted for most of Green’s career.

Green would write lyrics and Mellencamp would augment and edit them to fit what he liked, Mike Wanchic, who has been band leader for Mellencamp since 1978, said.

Wanchic compared Mellencamp and Green’s work ethic and creativity to that of Elton John and Bernie Taupin — forming lyrics and music that led to a number of hits.

“One of my most favorite songs is ‘Minutes to Memories,’” Wanchic said.

Wanchic added that Green’s work ethic and great mind went beyond writing for just Mellencamp. Green also wrote lyrics for other notable artists such as Hall & Oates, Barbara Streisand and even some British groups.

Glenn Gass, professor of music at the Jacobs School of Music, reminisced about a visit that Green paid to one of his classes. “He came to one of my classes years ago in the '80s when he was writing all of those hits for Mellencamp,” Gass said. “He was shy, sweet, humble, content to be behind the scenes, happy to contribute and get none of the limelight.”

Gass said he believed that not only was Green a commendable lyricist, but also that Mellencamp would agree that Green’s efforts made him a better writer as well.

After moving from Bloomington, Green landed in Taos, N.M. It was there that his health deteriorated and he started to lose touch with those he used to know, Wanchic said. Despite his death, however, Green’s memory lives on in the chords of each hit Mellencamp’s band plays.

“He was considered a good friend, a part of the family,” Wanchic said. “He was one of the best lyricists I knew, and clearly America concurred.”

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=82559
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:58:14 am by walktall2010 » Logged
dolly23
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:27:52 pm »

So true about the comparison to Elton John and Bernie.
These are some of John's finest work.
Condolences to his family and the Mellencamp Band Family.
mitch1982
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:57:41 pm »

Have to agree with Mike, Minutes to Memories is one of my top five.  Love the vision and the sentiment.  Such a loss.
cge333
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:54:33 pm »

Back in 1999 I chatted with Moe Z after a show and he mentioned Minutes to Memories as his favorite as well.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 01:04:35 am »

very sad to read that he died.

"Minutes to Memories" surely is among the best songs Mellencamp did.
I would like to add "It All Comes True" to the list of high quality songs co-written by George Green.
his liner notes on the Scarecrow album played a great part shaping my interest in John´s music and this part of America.
he was a great lyricist.
cge333
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:11:57 am »

I agree about It All Comes True.  I typically include it on my own Mellencamp's Greatest Hits CD's and play it in regular rotation.
jeffreyjack
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »

I still remember (as I should, given that it is on the Behind The Music show) where John showed his exasperation with record companies, and the music business in general, when he lamented that the record company only got "one of the best songs George Green and I ever wrote" [Human Wheels, the single] to some low-level ranking on the charts.  John has had so many close friends and colleagues pass away prematurely that it is seriously messing with my head.   I have always felt John demonstrated his excellence by the people he chose to work with, and nowhere is this more true than with George Green.  He will be missed.

My prayers are with him and his family.  When I kick, I absolutely intend to look George up.  If he puts up with the line of admirers in front of me, that is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: