John Mellencamp Community
April 25, 2024, 02:53:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: George Green Is On His Deathbed  (Read 20980 times)
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:05:07 am »

Someone alerted me to the following tweet on Twitter Saturday night regarding John's longtime friend and songwriting partner, George Green:

@GMGoodpaster
Please pray for my Uncle George. He's near death in a hospital. He's a Grammy nominated songwriter with gold #1 singles for John Mellencamp

For those who don't know, George and John were friends since childhood. George was a gifted lyricist and co-wrote the lyrics to many of John's early and middle-period songs, including "Hurts So Good," "Crumblin' Down," "Minutes to Memories," "Rain on the Scarecrow," "Human Wheels" and "Key West Intermezzo." Apparently they had a falling out sometime around 2000 and haven't written anything together since that year's "Yours Forever" from the soundtrack to the movie "The Perfect Storm."  John spoke briefly about their falling out in the liner notes to the "On the Rural Route 7609" box set.

Please pray for George. He was a big reason John got a record deal in the first place, and it wouldn't be a stretch to say that John wouldn't have had the career he has had without him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:28:20 am by walktall2010 » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:56:49 am »

Very sorry to hear that.
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:18 am »

I will pray for him too.
walktall2010
Global Moderator
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:18:07 am »

It looks like George has passed away. So sad. Please keep the family in your prayers.

@GMGoodpaster
Please pray for my mom. Her brother George just passed away this evening. He is well known for his songwriting with John Mellencamp.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:19:38 am by walktall2010 » Logged
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:43:13 am »

i am so sorry to hear about George. i hope he went home peacefully. i will notify my prayer partners to lift everyone up.
also too we have been lifting john mellencamp in prayer too and have been for quite awhile now. i just feel such a sadness in my spirit for him.
also for you we will pray too

keep the faith / peace & love
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:33:04 am by marilynb » Logged

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:55 am »

It looks like George has passed away. So sad. Please keep the family in your prayers

Yes, George's family is in My prayers. RIP

also too we have been lifting john mellencamp in prayer too and have been for quite awhile now. i just feel such a sadness in my spirit for him

Why have you felt sad for John for quite awhile?

sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »

Here is a blog about the passing of George M. Green.

http://thatnashvillesound.blogspot.com/2011/08/songwriter-george-green-passes-away.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
sheilafarmer
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:04 am »

I am so sorry to hear that he is gone. He was very gifted. I will pray for his family and friends.
cge333
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:07:50 am »

Very sorry to hear this.  I went to school with George's daughter Carrie Green.  George has written songs that have touched and spoken to all of us.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:34:39 am »

He was only 59 Embarrassed

Former Bloomington resident George Green, 59, died Sunday in Albuquerque
slm1206
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:25 pm »

Oh that's very sad. He wrote some of my favorite songs. Cancer is a very scary word.
I had planned to go see John in November in Louisville, but was diagnosed with breast cancer about the time the tickets went on sale. So I held off because I'm not sure how I will feel at that time. I have previously seen John several times in Louisville and last November at the Ryman in Nashville. I live about equal  distance from Louisville and Nashville. Hopefully, my health will improve and I can see him again soon. Smiley
marilynb
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:43:57 pm »

It looks like George has passed away. So sad. Please keep the family in your prayers

Yes, George's family is in My prayers. RIP

also too we have been lifting john mellencamp in prayer too and have been for quite awhile now. i just feel such a sadness in my spirit for him

Why have you felt sad for John for quite awhile?

In answer to your question mellenfan,  I see Johns relationships with women as a heartbreak.  I used to trudge that road too with  men.  And it can get pretty lonely.  Thats why prayers are going up for him.
keep the faith / peace & love

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: