John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 04:44:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Udine, IT Show Update  (Read 60002 times)
jakesmom204
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 05:06:05 pm »

Just a thought, but don't you think the biggest part of this whole thing might be the language barrier?  I saw this tour near the beginning and thought it was the best that I have seen.  And this was my 28th show over 17 years. But a very big part of this show had to do with the songs and the stories behind them and this might have been a very difficult task to present with the same effect to a foreign audience. There were funny and touching stories but the language issues might have made it difficult for JM and the fans both.  It was hard enough to listen to the stories at my shows with folks screaming out their requests.  Imagine trying to tell a story or joke to someone who may know your songs, but not understand the conversation you are having. It seems that is a big problem with the movie at these recent shows, and we all know how unlikely it is for JM to change the entire format of a show during a leg of a tour.  Cut out most of the stories and conversation and you're left with a much shorter show. As much as I loved this new show, it seems that the European audiences were expecting more of the greatest hits shows from the past 20 years, and it's hard to blame them when it's been so long. 

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

susan_shanks
Authority Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:56:47 pm »

I bet the food was good.

Olive Garden is pretty good. hehehe
BTW, I agree about the language barrier.
fingam
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:12:17 am »

In Europe there are dozens of english speaking singers/bands touring every year and they usually fill every single seat from small clubs to theaters, arenas and stadiums.

Mr Mellencamp sings in English (or in american English if you prefer) not in an old Mongolian language, so the language barrier is only in his mind. He had to learn how to report with  international fans but he failed.

Next time, please phone your colleague in New Jersey for some advice.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:06:46 am by fingam » Logged
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 03:16:01 am »

if you don't give them a solid show, you lost them. And Mr Mellencamp lost everything in Italy.  Game over.

Not me... but I'm an english speaking italian fan!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I guess the problem was the documentary which was too long compared to the live show.
Anyway I liked the concert. Wink
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:33:31 am by Lynyrd1967 » Logged

Alex
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »

I totally agree with jakesmom204. many people here think they understand the music when they can sing along with the refrain, but they dont seem to get the message. the audience in london totally different reacted to the movie and also interacted to the songs in contrast to the continental audiences i experienced.

today´s show in zürich clearly showed that it´s the italians who are to blame and not John. without decent organisation no good concerts.
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:16:22 am »

without decent organisation no good concerts.
You're damn right.

Alex
LittleStevenMilano

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 05:09:37 am »

I totally agree with jakesmom204. many people here think they understand the music when they can sing along with the refrain, but they dont seem to get the message. the audience in london totally different reacted to the movie and also interacted to the songs in contrast to the continental audiences i experienced.

today´s show in zürich clearly showed that it´s the italians who are to blame and not John. without decent organisation no good concerts.

I don't agree, anyway my two cent on my one and only show with John (Vigevano)

- I enjoyed the show on overall
- I waited 39 years for this show to happen in my country, after hearing Jack&Diane on a FM station somewhere in the states in 1982. Maybe the expectation were too high
- I (still) consider John a great artist/musician but something went wrong here in Italy, if we read what happened; still we are not aware of “what” was wrong
- I appreciated John latest wosk, including NO BETTER THAN THIS and I was not expecting a greatest hits tour, only a “whatever” but played with heart and soul; John puts his heart in his songs, sometimes you didn’t notice too much
- My view of John on stage was like he was tired or thinking to something (unpleasant) else, what?
- The show was somehow disappointing, but we had some very high peaks during the shows with very good music
- I did enjoy the docu/film, but clearly this was too long (before a show) and became an obstacle to audience who wanted live music; besides languiage, maybe a 30 minutes abstract (without live songs you were going to hear in minutes) with italian subtitles OR introduced by a brief explanation could have been better..especially if you were standing unseated since 6.00 pm...until 10:30 before starting
- We Italians have many things to be blamed for, not  on how we receive bands and artist from abroad; among dozen of artists playing small clubs (see for instance a great person and musician such as Joe D’Urso, which of course can’t be compared to John but I like the way he is “acting” ) they play hard and at 110% in front of small audience, but you never come out from the show “unsatisfied”
- UDINE cancellation seems like Bonaparte's defeat in Waterloo..what  is wrong with us?
Besides the show itself, which will be in my heart in any case, it seems that first and only Italian tour became a nightmare, still we do not have an official statement from the entourage, and we are reading about good shows everywhere else...

Here's one of my picture taken on July 9th, thanks John & the band for coming, I fear there will not be anothjer chance soon, unfortunately
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:09:31 am by LittleStevenMilano » Logged
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 07:06:43 am »

here's one of my picture taken on July 9th:

A very beautiful snapshot. I agree with you about your post but in Rome many fans expected at least 2 or 3 songs more.
A question: are you the famous "Little Steven" from the Loose Ends forum??
If yes, I'm Quinn Eskimo and I appreciate that that you are a JM's fan too.
 Wink

Alex
LittleStevenMilano

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 09:31:58 am »

A very beautiful snapshot. I agree with you about your post but in Rome many fans expected at least 2 or 3 songs more.
A question: are you the famous "Little Steven" from the Loose Ends forum??
If yes, I'm Quinn Eskimo and I appreciate that that you are a JM's fan too.
 Wink

nope, I am LittleStevenMilano/Mila almost everywhere in the Bruce world from BTX to GL etc, now "retired"  Smiley, if you mean italian forum this "LittleSteven" is someone else, if you mean BTX either, by the way glad to hear from you and glad to have seen John at last
twelve

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »

30 year I waiting for JM to see his live show,250 km in one way to Udine and at end  concert is canceld.Until today  nobody know why,from evrybody silence.This is not respect for your Fan dera J.Mellencam,this is not proffesional, in my "concert life" over  34 year,nobody  canceld concert without reson.Dear Mellencamp your are in Hall of Fame you must play for 1.not only for 10000 fan, is this fan pay ticket.I drive 500 km to see this concert and nothing,this evening in Udine I was very angry.Around me in Udine people from Slovenia,Croatia and one man from  Sweden who come in Udine just to see Mellencamp. Just becouse this

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:37:09 pm by sharonc » Logged
Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:47 am »

I heard that many italian angry fans will go to the last show in Switzerland to express their feelings "politely"
RS Gold
Buy RS Gold
Cheap RS Gold
I can talk about myself. I was there to enjoy another rockin' Mellencamp's show.
I didn't see angry Italian fans hanging baseball bats.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Alex
nikawa

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 11:01:42 am »

I heard that many italian angry fans will go to the last show in Switzerland to express their feelings "politely"
RS Gold
Buy RS Gold
Cheap RS Gold
I can talk about myself. I was there to enjoy another rockin' Mellencamp's show.
I didn't see angry Italian fans hanging baseball bats.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIFE GOES ON....THE LITTLE BASTARD BECOMES A GREAT FIJO DE NA' MIGN.TTA
crock61

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 04:05:50 am »

you're right
forget this "artist"
last night great concert with a true artist for italian farmers with nose rings
JOE ELY
.... and a great guitar player ... probably the best .... David Grissom
do you remember???
.... forget Mellencamp ... does not deserve anything
i'am another italian with nose rings.....

Lynyrd1967
Experienced Mellenhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 08:08:34 am »

you're right
forget this "artist"
last night great concert with a true artist for italian farmers with nose rings
JOE ELY
.... and a great guitar player ... probably the best .... David Grissom
do you remember???

Great Joe Ely.... I've seen him many years ago at Big Mama, in Rome, the Roman house of blues where I saw artists like Calvin Russel, Dave Alvin and many others (and where I too had the privilege to play).
Great artist and what to say about Dave Grissom? One of the best guitar players I've ever seen (I still remember the great session I did in London, during the Whenever we wanted tour). Hats off to them!!! Wink

Alex
Decom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 03:50:03 pm »

I see John in Paris and was great, and also in Vigevano, great too...without 3 song on the set...but was great too !!! I've waited him for a long long time,and just the moment when he came out on the stage was enough to think that I've spent my money well. I think that in Italy there was not enough person that waited for him like a lot that waited someone like Springsteen, ... I feel this,and I think He feel too...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: