John Mellencamp Community
May 02, 2024, 06:36:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scarecrow Released 26 years ago today...  (Read 15098 times)
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »

...according to this tweet by Masterdisc.

Masterdisk 26 years ago today, John Cougar Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" released on Riva Records, mastered at Masterdisk

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
jamiebeets
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »

Damn I'm old...
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:08:27 am »

I'm probably older! 31 years following JM come September.

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
jamiebeets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:50:50 pm »

You got be beat by a few. I became a Mellencamp fan the second time I heard "Hurts So Good"(82). Oddly enough, the first time I heard it I thought it was a pretty dumb song by a dude who wasn't very good. The second time I heard it I thought, "You know, that song isn't all that bad". Mellencamp has been my favorite singer since then.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »

Cant believe you have been that long!
Smalltownboy
One of the Crazy Ones...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:42 pm »

For me, Pink Houses did it.  It's the one that got me hooked.  I love that song back then, still love it.  Another one was Small Town. 

Mike
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:00:41 am »

I became a fan, from a second row stage left seat, at a Kinks concert on Sept 9, 1980. John Cougar and the Zone was the opening act. I was unfamiliar with his name but knew "I Need A Lover" and "Ain't Even Done With The Night" from radio play. John's show blew me away and I became a fan that night. I remember him jumping on Mike's back, sitting on the side of the stage to sing "Great Midwest" heard the infamous "I Need A Lover" with an added obnoxious remark and covering "Hang On Sloopy" with some racy lyric replacements.  So yeah, in a few weeks marks 31 years!

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
jamiebeets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:38:12 pm »

It's funny that you mention "Aint' even done with the night", because John doesn't seem to care a whole lot for those early records, at least that's what I've been led to believe. I think the "John Cougar" album was fantastic as was "Nothin' Matters". A little on the pop side, but great records all the same.
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »

It's funny that you mention "Aint' even done with the night", because John doesn't seem to care a whole lot for those early records, at least that's what I've been led to believe. I think the "John Cougar" album was fantastic as was "Nothin' Matters". A little on the pop side, but great records all the same.

You're so right. He really doesn't seem to care for these songs. I embrace them all. He always made a point to make every record different. I can car jam to John Cougar as much as I can to Life, Death, Love, and Freedom.

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:36 am »

I remember him jumping on Mike's back, sitting on the side of the stage to sing "Great Midwest" heard the infamous "I Need A Lover" with an added obnoxious remark and covering "Hang On Sloopy" with some racy lyric replacements

wow, Thats something you would not see today  Cheesy
sugarmarie_1980
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:12 am »

I remember him jumping on Mike's back, sitting on the side of the stage to sing "Great Midwest" heard the infamous "I Need A Lover" with an added obnoxious remark and covering "Hang On Sloopy" with some racy lyric replacements

HA! No, it isn't. He is fast approaching 60 though and he mentioned several years ago his daughters told him he is getting too old to dance on stage...that he looks silly.

I was really bummed when the Paper and Fire dance stopped. LOVED those moves.

This getting older
Ain't for cowards
This getting older
Is a lot to go through
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:31:41 am »

HA! No, it isn't. He is fast approaching 60 though and he mentioned several years ago his daughters told him he is getting too old to dance on stage...that he looks silly.

awwwww Cry He is sooo not to old! He still looks great and still gets a little groove on during his shows Grin He obviously still enjoys it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: