John Mellencamp Community
March 28, 2024, 08:31:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Visit Mellencamp.com's NEWS section for all of the latest updates!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Munich  (Read 19332 times)
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »

the show in munich tonight was a little strange, I must say. "Circus Krone" was sold out, on a hot day I expected a great rockīnīroll night, but in my opinion the audience just wasnīt up to the level.
John and the band as always did their best, but the people just didnīt give them the feedback they deserved. I dont know why, and I donīt want to think too much about it. I just felt a little sorry for John and the band.
only at the very end most people stood up, danced and sang along. before it was mostly just sitting and listening. respectful, but difficult for an artist, I think.
John did not tell any stories like he used to before "Save some time to dream", "Jackie Brown", "Cherry Bomb", only short intros for "The West End", "Easter Eve" and grandma-story for "Longest Days".
the shows I have seen before in berlin and london were much more emotional for both band and audience. today was different.
but I enjoyed every song and had my fun!

the setlist was the same as in the shows before.
probably the most worthy note could be that he sang the original "Small Town" lyrics ("...married an LA doll and brought her to this small town...")
dont know if Meg Ryan is from la. she left after "Small Town". in berlin she danced behind the soundboard until the last song.

hopefully tomorrow stuttgart will be more emotional again!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:08:26 pm by turmbird » Logged
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:43 pm »

John and the band as always did their best, but the people just didnīt give them the feedback they deserved

Thats a shame. He seems to thrive on audience participation. His band is amazing and deserves feedback. Hope it goes better next time.

she left after "Small Town". in berlin she danced behind the soundboard until the last song.

At this point she must have seen his show dozens of times. LOL
She didnt dance this time?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:18:47 pm by Mellenfan71 » Logged
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:03:25 am »

no she didnt dance at all, she sat on her chair next to the sound engineer and looked wondering as well about the strange audience.

the band really did their best again, their performance was brilliant and John also was great, though it was obvious that his mood wasnīt the best. this is why "John Cockers" was a highlight for me yesterday, he yelled out "I dontīneed nobody", I liked this a lot!

munich is a stupid city, the people there think they are the best in the world, a kind of a wanna-be-high-society. yesterday they definitely didnīt deserve John and the band.
i only can hope that today in stuttgart it will be normal, i know there are real fans here who like myself have been waiting for all these years to see these shows. shows like munich or glasgow shouldnt affect the band, what I read, heard and saw myself about this european tour was totally positive!
hopefully Stuttgart today can add to this overall impression.

for you americans it must be crazy to read this stuff, if anybody is interested in it at all. you are used to sold out stadium tours, Johnīs a superstar at home and the band is used to stadium atmosphere. but he has his fans here as well, and I only can thank everyone once again for coming over to play here.
I take it as a huge present, itīs like christmas and easter eve on one day!
Tramp69
Mellencamp Community Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:56:39 am »

I still think he should mix up his setlist a little bit. It must be kind of boring not only for himself and the band but also for the fans following him around Europe (like you  Wink) and of course for Meg Ryan! Grin

By the way: How was the reaction of this lame crowd to the movie? Must have been even worse, I guess.
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:16 am »

Munich video: People booed because he started real late.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11An_eTHyrc

YouTube Video Of "check it out" . Looks like the front row got up to rock.
They livened up during R.O.C.K too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9s5-xUlXco
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:34:24 am by Mellenfan71 » Logged
Tramp69

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:47:46 pm »

I was just reading a review about that show on the Springsteen-Fan-Website www.greasylake.org from a woman who was at the show. She also was very unsatisfied with the show and complained that the doors  opened just shortly before 8 p.m. and the film was already playing. JM then didnīt appear on stage before 9:45! I can imagine that people who didnīt know what to expect start booing. I mean, they were booing in Berlin when John came on stage at 9:25, but to wait another 20 more minutes could be a little bit too much.

Although I really liked the show in Berlin I still think that the whole package of that show sucks. John really should re-think that package, but it seems that he just doesnīt care at all what the fans want. That is kind of sad. Sad
Mellenfan71
Certified Mellenhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:59:19 pm »

I read the review too tramp69.  Sad

JM entered the stage in front of a VERY pissed off Munich audience. Not a brilliant start. ( he entered the stage accompanied by a booming voice which praised him as member of the Rock’n’Roll Hall of Fame, award winning musician and so on – I couldn’t believe my ears, such self-praise being repellent IMHO)
He sure could have calmed down the angry crowd with a few kind words – but he didn’t. And that was why I got finally pissed off. He wasn’t interested in his fans at all.
He never said a nice word the whole evening, played his show, not even 2 hours – and vanished without an encore. Apparently the Munich crowd had got HIM pissed off because it had dared to boo him.
Tramp69

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:07:32 pm »

Smiley Seems, there are a lot of fans of both! Wink
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:33 am »

in munich something must have gone wrong from the very start.
the doors opened only at about 7:40, then the security checks took too long, only one door opened. at other shows several doors were open, people just showed their ticket and walked in. this must have been a local problem caused by the event.
after entering the venue, people couldntīnot go straight to their seats, but had to wait again "outside" where the drinks and merchandise was, this took another 10 minutes. the stewards said something of "little problems inside", but nothing concrete.
this all made some people already getting upset a little. then the film which would have been ok at about 30-40min, but taking 60min this was too much for the crowd. then the break which at other shows used to be 15-20min, in munich it was 40min. this was the last drop for people to get pissed off. they lost their last dicsipline and showed no interest in the Johnny Cash song which for me is a great intro. but from then on all was wrong.
John and the band must have noticed it, no reaction by a seemingly offended crowd.

in my opinion something must have happened behind the stage, it was all not normal. of course an announcement could have calmed down things, but who knows what was wrong, in life there are things better not to talk about.
despite understanding the reason to get impatient, i think itīs not good to show oneīs negative feeling that obvious. why wait so many years, and then react like this?
the songs were great and worth every minute waiting, but munich just didnīt want to get it.
turmbird
I'm ROCK-in' In The USA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 07:51:04 am »

let the music do the talking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La6UHjbfrME
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: